Food thread

coffee_rules

7 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

masala peanuts/ peanuts masala , is perfect with beer.

Kaju pepper masala for whiskey 

Man yeah, spicy peantus, spciy kaju in particular tastes great with good old whiskey/beer. 

Also these days I try Bhujia on the side- some spicy alooo bhuji types whichever available in the Indian store.. 

3 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

These are most famous Dosa joints - MTR, Janatha. CTR, VB in Bangalore . Watch both parts

Janatha sucks, avoid.

CTR Benne Masala is good but they serve only Chutney, no Sambhar. Anyway since the main item is so good you won't miss side dish. 

Best part of Bengaluru stay is all these legendary food joints (best IMO being New Krishna Bhavan) are so close to my residence, Malleswaram is just a stone's throw away. A couple of years back me and my friends would have breakfast every day at Veena Stores, after a game of football. 

Edited by Gollum

Just now, Gollum said:

Janatha sucks, avoid.

CTR Benne Masala is good but they serve only Chutney, no Sambhar. Anyway since the main item is so good you won't miss side dish. 

in Karnataka authentic ways, Dosa is supposed to be had with alu palya and chutney. Sambhar with dosey is a Chennai import. I grew up eating like it, without sambhar. So. In Bangalore circles, Dosa without sambar is considered more original and authentic. 

Also, Airlines hotel in central Bangalore has that convenience of eating in the car , parking. Like Sonic joints in US. I remember doing it in smaller towns like Hassan, Mandya or even Mysore. @Mariyam spoke about it in the Mumbai thread. Very few in Bangalore has that convenience. But, I prefer an ambiance of a street or a hotel to sit and eat.

9 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

@velu proof that it was prepared first for the Mysore Maharaja and hence it got the name of Mysore Pak

Pleaaaase take Mysore Pak, I am sure whole of TN will breathe a collective sigh of relief. Tamils have their Macroon (Tuticorin ones :hungry:), Tirunelveli Halwa, Kozhukattai, Jangri etc to feast on, no one apart from velu cares about MP. Granted Tamil sweets are behind Bengali ones but at least now the Mysore Pak burden is unchained from their necks. Enjoy your Dosa sans Sambhar and Mysore Pak dessert, might as well drink Karela juice to wash all that down :eviltongue:

Edited by Gollum

10 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Egg Lovers...

I've always had an issue with trying to translate everything into Anglo-accessible terminology.  Vade= Donut?  Aappam = steamed rice bar? WTF?  Just call it Vade and Aappam.  I understand reaching out to a wide audience, but sometimes there's just not an equivalent.