Shami's impact in Indian condition is phenomenal

On 10/26/2019 at 10:35 AM, rkt.india said:

The issue is teams have more right handers than left handers. So, left arm pacers will have to bowl always all the time from round the wicket when there is no swing or seam. This the biggest reason i don't rate left arm pacers who rely on swing and seam in test cricket as they are less effective against right hand batsmen if there is no help. But they are are effective in LOIs due to the angle they create.

Whether a right hand bowler or a left hand bowler, if he is a swing bowler, and the pitch doesnt assist then the result will be the same. I dont understand why would you want to single out a left hand bowler. 

And it doesnt matter whether you are swing/ seam bowler or an out and out express bowler, if you dont have bowling intelligence, you will fail on any pitch. A left arm pacer will always use angles to create uncertainty in batsmen, he will always alter lengths to surprise/ shock batsmen. That is bowling intelligence. If you dont have it, you will always be average. 

Left and right has got nothing to do with it.

On 10/26/2019 at 11:55 AM, Muloghonto said:

Not much bottle-capping for Akram really as far as I know. After the whole Bottlecap allegations in England series, Waqar dropped a few notches ( Immy was already gone) and careers like Aaqib Javed etc tanked a lot. Akram was also the most successful Pakistani pacer of this period and honestly the online one I can like, mostly coz he remained effective even after it.

Tailend bashing is a bit overplayed. Yes it inflates his wicket count easy but he was an extraordinary tail basher and regularly taking the last 2-3 wickets for 10 runs is an extremely powerful option to have long term as well. So I don’t necessarily view it negatively either . And this was mostly due to his utter mastery of swing. Tailenders are really most succiptible to movement in the air and Akram had that. 

I believe he manipulated with the ball even in the 99 test series, during the tour to India and Asia cup. There were several instances of that, and around that time, the cameras wouldnt show as much close ups as they do now. In any event, there were loads of instances of cheating by pakistani players, dropped catches being claimed as fair catch, unfair run outs forced to be given by them, not walking out even when out by Pakistani batsmen etc. And Wasim Akram was the leader of the pack. 

A legendary bowler for sure, but he was hell of a cheat. Cant forget how he absolutely screwed Waqar younis's career.

But yes, I agree he didnt use bottlecaps as much as others. He was very sharp as a bowler, and had many a trick up his sleeve to outfox batsmen. 

52 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Whether a right hand bowler or a left hand bowler, if he is a swing bowler, and the pitch doesnt assist then the result will be the same. I dont understand why would you want to single out a left hand bowler. 

And it doesnt matter whether you are swing/ seam bowler or an out and out express bowler, if you dont have bowling intelligence, you will fail on any pitch. A left arm pacer will always use angles to create uncertainty in batsmen, he will always alter lengths to surprise/ shock batsmen. That is bowling intelligence. If you dont have it, you will always be average. 

Left and right has got nothing to do with it.

If there is no swing, batsmen can always leave deliveries going with the angle. It does work in LOIs when batsman has to play.

3 hours ago, rkt.india said:

If there is no swing, batsmen can always leave deliveries going with the angle. It does work in LOIs when batsman has to play.

You are thinking very one dimensional. Theres a load of thing which could happen, angling in and mixing.

Edited by Rightarmfast
50 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

You are thinking very one dimensional. Theres a load of thing which could happen, angling in and mixing.

As muloghonto said if bowler goes round the stumps and angles in, he risks going into danger zone. It is easy for right because teams usually don't have as many left hand batsmen than right handers. So left armer will have to bowl a lot from round the stump than a right armer.

Also, I am not saying that left armer cant be successful but if we look at the history, there have been handful of great left armers in test cricket like Akram, Davidson but Davidson was quick, etc, maybe Boult to some extent.  

10 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

As muloghonto said if bowler goes round the stumps and angles in, he risks going into danger zone. It is easy for right because teams usually don't have as many left hand batsmen than right handers. So left armer will have to bowl a lot from round the stump than a right armer.

Also, I am not saying that left armer cant be successful but if we look at the history, there have been handful of great left armers in test cricket like Akram, Davidson but Davidson was quick, etc, maybe Boult to some extent.  

And whats the total sample space? Your argument doesnt hold water. And that is because no of left armers have always been less in international cricket. So, for argument sake, if there were 50 left arm fast bowlers between 1980-1999, as against 150 right arm pacers, then in all probabilty only 3 left armers would be great. However, in the same ratio, 9 right arm pacers would be great. 

Thus giving an impression that there are more right armers who are great. However the fact being, the sample space has been very low. 

9 hours ago, rkt.india said:

He may not be dependent but they did use bottlecaps and got benefited.

Can you point me to some online literature where this bottle cap thing is described at length. All I know is that Imran had mentioned about it in some interview which subsequently raised questions about the legitimacy of reverse swing. 

Would be interesting to read more on this.

38 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

And whats the total sample space? Your argument doesnt hold water. And that is because no of left armers have always been less in international cricket. So, for argument sake, if there were 50 left arm fast bowlers between 1980-1999, as against 150 right arm pacers, then in all probabilty only 3 left armers would be great. However, in the same ratio, 9 right arm pacers would be great. 

Thus giving an impression that there are more right armers who are great. However the fact being, the sample space has been very low. 

And why there are so less number of left armers in international cricket? It's not like countries don't left armers in their domestics. There is no dearth of left armers in domestic cricket even in India but hardly anyone makes their mark. You can count just 2-3 good to great left armers in history. It's not just a coincident. They hardly make it even in domestic. 

32 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

And why there are so less number of left armers in international cricket? It's not like countries don't left armers in their domestics. There is no dearth of left armers in domestic cricket even in India but hardly anyone makes their mark. You can count just 2-3 good to great left armers in history. It's not just a coincident. They hardly make it even in domestic. 

Again you are under a wrong impression. To make such a statement, you will have to take the ratio of left arm people as against righties. And the ratio difference will be pretty high, which should correspond to the left:right bowler ratio. 

And you are wrong, the no of left arm pacers in domestic is not the same as right arm pacers. The ratio again will correspond. So, we come back to the same point, a smaller sample space will obviously give a smaller no.

17 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Again you are under a wrong impression. To make such a statement, you will have to take the ratio of left arm people as against righties. And the ratio difference will be pretty high, which should correspond to the left:right bowler ratio. 

And you are wrong, the no of left arm pacers in domestic is not the same as right arm pacers. The ratio again will correspond. So, we come back to the same point, a smaller sample space will obviously give a smaller no.

It still does not justify just 2-3 notable successful test pacers in history.