27 years Ago: Greatest death bowling by an Indian bowler

maniac

11 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Unfortunately six years of impactless stat-padding doesn't qualify as an exception :((

6 years :hmmmm2: .... you mean Ind won tests (or failed to draw) in 82, 83, 85, 87 :woot: .... or did you do some weird math by equating 3 wins (1 in 84 and 2 in 86) as 6 years of impactless by one player (anyways, I expect such things on forums) :lol: 

Also Ind drew/tied 68 tests b/w 71 & 87, show how many potential wins were converted into draws by the original midget (must be a huge proportion since you feel the need to discuss it) :dance:

Edited by zen
12 hours ago, zen said:

6 years :hmmmm2: .... you mean Ind won tests in 82, 83, 85, 87 :woot: .... or did you do some weird math by equating 3 wins (1 in 84 and 2 in 86) as 6 years of impactless by one pla(anyways, I expect such things on forums) :lol: 

Also Ind drew tied 68 tests b/w 71 & 87, show how many potential wins were converted into draws by the original midget :dance:

It's pretty clear what I mean but I will be kind enough to spell it out for you :winky:.

Original selfish midget played 46 Tests across six years from from 82-87 against non-minnows of his time with 0 50+ scores in wins. Others stepped up every now and then (even tailenders like Kirmani) to help us win Tests but the midget couldn't do that even once. Definition of low impact stat-padding. 

Edited by Jimmy Cliff
1 minute ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

It's pretty clear what I mean but I will be kind enough to spell it out for you :winky:.

Original selfish midget played 46 Tests across six years from from 82-87 against non-minnows of his time with 0 50+ scores. Others stepped up every now and then (even tailenders like Kirmani) to help us win Tests but the midget couldn't do that even once. Definition of low impact stat-padding. 

means zilch 

Just now, Jimmy Cliff said:

Equal to Gavaskar's impact in India's Test wins against non-minnows from 82-87 :winky:.

Based on that weird logic, more shame on Kapil, the bowling leader, (bowlers need to take 20 wkts to win matches) for failing to rise up more to the occasion in that period 

For e.g. went wicket less v Aus in 1986 :((

14 minutes ago, zen said:

Based on that weird logic, more shame on Kapil, the bowling leader, (bowlers need to take 20 wkts to win matches) for failing to rise up more to the occasion in that period 

For e.g. went wicket less v Aus in 1986 :((

What is so weird about expecting the most high profile players to make some half-decent contributions in a winning cause over a 6 year period? Vengsarkar, Shastri, Kirmani et all were playing alongside the same set of bowlers. They could step up and lead us to a few wins including an away series win in England. Gavaskar couldn't. QED.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

What is so weird about expecting the most high profile players to make some half-decent contributions in a winning cause over a 6 year period? Vengsarkar, Shastri, Kirmani et all were playing alongside the same set of bowlers. They could step up and lead us to a few wins including an away series win in England. Gavaskar couldn't. QED.

"Weird" on multiple counts for indicating that the entire period is impactless when

• tests have 3 results (win, draw/tie, loss)
  • Ind only won 3 tests (that too against 1 side) in "that" period 
  • Gavaskar has won and drawn Ind (not a top side in the 80s) many tests
  • Gavaskar did well in many games in that period, which Ind lost/drew
  • Azhar (hit 3 100s in 3 tests in a row which Ind did not win), Patil, Srikant (opener), Kapil, More, Gaekwad (opener), etc., did not score a 50 as well in those 3 tests as so by that token their runs in that period are impactless
  • Expanding the weirdness of your logic further -> Tendulkar's runs in losses/draws would be meaningless including his 130 odd v Pak, Kapil's 120 odd in SA, Kapil 100 odd to save the follow on v Eng (4 6s hit), Azhar's 3 100s in a row as discussed, and so on (not many would buy that these innings were impactless esp. when tests is a game of multiple sessions played over 5 days) 

There are not too many reasons to criticize Gavaskar in tests. Even in ODIs, he was decent to good in the 80s playing mostly red ball cricket w/ no power plays. Led Ind to a win in Aus in '85 World Series too (white ball cricket w/ power plays iirc but dropped himself down the order). Also probably retired at the right time. And let's not forget that the thread is not about Tests (nor anyone is praising Gavaskar in ODIs here) 

Edited by zen
6 hours ago, Serpico said:

Funny how when it comes to any other player, only performances in ICC TOURNAMENT FINALS count rest of their 99.99% career can be thrown out of window, but for Pandu some random fluke against mighty bangladesh can be hailed as a crowing moment of achievement

Same dude made so many random threads with his random stats last year before worldcup saying Rohit will fail badly in the worldcup cause of his poor record against 'Strong' teams back then. The two centuries Rohit scored against Bangladesh in (WC 2015 quarter final & CT semi finals) were actually completely meaningless cause they came against 'weaker' team. Now that SDP has 3 wickets against them he has decided that it's time to qualify Bangladesh into strong category team for his stats filter.

Edited by Nikola
1 hour ago, zen said:

Hero Cup Final was Ind v WI where Kumble took 6/12

my bad ....semi final! but sometimes there are some moments that are greater than the actual tournament.  I mean who would care for  some obscure tournament like Hero Cup if not for such amazing moments. Also remember Jonty Rhodes taking 5 catches in a match in this tournament .

Edited by maniac