Legendary Indian hockey player Michael Kindo dies at 73

Gollum

RIP the 'Wall' of Indian Hockey

Another sports icon passes away, on the last day of this wretched year. 

Star from 1975 WC win. First in a long list of badass adivasis who owned our full back position.

Pocket dynamite who would smilingly take a lot of physical punishment for the team, keep going hard, kinda like Wagner. A defensive wall of Kindo, Aslam Sher Khan and Surjit Singh Randhawa, impregnable. 

Amazing tackler, amazing interception, one player like him in this Indian side and we will be #1. Kindo is a lock in our AT team, probably 4th or 5th pick in a line of stalwarts. 

This thread
Edited by Gollum

Rest In Peace. many don't even know the hockey legends of the past with our overrated cricket claiming all glory which only produces superstars for mass worship but rarely any teamwork required to win world cups. My dad and uncles rarely watched cricket and they hated gavaskar types to no end. They would rather watch hockey and football.

2 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Never heard of him but good to read about him.

Your dad may have.

Kindo was the 1st adivasi sportsman who made it to front page news, huge following in his playing days when hockey was big. Was one of my father's heroes, MVP in that Ajit Pal Singh side which won the '75 WC. Played in the the most challenging position with max possibility of injuries and pain, adivasis are some of the toughest and most mentally strong people around. 

12 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Your dad may have.

Kindo was the 1st adivasi sportsman who made it to front page news, huge following in his playing days when hockey was big. Was one of my father's heroes, MVP in that Ajit Pal Singh side which won the '75 WC. Played in the the most challenging position with max possibility of injuries and pain, adivasis are some of the toughest and most mentally strong people around. 

I hope his immidiate family is being taken care of by the government or hockey federation.

No sport is bigger than other and I hope our legends or any former players across different sports are taken care of by their respective associations in terms of pension etc. 

10 hours ago, Gollum said:

Your dad may have.

Even my recollection of him is only from reading about him as a child.  I got into hockey in the '80s; the greatest defenders I saw were Pargat Singh and Mohinder Pal Singh.  Pargat also had divine stick skills and could attack and score like a forward.