2020 French Open

I6MTW

I know we all will keep fighting and also have fun but on a side note, good to see Other Sports of this forum section alive again. I think with site being active again, other sports will only get better. Hopefully pandemic stays away so we can have some good ATP discussions in 2021 season.

13 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

I know we all will keep fighting and also have fun but on a side note, good to see Other Sports of this forum section alive again. I think with site being active again, other sports will only get better. Hopefully pandemic stays away so we can have some good ATP discussions in 2021 season.

We also have Olympics next year, host it here rather than chit-chat, usually sees decent participation. 

5 minutes ago, Gollum said:

We also have Olympics next year, host it here rather than chit-chat, usually sees decent participation. 

I always try to do that. I think last time we did decent until India athelwtes were done.

Yep, we should be good I think. 

Feel free to start other sport or leagues related threads too whatever interests. 

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

With 0 ATP Finals (which even Dimitrov, Zverev, Tsitsipas have won)

With 65% majors in one event and close to 70% total titles on clay

With less number of weeks at #1 than Lendl, Connors never mind Fed, Nole, Sampras

Sure. 

God of Clay 100% agree. 

I was absent the last few days in the forum, because of some issue, the site didn't open for on my mobile. I assumed the site was down , but now it turns out it was active the last few days. 

I wasn't able to post much regarding the SFs and wasn't able to answer your post on regarding whom I was gonna support. As a Federer fan neither of them sounded appealing to me. Lately I've been beginning to dislike Nole and for some reason Nadal not so much as before. I guess Nole's on court behaviour since last year hasn't done me any favours . I know Nadal does it as well, but recently he's toned it down. Another reason reason, is Nole's resume is overall better than Nadal's, it's more rounded. He's more competitive at other slams so he would have had a better chance to surpass 20 slams had he won this one. But, Nadal even if he wins more slams, his resume is heavily skewed towards clay, plus no WTF or any major indoor title like Paris . Plus he's missing, Miami and Shanghai. Less weeks at no 1 etc. At best he can be co-goat, which makes fans of both Fed and Rafa's happy. 

The real loser is Djokovic. The records he has are the double career masters as well as most masters titles and soon to be most weeks at no 1.  He will also tie Sampras for most YE no 1. But, Olympic gold and DCGS would almost seal the debate against Fedal. Right now I'd still say Federer is ahead(ever so sightly), followed by Nadal, and then Djokovic, because despite all the other achievements, it's still the Slams that matter the most and he's these behind them. If he had won the FO, he might almost certainly be the GOAT.

Now on to the match, bad tactics from Djokovic overall, the dropshot was a mess, it was not going to work on Nadal, he wasn't playing like his normal level on clay, maybe because if the Tsitsipas match, but that game was hardly 3 and a half hours, Nole wouldn't have got tired with his superhuman stamina. Also there was no injury, he just brought it up during the PCB match, in the SF and Final he looked fine. The main reason is Nole's level has declined on clay in recent years . I guess that happens to eveey good clay courter(Nadal being the exception because he's the God of clay), even Federer declined on clay once he reached the mid 30s.

Now Thiem is the only challenger left. But, OHBH will never beat rafa at RG. Is there any one who can beat Rafa during the coming years? Or is he all set to win RG till he is 40+.

9 hours ago, I6MTW said:

Now Thiem is the only challenger left. But, OHBH will never beat rafa at RG. Is there any one who can beat Rafa during the coming years? Or is he all set to win RG till he is 40+.

Maybe Sinner after 2-3 years. But at this point we are only throwing names....King of Clay can win 5 more RGs if he stays fit. I expect him to change his schedule in late 30s and target just RG :((

He should never have won the 2 USO crowns since 2017, those were gifts. I can make peace even if he ends up with 20 RGs, but 7 non-clay majors (same as Agassi, McEnroe...more than Edberg, Becker) for him is too much. 4-5 would have been fair!!!!

44 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Maybe Sinner after 2-3 years. But at this point we are only throwing names....King of Clay can win 5 more RGs if he stays fit. I expect him to change his schedule in late 30s and target just RG :((

He should never have won the 2 USO crowns since 2017, those were gifts. I can make peace even if he ends up with 20 RGs, but 7 non-clay majors (same as Agassi, McEnroe...more than Edberg, Becker) for him is too much. 4-5 would have been fair!!!!

That's all because of Surface homogenisation. He wouldn't have won this many non clay slams in any other era.

First two sets Nadal was playing at RG 2008 F level, maybe even higher. How does one wind back the clock like that on such a physically demanding surface at the age of 34-35? Just how? No one saw that coming, not even the experts, literally no player in history of the sport can go toe to toe with that version of Nadal on PC.  Such an intimidating prospect, facing Nadal on that court, and that occasion!!!!

And what does all this tell us about this guy.....much greater feat than multiple GS IMO.

Robin Söderling - Wikipedia

Soderling on Nadal: 'His motivation is amazing' - Roland-Garros - The 2020  Roland-Garros Tournament official site

29 minutes ago, Gollum said:

First two sets Nadal was playing at RG 2008 F level, maybe even higher. How does one wind back the clock like that on such a physically demanding surface at the age of 34-35? Just how? No one saw that coming, not even the experts, literally no player in history of the sport can go toe to toe with that version of Nadal on PC.  Such an intimidating prospect, facing Nadal on that court, and that occasion!!!!

And what does all this tell us about this guy.....much greater feat than multiple GS IMO.

Robin Söderling - Wikipedia

Soderling on Nadal: 'His motivation is amazing' - Roland-Garros - The 2020  Roland-Garros Tournament official site

I rate this guy's victory over Djokovic's 2015 one.

But some say Nadal was injured, was he really? 

8 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

I rate this guy's victory over Djokovic's 2015 one.

But some say Nadal was injured, was he really? 

No but his tards give the excuse that his parents were going through divorce proceedings then, or living separately...something like that, don't remember. Silly if you ask me, is he the only person to suffer family/personal problems?

44 minutes ago, Gollum said:

No but his tards give the excuse that his parents were going through divorce proceedings then, or living separately...something like that, don't remember. Silly if you ask me, is he the only person to suffer family/personal problems?

Yea I've heard that as well. Also the tendonitis excuse. 

I feel Alcaraz or Sinner can challenge Nadal in 3-4 years. But that would mean Nadal at 37-38, he would have shown significant decline for players to take advantage of. 

That was some thrashing, a payback for the AO 2019 final lol. Nadal was just dialed in from the first game and Djokovic didn't serve well in the first set which allowed Nadal to run away with the match. Nadal's level dropped a bit in the 3rd but still managed to do enough to close it in 3. 

Edited by zep1706