Dravid thinks Fielding in t20 cricket is fundamentally overvalued

On 1/30/2020 at 12:03 AM, Khota said:

Dumbest statement ever by Dravid. He is the coach of Indian team and makes an irresponsible statement like that. I knew he was a poor fielder himself but to devalue fielding is wrong.

We don't know the context here, or the full statement right? I'll give Jammy the benefit of the doubt, of course that doesn't mean everything he says is 100% accurate all the time.

8 hours ago, Cricspin said:

Dravid was a poor fielder ? You are not serious, are you ? 

He was no Jadeja in ground fielding but not a poor fielder. He was an exceptional catcher (Slips, Close up or inner ring). I have to check again, but I believe he does have the record for catches in tests. He kept wickets when needed and was generally a good fielder. I will take him in the inner circle or slips over a more fit Virat for example. Yes Virat can jump around better but Rahul would drop way less catches and the difference in run saved will be minimal impact compared to the dropped catches.

I don't think he is trying to de value fielding..

Greatest batsman ever, no doubt about it but not the best athlete on the field either. You always end up with more catches in slips so those numbers are deceiving. His goal should be to strive for the best standard in fileding but to say something like he did is wrong.

Edited by Khota
8 hours ago, R!TTER said:

We don't know the context here, or the full statement right? I'll give Jammy the benefit of the doubt, of course that doesn't mean everything he says is 100% accurate all the time.

With most of the games being decided in over 18 to 20 fielding is most important in T20.

6 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

How crucial was that superb fielding effort by  Samson. He saved 4 runs.

Yes that's true. But you see Dravid already mentions that position along with the other boundary riders as requiring gun fielders. It's the four guys in the inner circle who you can compromise with being avg ground fielders as long as they are terrific in their primary skill set.

For ex : If you already have say Pandey, Iyer, Virat, Jadeja, Samson in your team, do you still need to select a Manoj Tiwari over Pant knowing that Pant is not that great a fielder compared to Tiwari but is a safe enough catcher. Virat did this mistake in the 2016 ipl where he replaced an in form Sarfaraz with Sachin Baby. The change didn't really work out as the team really missed Sarfaraz's batting in the playoff and final.

An over that highlights the importance of fielding: 

• 9.2 Fielder was well off the line. It could have been a catch but resulted in a 6
  • 9.5 could have been stopped for a 1 but went for a 4 

This is where the coaches have to push youngsters to work harder on their fielding and game sense. If the coaches, captain, etc., undervalue fielding, the youngsters may not grasp its importance, take it easy, and put this aspect of their game on the backburner relatively  

Of course, the above point does not take away from the fact that the over was bowled rubishly. A big fat zero for the bowler .... NZ studied the bowler  so the batsmen anticipated his moves, so credit to NZ for its gameplan!

Edited by zen
9 hours ago, R!TTER said:

For some reason people from the South, especially TN, continue to be god awful fielders. Ashwin & now Sundar :facepalm:

Are you talking about same South where Samson and Manish Pandey are from? Kartik and Vijayshankar are brilliant fielders and they are from TN. Ashwin is no worse than Chahal in the outfield and a much better slip fielder.