Food thread

coffee_rules

On 12/31/2020 at 2:07 AM, Austin 3:!6 said:

Shaan Masala

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Aunty-national :whack:

Seems its catching on in India as well, which can be a good thing in the future, more we trade less we fight

https://www.livemint.com/mint-lounge/features/why-shan-masalas-have-a-cult-following-in-india-11594362984344.html

13 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

I will try cooking gobi Manchuri tomorrow, seems doable

The key is batter consistency.  A bit too thick and it doesn't crisp well, bit too thin and it doesn't stick well.  Bajji batter is much more forgiving.  With this, I had to experiment a lot, and even now, I just have to go by feel (and not by the water/flour proportion that any recipe gives).  Once you have that down, gravy and flavoring is all you.  

Next quest:  should try it in the air fryer (cutting down on deep fry).  

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

7 hours ago, Clarke said:

Aunty-national :whack:

Seems its catching on in India as well, which can be a good thing in the future, more we trade less we fight

https://www.livemint.com/mint-lounge/features/why-shan-masalas-have-a-cult-following-in-india-11594362984344.html

Shun Shan.

Only Everest (for Chole and Pav Bhaji) and MDH (for garam masala).  

3 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

The key is batter consistency.  A bit too thick and it doesn't crisp well, bit too thin and it doesn't stick well.  Bajji batter is much more forgiving.  With this, I had to experiment a lot, and even now, I just have to go by feel (and not by the water/flour proportion that any recipe gives).  Once you have that down, gravy and flavoring is all you.  

Next quest:  should try it in the air fryer (cutting down on deep fried food. Once in a while, you got to deep fry stuff in oil. Will show some pics later...Use sesame oil for sauce and avacado oil to deep fry gobi.  WIll publish results...

I hate air fryer. It is like organic food, a myth.  

Once in a while, you got to deep fry stuff in oil. Will show some pics later...Use sesame oil for sauce and avacado oil to deep fry gobi.  WIll publish results...

Edited by coffee_rules

7 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

I hate air fryer. It is like organic food, a myth.  

Once in a while, you got to deep fry stuff in oil. Will show some pics later...Use sesame oil for sauce and avacado oil to deep fry gobi.  WIll publish results...

My kids made me buy one.  I agree, it is just not worth the hype.  Only thing that came out great in it so far has been chicken wings.  

On 2/13/2021 at 9:13 AM, coffee_rules said:

I will try cooking gobi Manchuri tomorrow, seems doable

Wait what?

No longer a food 'purist'?

After berating me and a whole host of others for liking fusion street food, with 40 lines of exposition on 'pure' food, now Coffee sahab here wants to try Gobi manchurian.

Tuaada kutta tommy, sadda kutta kutta?

Or as @FischerTal's fav Govinda would say

Tum nacho to naach, hum naachein to ta ta thaiyya? 

Edited by Mariyam

31 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Wait what?

No longer a food 'purist'?

After berating me and a whole host of others for liking fusion street food, with 40 lines of exposition on 'pure' food, now Coffee sahab here wants to try Gobi manchurian.

Tuaada kutta tommy, sadda kutta kutta?

Or as @FischerTal's fav Govinda would say

Tum nacho to naach, hum naachein to ta ta thaiyya? 

Gobi Manchurian is an Indian dish, no way Chinese can eat so much spicy. I have never tasted anything near it in Chinese restaurants. 

Trick was to use avacado oil to fry gobi dipped in maida and corn starch batter. Use toasted sesame oil for the sauce. Didn’t use any Chinese ingredient except of soy sauce and rice vinegar 

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Gobi Manchurian is an Indian dish, no way Chinese can eat so much spicy. I have never tasted anything near it in Chinese restaurants. 

Trick was to use avacado oil to fry gobi dipped in maida and corn starch batter. Use toasted sesame oil for the sauce. Didn’t use any Chinese ingredient except of soy sauce and rice vinegar 

dont take all the credits for spicy food 

our food is spicy but not all our dishes are spicy hot .. butter chicken is spicy but spicy sweet  :whack:

schezwan cuisine is as spicy hot as andhra cuisine ..  and some of the korean dishes are spicy hot as well

28 minutes ago, Clarke said:

There should be a thread on food that one finds revolting

Pineapple pizza

Milkmaid maggi

Pasta Dosa

Veg Biryani :p:

etc

Forget dishes.  Let's talk specific ingredients or even vegetables or fruits.

I don't dislike anything in the vegetarian range, and am even okay with meat odors.  But Fish sauce is a big no-no.  If I am at a restaurant and get wrongly served something with chicken or bacon bits or whatever, I'll just put up with it rather than waste it. 

But I draw the line at fish sauce.  Thai restaurant.  Communication problem.  Forget to hold fish sauce.  Dish goes back or someone else at the table can eat it.   

4 hours ago, velu said:

dont take all the credits for spicy food 

our food is spicy but not all our dishes are spicy hot .. butter chicken is spicy but spicy sweet  :whack:

schezwan cuisine is as spicy hot as andhra cuisine ..  and some of the korean dishes are spicy hot as well

Schezwan is not spicy at all, it's spicy in India. Chend Du cuisine is the spiciest of all Chinese cuisine

The Indo-chinese versions are called Pan-Asian cuisine for some reason.  Korean, I agree, it is almost as spicy as Thai. 

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

:facepalm: sheepish

I worked in a lab with a bunch of Chinese students and research scientists.  From all over China.   One of them was from Chengdu and her husband was from a small city also in Sichuan.  Their spice tolerance was off the charts.  Even the ones from Beijing ate significantly more spicy than the typical American Chinese restaurant.  One of their staples was the home made chili oil - added it to everything like uppinakaayi.  Lip-smacking awesomeness!  I still make it.  

The best Chinese meal I've had in a restaurant in this part of the world?  Peaceful Restaurant in Vancouver, BC, Kaneda.  Handmade noodles ... and spicy if you ask for it.