One overlooked impact of Tendulkar on Indian cricket

maniac

See all things happened at same time. Economic liberalisation leading to more money in cricket ( 1996 World cup), corporates investment in Indian cricket,a fresh faced clean Sachin became the flagbearer( he had 15 ads on him at one point of time).Also at the same time India was floundering in all other sports ( hockey was on wane, football was not at all big. Only Anand was the only true blue global champion in those days in chess). All these created a vaccum and penetration of color television, cable tv where everyone could gulp down benson and hedges series of 1992 and the world cup... ( children became obsessed with sunscream and zinc peroxide on lips and nose i remember.. seeing mcdermot.  i even used heavy boroline on my lips one day before reaching school to show off). So all these were the perfect scenario for popularity of cricket going up and then bang came dravid, ganguly, sehwags of the world and India started to compete abroad as well.. everything culminated in elevating cricket from just a passion to more bigger things.. ipl broke all barriers.. and now indian parents ( a middle class population of freaking 50 crore) have started using disposable income on sports, cricket coaching of their children which was difficult in 80s and early 90s..( hell I would be over the moon when my dad bought be two tennis balls!) .. so I think everything combined to make cricket what it is now in India. .. from Gavaskar to Kapil to Dalmiya all played their part..

Edited by neel roy
Just now, zen said:

@Laaloo appears as if I stepped on your sorry tail and that too on a joke of a thread 

there was no satire in what I said.

unless  you grew up  in India in the late 80’s- late 90’s or come from a middle class urban setting you won’t get the context of what I said. Also I didn’t demean any other cricketer, just showed what makes Sachin that much more special than numbers and stats that almost half a billion people (conservative estimate) consider him a god like figure (not literally god)

Just now, maniac said:

there was no satire in what I said.

unless  you grew up  in India in the late 80’s- late 90’s or come from a middle class urban setting you won’t get the context of what I said. Also I didn’t demean any other cricketer, just showed what makes Sachin that much more special than numbers and stats that almost half a billion people (conservative estimate) consider him a god like figure (not literally god)

what has stats got to do with it? :hmmmm2: ....  Sakib can inspire millions in BD .... a Jayasuriya or a Murali can do that it SL 

My stand is that any top cricketer including Sachin would inspire. People before him have done that, people after him will do that .... the game goes on, evolves, Sachin or no Sachin ... Even if Ind never had Sachin or xyz, the game goes on 

8 minutes ago, zen said:

what has stats got to do with it? :hmmmm2: ....  Sakib can inspire millions in BD .... a Jayasuriya or a Murali can do that it SL 

exactly and go call Shakib a mediocre cricketer and show stats that how Jayant Yadav and Ashton Agar are better than him to a Bangladeshi and see what happens.

Shakib is definitely to Bangladesh what Sachin is to India. 

Murali has probably kept an entire ethnic group somewhat relevant in Srilanka.

Sometimes cricket is not just the stats and numbers, some guys have that little extra that makes a large impact on entire countries and societies.

Edited by maniac
1 minute ago, maniac said:

exactly and go call Shakib a mediocre cricketer and show stats that how Jayant Yadav and Ashton Agar are better than him to a Bangladeshi and see what happens.

Shakib is definitely to Bangladesh what Sachin is to India. 

Murali has probably kept an entire ethnic group somewhat relevant in Srilanka.

Sometimes cricket is not just the stats and numbers, some guys have that little extra that makes a large impact on entire countries and societies.

why would anyone say that Sakib is a mediocre cricketer? why would people in BD believe that he is a bigger performer than Kallis, Sobers, etc. or e.g.? No one carers what Sakib does in BD, a Murali in SL (I rate Warne higher in tests) 

Similarly, why would anyone in India, which has a string of great cricketers from Vinoo Mankad to Kohli be inclined to think that Sachin has done more than these guys? It is only a Sachin Fanboy perspective. 

@Laaloo I do not think you add any value to any discussion  (a rabid poster) ... so last opportunity here to showcase you can engage by stringing a proper sentence (your English appears to be poor too) .... if not, I will take it that like your favorite cricketer you have a tendency to back out and attack from behind (expected behavior) and put you in the garbage of my ignore list (your rightful place) 

Edited by zen