NZ vs Ind | 2nd Test | Christchurch | Feb 2020

zen

7 minutes ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

The approach of Pujara and Rahane was deplorable.

If they had shown a little bit intent the lead would be 160-170 now.

They got lost and tangled up there yesterday.  Still it could have been a different story if they had somehow survived till stumps.  shoulda coulda woulda  - typical Indian away test tour.  

fuuuuuuuuuuck this sucks.

I do not get why people are surprised and looking for excuses for Pant's failings. He was never good at playing a backs-to-the-wall gritty fifty (like Saha's MoM unbeaten 50s on the Eden Gardens greentop).

Pant's speciality has always been high-risk knocks in fairly benign conditions and low-pressure situations - like setting up a declaration or some Hail Mary in a dead rubber of an already lost series. And to make matters worse, he is not particularly proficient at his main job, i.e., wicketkeeping.

For me, the main take-away from this series is how poor the analytics of the game is when it comes to estimating the worth of real wicketkeeping. In a sense, we did see Pant get outplayed by NZ's Saha (i.e., Watling), but I doubt we will have significant statistics to make people who get all their understanding of cricket from looking at scorecards see that.

Edited by abc