ICC to consider mandatory four-day Tests

Stan AF

To me this is a ridiculous move to mess with test cricket. ICC seems to make changes just for showing they can make changes and is not an inept body. Do you think this will solve the lack of crowds. If a test doesn't have crowds in 5 day cricket, would it matter if it would be shortened to 4 days. This is a dmubcheck for those believing this will solve the problems. If people don't have time to watch test cricket, no amount of new regulations will increase the interest in tests. If day night tests can't attract crowds, then it makes sense that nothing will attract them. I enjoy test cricket not just because I'm a fan but also believe the cricketer is duly tested and focus is laid on the cricketing abilities, mental strength and the cricketers' ability to overcome or adjust to the different conditions.

I have few reservations about this new proposal

1. According to the rules proposed 4 day format, 98 overs can be bowled per day resulting in a loss of 58 overs. That's an obvious problem.

2. I don't know how they are able to bowl 98 overs in a day. If players cannot even complete the scheduled 90 overs in a day, how are they going to stick to 98 overs in 6 hours of playing time. Are they going to increase the playing time. If so, it automatically negates the lack of time excuse that they are trying to push.

3. How are they going to deal with rain washing out a days play. It will mean 58+98 overs lost instead of just 90 overs

4. Conditions change over a period of 5 days. Spinners will get affected in SENA countries. Basically it will be like a first class game rather than a test match. Many fans don't know how much of a leap it is for a young cricketer from 4 day cricket to a test match. The honor of playing tests will be gone

I'm glad that people like Mcgrath have opposed this move. I think this move is being made to reduce the days spent on test cricket so that the cricketing calendar can be full of lucrative t20 leagues and JAMODIs. It so happens that cricketers are playing more than their predecessors a couple of decades ago. Why is so much cricket played when you have so little interest and the crowd is busy with their jobs or have the attention span of a child. Maybe just maybe they should reduce cricket a little. That will spur interest and make the crowds come to the stadiums. ICC is too greedy that's what it points to.

Why haven't they reduced test match prices so that a normal joe can come and watch. Nobody in their right mind will watch an India vs Afghanistan test match if it costs Rs 1-2k. If they are reduced to a few hundred, then there will be more participation from the crowds. Anyway they gain money from tv rights which bombard the audiences with unlimited ads. Too much greed will spoil it for everyone. Its not test cricket that's the problem. The ICC is the problem. If this happens, I would lose all interest in cricket.

Edited by Real McCoy
1 minute ago, putrevus said:

Making it more fan friendly experience at test cricket is what is needed not all this gimmicks they are trying these days.Sub-continent is worst, you are asking people to sit in sun without any roofs and stadiums don't have basic amenities like toilets also.You can't take even water to stadiums.

Wow :shock:  Agree on providing basic amenities. I went to Chennai test against Aus in 2001. We had toilets and other basic stuff like drinking water and stuff. We were also able to bring water bottles of our own and some people also brought their lunch and snacks too. 

8 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Making it more fan friendly experience at test cricket is what is needed not all this gimmicks they are trying these days.Sub-continent is worst, you are asking people to sit in sun without any roofs and stadiums don't have basic amenities like toilets also.You can't take even water to stadiums.

yup one of huge factors is this  and someone like dravid has pointed it out openly 

4 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Wow :shock:  Agree on providing basic amenities. I went to Chennai test against Aus in 2001. We had toilets and other basic stuff like drinking water and stuff. We were also able to bring water bottles of our own and some people also brought their lunch and snacks too. 

Is it the case even right now?2001 we had huge crowds now we don't have those crowds in test matches.

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

Is it the case even right now?2001 we had huge crowds now we don't have those crowds in test matches.

Don't know but these facilities must be available in cities like Chennai, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Pune and Nagpur. I don't think highly of Delhi grounds and other cities. there is also another factor - pricing. Most people are put off by the greed of the board who gain more money thorugh TV rights. Also more work pressure and less free time as well. But I would wage that whenever they have some free time, they would definitely go watch a game because with the amount of grounds we have, nobody knows when the next game is gonna be played in their cities.

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

Don't know but these facilities must be available in cities like Chennai, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Pune and Nagpur. I don't think highly of Delhi grounds and other cities. there is also another factor - pricing. Most people are put off by the greed of the board who gain more money thorugh TV rights. Also more work pressure and less free time as well. But I would wage that whenever they have some free time, they would definitely go watch a game because with the amount of grounds we have, nobody knows when the next game is gonna be played in their cities.

They are not in Hyderabad as many have told me. Pricing is another issue, I think the local associations get the gate money.Test cricket is great way to get school kids on field days. They should offer school kids free passes for schools who arrange their transport.They are better than empty stands.

another option is for the ICC to have a detailed analysis of the  trends  w.r.t the results that have been created in various grounds thru out  and then make the test a  '4 or 5 day affair'  depending on the trends. For instance  it wouldn't be a bad idea to make  it a 4day affair if  'India plays BAN in India'

because of the quality of opposition 'BAN' & venue of play 'India' .   Similarly a match played in a  ground which has been bowling friendly and has been yielding results with in 4 days  for some time too can be made a 4 day affair depending on the

'gap between the 2 teams involved' .These type of criteria need to be considered  to make it a 4/5 day affair.

17 hours ago, putrevus said:

Agree strongly  !

Let the hosting board decide it themselves if the opposite team deserves 5 days or not. In that way  the big 3 can play 4 day matches against Sri Lanka, west indies , Bangladesh , NZ , Pak and choose to play 5 day matches against each other.  If the lower ranked team can defeat or draw them in 4 days it will be an insult to them and they can play their next bilateral for 5 days aginst the same team.  

This way we can give the weaker board the flexibility to save some dollars on match fees and logistics.