Wonder Woman 1984

zen

Below selected bad reviews on imdb  :phehe: .... of course, there are good reviews as well so your mileage may vary 

I've been eagerly waiting for this. I made a great lunch of Christmas Eve leftovers and sat down - ready for a great movie.

This movie is utterly ridiculous. From the moment it starts it comes off almost as a parody. The open scene is very childish. Way too on the nose with its moralistic foreshadowing. The following failed heist is equally juvenile - taking place in a mall and is just plain silly. It's far from the grittier atmosphere that DC has been so good at recently.

The interpretation of 80's culture is completely distracting and strips away any gravitas. Pedro Pascal comes off as laughable and inane. Wiig fairs no better and cannot pull off the baddie.

It was hard to watch. I had hopes for DC but this one is a complete dud.

Well.....I just wasted 2.5 hours of my life...I was so hyped up to watch the new Wonder Woman 1984 Movie...Paid 15 bucks for HBO MAX for a month just to watch this movie okay...WHAT A HUGE LET DOWN! They have ruined the Wonder Woman Movie Series....in one swoop! I really can't find the right words to describe what I just watched...Sitting here in shock.... OMFG! They should've stayed with the Amazonian theme from the opening scenes for the entire movie...it would've been brilliant...BUT...as soon as they left that Opening scene...the movie was done for...just done...

I'm telling you I'm so disappointed... Gal Gadot is a Goddes, don't get me wrong. But the laziness of the script writers and special effects teams are just shocking. It seems like the "wins" of DC are just occasions...they still don't know what they're doing. In general:
super basic plot with mega ultra tropes;
effects are seriously...so disappointing like you're watching Adam West's Batman and it's not even cute..;
characters (main villains) are sooo tropey...you only roll eyes on everything they say and motivation...;
no background whatsoever...I thought maybe I should have known something from comics, but no...;
music of genius Hans Zimmer was so loud, I couldn't hear dialogues.
Honestly...I'm so sad writing this. Good things I personally liked:
Gal Gadot - goddess;
her chemistry with Chris is great;
Pascal does a great job. It's not his fault that the character is poorly written and has weird actions ( especially in the end...);
the overall message.

The 1st WW film was absolutely brilliant and had more ticks than a farmer's dog in my book. WW84 is, which truly saddens and maddens me, the polar opposite. It has a script so weak it should be classed as highly vulnerable, a plot that has more holes than my kitchen colander, and characters about as believable as a career politician. I did love the opening island scene where the girl actress playing the young Diana was superb, and apparently did all her non-cgi stunts. But then it went downhill faster than an illiterate skier passing a 'Warning - cliff ahead' sign. I won't go into detail over WW84s failings as I have a bus to catch...in a week, but I think I can reveal my favourite, jaw-dropping line from the film without it being a spoiler...

'... I want to be an apex predator!'

It certainly made me growl.

I was honestly shocked by how bad this was.

The story is absolutely ridiculous. The CGI is the worst CGI I've seen in YEARS. The Cheetah vs. Wonder Woman fight was short and pathetic. The lack of action overall was embarrassing. The cheesy scenes totally took me out of the experience completely. There are a few scenes that are totally inappropriate that'll probably go unnoticed by most...(Example: The 4 kids playing soccer in the street and being shot at by a missile - this ACTUALLY happened and Gal supported the attack. 4 innocent children died and this movie had a "white savior moment" to try and please people? Truly disgusting!)

I am really disappointed with this movie.

This has to be one of the worst movies of 2020. I waited patiently for this film to release and I was dismayed by what I saw. The action is dull, the acting is wooden and dialogue sounds like it was written by a a first time writer. If you love cliches this is your movie. It's filled with them and you just have to roll your eyes. Superman v. Batman is a far more superior than this film. Director Patty Jenkins really dropped the ball. The first film was so much better. What blows my mind is that the movie was directed by the same person who directed the first one. I think it was the right decision to split the release between digital and theatrical because it was not going to make its profit back just by doing a theatrical release, let alone on demand. I don't recommend this movie. I'd advise you wait until it's free on tv in about a year. It's that bad. It pains me to be so critical of Wonder Woman because I'm a huge fan. However, I'm not a fan of a director who can't even make a decent sequel. This is the same director who is going to direct Star Wars Rouge Squadron in 2023. If you love Gal Gadot check this movie out, other then that this is a hard pass.

26 minutes ago, Sooda said:

That is a daming indictment. Haha.

I liked the first WW, did not see the hype though. It was ok, not as good as critics and such made it out to be.

Now with lowered expectations, many may actually like it! :phehe:

I only watch superhero films (much like I used to do with Bollywood in the past) for timepass. They are the Bollywood version of masala films .... There are certain superhero films esp. w/ dark elements that I like such as the Nolan Batman trilogy. I liked the first WW as well because it had a nice story w/ WW1, which is not too common relative to WW2, as the backdrop 

IMDB ratings fall below 6 (at this point) .... More bad reviews:

I believed in the heart the Wonder Woman brand created like countless of others. The first wonderfully set up the super heroine for greatness and they filmed and wrote it wonderfully. I'm not saying it was amazing, but it was surprisingly better compared to the other films in DCs library. But the WW84 was a sad waste of my time as they shot the film from the three point line straight into the garbage. Nothing but net for DC. The film was so slow, lazy, and disrespectful to the DC fans who saw the first as a success in a sea of disappointment. The villain, played by Pascal, could've been a great foe but with questionable actions and character choices by the writing team left so much more to be desired. The chemistry between Gadot and Pine was refreshing if one of the limited silver linings in the 2 hour movie. While it had heart-even a super basic salt and pepper heart-it was still two sizes too small this holiday season.

Everything that makes a movie terrible. Slept 10 hours before watching this and this film put me right back to sleep. Also, a lot of pot holes

I watched it first day, before reading any reviews, so I went in with a fresh mind. But sadly, came out with a frustrated mind. This is campy, in the worst possible way.

Finally, they've created the movie that knocks Halle Berry's Catwoman off the top spot of Worst Superhero Movie Ever!

Over 2.5 hours of absolute trash. From script, to CGI, to plot line, I'm embarrassed for everyone involved with creating this.

The positive reviews have got to be joking.

Some good reviews:

Lots of people had certain expectations, but it's always best to just go in without any. It's a ok movie, but I certainly enjoyed it a lot. Only slight negative I had was Gadot's acting, which is meh. The rest was fine. If you get upset because they flew to Egypt in a fighter jet, or that she used her lasso on lightning or any other thing that's scientifically not possible, what the hell did you expect? You're watching a freaking superhero comic movie. This one was just a little light on the action and more heavy on the drama. Still good.

First of all, I'm not a DCU or Wonder Woman fan. I didn't like that much the first movie either but I wanted to give this one a shot and see what they've done with the movie. The first half showed that this movie was going to be really different than a lot of other superhero movies. It had drama in it more than I really expected and it was really slow paced that I kinda liked! From first seconds to lasts, it took me to an adventure that didn't let me feel the runtime. I had so much fun watching this movie and there was a scene that nearly got me crying. I didn't expect that at all! And got me so hyped that sometimes I really wanted to scream and jump. I don't know. Maybe it was that this year has been a really bad and blank year for cinema and the lack of it made me really enjoy this film. I watched it online and want to watch one more time on big screen after hopefully cinemas open in my local area. Maybe I couldn't read the movie that well from home. I want to see and understand why people really hated this film.

Edited by zen

I saw it yesterday, it's a 4-5/10. It's not even really a superhero movie. Gal Gadot/WW doesn't have as much screen-time as one would hope. She doesn't feel like the main character of the story. The actress who plays Cheetah is so poor. Maxwell Lord isn't compelling either. 

The final fight scene and the climax of the film are also so underwhelming.

The original WW from a few years ago was much better.