Why are we reluctant to develop or pick the next gen 140 k + pacers ?

55 minutes ago, abc said:

The point is, even then, with an average pace of 131 kph, his steep bounce and accuracy made him a very difficult bowler to face, and a bowler every team would select if they could.

There is no reason why Porel could not develop into *that* bowler.

Highly skilled pacers, with international cricket experience of say 8 years or more, have sometimes succeeded at lesser pace. 

In such cases, the lack of extra pace has been mitigated by extra experience.

Which is why we shouldn't compare bowling speeds of rookies with really experienced pacers.

I agree that tall. hit-the-deck and bouncy pacers can succeed at a lesser pace compared to shorter pacers ... even if they are inexperienced.  ( 135 k to 145 k or higher may not essential in such cases, )   But speeds of say 132 k to 142 k is still preferred. 

Edited by express bowling
10 hours ago, abc said:

The point is, even then, with an average pace of 131 kph, his steep bounce and accuracy made him a very difficult bowler to face, and a bowler every team would select if they could.

There is no reason why Porel could not develop into *that* bowler.

If Porel is bowling 131 at 22 then he won't. He won't survive international cricket. You forgetting the  years of international experience McGrath had when he was bowling 131.

Pacers for the ODI vs WI

Chahar

Bhuvi

Shami

Dube

3 medium pacers and only 1 fast bowler 

Not a single young fast bowler chosen for development purpose  ... despite this being an inconsequential bilateral ODI series.

Why are we desperate to go back to the 1980s all-trundler attack ( barring Kapil)  ?

23 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Pacers for the ODI vs WI

Chahar

Bhuvi

Shami

Dube

3 medium pacers and only 1 fast bowler 

Not a single young fast bowler chosen for development purpose  ... despite this being an inconsequential bilateral ODI series.

Why are we desperate to go back to the 1980s all-trundler attack ( barring Kapil)  ?

who should have been in the squad?

20 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Not a question of " should ". 

Develop atleast 1 young quick bowler in this format, with the WC 4 years ago. 

Candidates include Saini, Mavi, Prasidh, Avesh.

Mavi and Avesh are fit. 

By playing or making them part of the squad? I would want them to be part of the squad and learn to bowl these international batsmen.

On 11/20/2019 at 9:59 PM, express bowling said:

Highly skilled pacers, with international cricket experience of say 8 years or more, have sometimes succeeded at lesser pace. 

In such cases, the lack of extra pace has been mitigated by extra experience.

Which is why we shouldn't compare bowling speeds of rookies with really experienced pacers.

I agree that tall. hit-the-deck and bouncy pacers can succeed at a lesser pace compared to shorter pacers ... even if they are inexperienced.  ( 135 k to 145 k or higher may not essential in such cases, )   But speeds of say 132 k to 142 k is still preferred. 

Ability to bowl consistently in high 130s must be a minimum criteria for any quick to break into Indian squad. McGrath was a once in a lifetime bowler, Porel wld do well to model himself on someone like Hazelwood

10 hours ago, putrevus said:

By playing or making them part of the squad? I would want them to be part of the squad and learn to bowl these international batsmen.

Mavi could have easily been in the ODI squad.

Could have worked under Arun / Kohli / Shastri.

I feel that ODI is the best format for introducing young pacers, especially bilateral ODIs against weaker teams  ( The T20 format is too brutal for the bowlers but we keep introducing young pacers via this route )  ( Test match berths are too precious and not easy to give to rookie bowlers )

29 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Jofra Archer bowling 135 k to 141 k mostly, in his first spell in NZ.

The English talking about how he bowled 150 k during the Ashes.  

@Mosher@Suhaan@Rightarmfast

Damn ... I thought I was posting this in the Speed and Performance thread.   :phehe:

Somebody should show this to Bhogle and Manjrekar. 

And for fark sake, its about time we introduce Mavi, Avesh, Saini, Siraj to the world. 

3 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

And for fark sake, its about time we introduce Mavi, Avesh, Saini, Siraj to the world. 

Absolutely. !

And Prasidh too. 

People should demand an explanation as to why a new quick was not tried in a bilateral ODI series vs WI, with the WC 4 years away.

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

Jofra Archer bowling 135 k to 141 k mostly, in his first spell in NZ.

The English talking about how he bowled 150 k during the Ashes.  

@Mosher@Suhaan@Rightarmfast

Damn ... I thought I was posting this in the Speed and Performance thread.   :phehe:

135? I am saw him trundling at 129, 130, 132, 131, 130, 130 for an entire first over of a new spell.

Edited by Cricwala
1 minute ago, express bowling said:

Great  !

I missed those overs. 

Heard the English saying that he is bowling high 130s to early 140s.  

They are hiding their low speeds as usual.  :phehe:

Those speeds were 6 balls of one over i watched, but yeah, he's looked pedestrian. Earlier, i saw Grandhomme bowl at 118k, which tells me we are too harsh on players like Shankar, Dube when they bowl in mid 120s - if u can learn to do little bit with the ball and keep things tight, 125k is ok for a 5th bowler in tests or 6th bowler in ODIs

14 minutes ago, Cricwala said:

Earlier, i saw Grandhomme bowl at 118k, which tells me we are too harsh on players like Shankar, Dube when they bowl in mid 120s - if u can learn to do little bit with the ball and keep things tight, 125k is ok for a 5th bowler in tests or 6th bowler in ODIs

I am a strong supporter of having any kind of 5th bowler, who is a seamer, for tests outside Asia.  Even if he is bowling 115 kph but can bowl a few tight overs.

Because this allows the frontline quicks to bowl with full intensity in their spells instead of becoming work horses ... especially on flatter tracks.

Someone like Dube is needed as a big hitter at No.7 in LOIs. His bowling is a bonus and is ok if he is the 6th bowler and not the 5th.