NZ vs Ind | 2nd Test | Christchurch | Feb 2020

zen

9 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Didnt Sachin take over captaincy at the time when there was match fixing by Indian players in the Indian team?

Tendulkar took it because every player dreams of it, and everyone thinks they can do it especially when young-he was 23 when he first became captain. . But after captaining for 2-3 years, he realised its not for him. Thats what I meant by him being level-headed, and being able to accept an inferior batsman & dominating personality like Ganguly as captain. Thats why that generation was special - Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Kumble all accepted Ganguly's lead despite being more senior/compatriots etc.

Dhoni - Kohli have behaved like total autocrats and hence destroyed the team espirt de corps which gave the 2000s team a more resilient edge. In Kohli's team, even seniors like Pujara, Rahane are not settled because they know that emperor Kohli can have a brainfade any time and drop them, change batting order etc.

6 hours ago, Laaloo said:

What a dumbass. He has certainly batted like a drunkard so far on this tour.

this guy is a teenager in an adult's body - arrested mental development. How could selector's miss such obvious flaws while identifying a leader - or is it just pick best player in team and make him captain type 'thinking' which runs Indian cricket? I am confident Kohli will learn 0 lessons if we lose this match - he will just shrug it off. That might be a good initial way to cope with things for an individual player, but a captain needs to reflect, analyze, take the correct lessons and then make sure the team gets better. I fully expect Kohli to turn up for Australia series with same cocky attitude, zero planning, we will still be guessing about opener, keeper, spinner, No. 6....Shastri will make same empty noises.

Maybe dada ensured they play a day-nighter in Aus to ensure the hammering is total, thus easing his path for regime change? :police:

Edited by Cricwala
11 hours ago, rollingstoned said:

yea i can't imagine he will want to give up captaincy unless it gets to a level where we are performing so poorly that we have no choice but to replace him even while retaining him if he isn't going to altogether get dropped from the team. He's only following in dhoni's footsteps who hung on until it was obvious to everyone that he was done. to compound matters and to be fair to him - kohli does get dogs abuse on here despite how good he is - the intensity at which he plays and captains isn't sustainable really unless he has a lot of breaks.

in the current team all of ashwin, rahane and rohit sharma will make better captains than Kohli imo. The issue is it's not clear if any of them are the first name on the team sheet in test matches which is a problem.

Rahane might raise his game if given responsibility - right now, he seems confused about what tempo to play at and that is causing too many mental errors. But if selectors agree with ICF and think Rahane is done and should be replaced with Gill, I would go with Agarwal - he seems to have a mature head on shoulders and is right age 29. For LOIs, go with Rohit till 2023 WC and KL/Iyer after that.

3 minutes ago, Adi_91 said:

Is that the only one in NZ’s innings thus far?

yes. Bumrah did beat the batsman a few times. Shami bowled a peach. Problem was none of them were hitting the stumps even though ball was within the stumps. Umesh missed the off stump by a coat of varnish. Umesh was the closes to get the batsmen out a couple of times. Bumrah's deliveries bounced over the stump even from his normal length. 

2 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

yes. Bumrah did beat the batsman a few times. Shami bowled a peach. Problem was none of them were hitting the stumps even though ball was within the stumps. Umesh missed the off stump by a coat of varnish. Umesh was the closes to get the batsmen out a couple of times. Bumrah's deliveries bounced over the stump even from his normal length. 

I don’t know if they will come out today with a plan to bowl fuller. If not, they will be on the field for the best part of Day 2 and 3.

Edited by Adi_91

Im expecting today for NZ to get to a lead around 80-100 and be bowled out tomorrow by lunch time.

The Indian 2nd innings should be dismantled by Tea time, with the remaining wickets to be taken before stumps on Day 3 with India failing to make NZ bat again. I also expect Kohli to use all the Indian reviews while batting to prevent players like Pujara and Mayank to stand up and deliver a counter attack.

This will have two fold effect, it will allow Mr and Mrs Kohli to not only to get an extra two days of shopping in NZ but also to give them the opportunity to sight see in NZ before they embark on another shopping and sight seeing exhibition in South Africa.

Well timed Mr Kohli.