Steroids in cricket

Ranvir

Who do you think has used steroids during their career?

The physiques of Symonds, Shane Watson and Chris Gayle look very suspicious to me. Both Symonds and Watson weighed well over 90kg with abs showing and are only just over 6ft. That is what a small heavyweight boxer weighs.

There have always been rumours of Shoaib Akhtar as well.

5 minutes ago, Ranvir said:

Abs on their own dont mean steroids. Abs with huge muscle mass are suspicious.

Its very difficult to put on and maintain a large amount of muscle mass without gaining fat.

That's the difference.

Nah, Watson, Gayle and Symonds are genetically gifted. Desis have a difficult time putting on lean muscle. Also all three are in  12-15% body fat, they have visible abs but they aren't completely ripped, also their muscles aren't too huge. That kind of physique is easily attainable naturally for those 3. Akhtar is a desi and he was busted for performance enhancing drugs, so it won't surprise me if he took some but even he wasn't crazy big.

Akhtar took heavy amounts of protein, steroids and creatine. This was confirmed back in 2006, when his career was nearly over after him and Asif were caught for doping.

Fast bowlers like Allan Donald and Michael Holding had the ideal genetics to generate pace without doing any intense workouts. Akhtar has desi genes which are not ideal for becoming an athlete, so he did insane amount of weight training and generated pace with his arm strength instead of using his whole body.

4 hours ago, MechEng said:

Akhtar took heavy amounts of protein, steroids and creatine. This was confirmed back in 2006, when his career was nearly over after him and Asif were caught for doping.

Fast bowlers like Allan Donald and Michael Holding had the ideal genetics to generate pace without doing any intense workouts. Akhtar has desi genes which are not ideal for becoming an athlete, so he did insane amount of weight training and generated pace with his arm strength instead of using his whole body.

Stop going on about inferior desi genes. It smacks of insecurity and inferiority.

South Asians don't even take sports seriously, so no one knows their potential.

There is something definitely off about Symonds and Watson. They are very heavily muscled, they are built like some rugby players and everyone knows that Rugby players are on roids.

5 minutes ago, Ranvir said:

Stop going on about inferior desi genes. It smacks of insecurity and inferiority.

South Asians don't even take sports seriously, so no one knows their potential.

There is something definitely off about Symonds and Watson. They are very heavily muscled, they are built like some rugby players and everyone knows that Rugby players are on roids.

It isn't inferiority complex. I had a roommate from London who was studying political science, he never worked out and lived on walmart bought fish fillets, meatballs, fries and half fried eggs, yet he had virtually no  body fat. Some races have the genetic advantage of having more lean muscles, and that is a scientific fact.

If I lived on my roommate's diet, I would have got bulging mid section and cheeks already.

2 hours ago, MultiB48 said:

How do know they weren't doping back in the 70,80 etc.They had no restrictions back then,no wonder there were so many quicks and they managed to play, even though surgery and physiotherapy wasn't as good as now.

They were natural athletes and not overly muscular.

Shoaib Akhtar looks like a US marines soldier and not an athlete, because he consumed so much steroids with weight lifting.

44 minutes ago, MechEng said:

It isn't inferiority complex. I had a roommate from London who was studying political science, he never worked out and lived on walmart bought fish fillets, meatballs, fries and half fried eggs, yet he had virtually no  body fat. Some races have the genetic advantage of having more lean muscles, and that is a scientific fact.

If I lived on my roommate's diet, I would have got bulging mid section and cheeks already.

Maybe your friend was an exception.

Do you know that Britain is the most obese nation in Europe and one of the top ones in the whole world?

Have you seen the physiques of Flintoff in his early days, Gatting, Botham, Warne, Boon, Merv Hughes? Hardly Greek gods.

Clearest indication of steroid use is HGH bloat, bubble gut or insulin gut. See eg. https://www.t-nation.com/pharma/fail-pro-bodybuilding-and-big-guts

Haven't you noticed any of your diabetic friend, relatives with this bubble gut due to Insulin? Steroid user suffers from same.

LOL at people doubting anyone with abs. It's opposite, if someone is all jacked up in arms etc but no abs, then that's steroid.

Look at Kohli transformation, all due to diet. He was already super active but once he gave up on Chhole Bhature, Paranthas etc he literally transformed. Look at the short lived transformations of UV and Zaheer in 2015 under supervision of renowned trainer Tim Exeter in France.

Any of us with sedentary modern lifestyle can just watch our diet and do moderate physical activity to get in shape with ease and be super proud. But we are so eager to pounce on sportspersons who take field for hours every day under sun exerting physical effort.

As far as Shoaib Akhtar is concerned, he has endomorph body type, they gain muscles very easily but without any cardio they lose their shape and look fat in no time. 

@MechEng What is a desi gene? Kashmiri's, Punjabi's, Pathans have nothing in common, I am sure genetic makeup of rest of India & Pakistan is also very diverse. Only thing slightly common is food (wheat, rice) and it clearly shows in physiques.

None of these guys you mentioned are super jacked up, Symonds was a beast, one of the best fielders ever. Akhtar used to train with a rope and tire tied to his waist, make Rohit Sharma do that along with no Pavv Bhaaji and his chubby cheeks will melt in no time. 

3 minutes ago, Vancouver said:

Clearest indication of steroid use is HGH bloat, bubble gut or insulin gut. See eg. https://www.t-nation.com/pharma/fail-pro-bodybuilding-and-big-guts

Haven't you noticed any of your diabetic friend, relatives with this bubble gut due to Insulin? Steroid user suffers from same.

LOL at people doubting anyone with abs. It's opposite, if someone is all jacked up in arms etc but no abs, then that's steroid.

Look at Kohli transformation, all due to diet. He was already super active but once he gave up on Chhole Bhature, Paranthas etc he literally transformed. Look at the short lived transformations of UV and Zaheer in 2015 under supervision of renowned trainer Tim Exeter in France.

Any of us with sedentary modern lifestyle can just watch our diet and do moderate physical activity to get in shape with ease and be super proud. But we are so eager to pounce on sportspersons who take field for hours every day under sun exerting physical effort.

As far as Shoaib Akhtar is concerned, he has endomorph body type, they gain muscles very easily but without any cardio they lose their shape and look fat in no time. 

@MechEng What is a desi gene? Kashmiri's, Punjabi's, Pathans have nothing in common, I am sure genetic makeup of rest of India & Pakistan is also very diverse. Only thing slightly common is food (wheat, rice) and it clearly shows in physiques.

None of these guys you mentioned are super jacked up, Symonds was a beast, one of the best fielders ever. Akhtar used to train with a rope and tire tied to his waist, make Rohit Sharma do that along with no Pavv Bhaaji and his chubby cheeks will melt in no time. 

All people south of the hindu kush are an admixture of ANI an ASI genes. Most of us are genetically the same family of genes than rest of humanity.

2 hours ago, Vancouver said:

Bubble gut is not a result of steroids, it is due to HGH hormones, two completely different things. The classic bodybuilders from the 70s like Shwarzenegger and Zane were roided to the max and had no bubble gut.

93kg at 6ft is huge. 96kg at 6ft 1 is huge. There are rugby wingers that size.

9 hours ago, Vancouver said:

I never said Shoaib Akhtar was jacked. He had to build muscles because he wasn't naturally athletic like Allan Donald. 

Besides, I have had enough practical experience of interacting with people of different races and closely observed their lifestyles, South Asians do have lowest lean muscle mass and they need to work harder than white and black people to gain more muscle.

Edited by MechEng

On 1/18/2021 at 10:48 PM, MechEng said:

india is diverse. there are plenty of strong indians. plenty of weak ones. Lean muscle doesnt mean squat if you dont have the strength to back it up. 

On 1/19/2021 at 4:34 PM, MechEng said:

I never said Shoaib Akhtar was jacked. He had to build muscles because he wasn't naturally athletic like Allan Donald. 

Besides, I have had enough practical experience of interacting with people of different races and closely observed their lifestyles, South Asians do have lowest lean muscle mass and they need to work harder than white and black people to gain more muscle.

you havent observed enough then. I have seen plenty of naturally strong indians here without picking up a single weight. its all about how you were raised as a child. Your lifestyle makes a difference. People growing up working hard labour intensive work in india are ridiculously strong. Its more to do with their diets. they dont eat lean meats. Thats the major difference. Diet plays a major role in gaining muscle mass. There are plenty of muscle bound indians naturally and vice versa.