14 yr old Indian-American girl won $25,000 for a discovery that could lead to COVID cure

Texy

8 hours ago, retired_hurt said:

Indian kids in US on the other hand are busy memorising english dictionary for spelling bee to make their parents proud.

Indian kids are smart and hardworking. They are using/training their brains at young age which will inevitably build a better brain. Instead of Using bongs/gong/drugs, I will say, they are creating fine example for rest of population.

Edited by mishra

15 hours ago, mishra said:

Indian kids are smart and hardworking. They are using/training their brains at young age which will inevitably build a better brain. Instead of Using bongs/gong/drugs, I will say, they are creating fine example for rest of population.

Acing spelling bees isn't going to come handy in the future. Also, most of them are doing are parental pressure. I doubt these young kids are enthusiastic about spending hours daily learning how to spell difficult words.

Indian parents should have focussed on their overall development instead of making them a rattu tota and bragging about their achievements to fellow indians.

Edited by retired_hurt

2 hours ago, retired_hurt said:

Acing spelling bees isn't going to come handy in the future. Also, most of them are doing are parental pressure. I doubt these young kids are enthusiastic about spending hours daily learning how to spell difficult words.

Indian parents should have focussed on their overall development instead of making them a rattu tota and bragging about their achievements to fellow indians.

Offcourse, acing wont help in literal sense. Now let me give you a similar example in UK context. In UK we have something called 11+ exams (11+ means when child has reached 11 years)to get admission in Grammar schools. Advantage of grammar school is that its admission criteria is based on academic test based selection which effectively means that kids going to that school are academic and offcourse, most likely wont be involved in drugs and bully or knife crime.

To crack the exam, Child has to be good at English and decent in other ability like maths reasoning. I come from India and knew that I am at disadvantage as language spoken at home is not English. So, when my child was not even 5, I started reading her bed time stories by borrowing books from library to develop her interest, When she was 10, schools conduct a test as to what level the child is at Reading, Its scored between 1-10. Just to undertand the levels, If you could barely read what character "Bart" is writing on blackboard at start of "The Simpsons", You are probably at level 6-7. At age 10, she was at 8+. By age 12 she was finishing 20 novels each over 400 pages in just a fortnight. Not only that, you could discuss basic ideas of gravitation, friction, atomic structure and she could understand. Why was she able to understand? Because she has allready gone through so many books and stories that her brain is developed.

I am sure the kids in US, acing those spelling bee exams are not reading dictionary. They are also reading thousands of books, which would be opening their brains to new ideas and views.

PS: Thousand of books means thousands of books. They are not just interested in spending time in front of television. They allready know allmost every story of kids/teen movies before its even conceptulsied. They want to read more. their concentration level is of highest order. For example, I have never finished a complete novel. I will say wait and watch how this new generation of Indian kids (born to IT/Doc/professional parents) flourish in next 20 to 30 years globally.

Edited by mishra

7 hours ago, retired_hurt said:

Acing spelling bees isn't going to come handy in the future.

Acing spelling bees helps these get into big Ivy League colleges in the future . That’s the point. Indian parents are not stupid to waste their kids time if the result has no benefits.

Edited by Global.Baba

31 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Acing spelling bees helps these get into big Ivy League colleges in the future . That’s the point. Indian parents are not stupid to waste their kids time if the result has no benefits.

"Beta agar Stanford mein full scholarship mila, then papa will buy you a Tesla. Chalo chalo padhai karo"