India have announced the squad for the first two Tests against England

puneet28

2 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

1st thing their arent enough option when it comes to test spinner for overseas , 2nd its good they arent giving up on him....he anyways need to be with bowling coach as he is working on being quick through the Air . 

Denying what cricket was anyways happening ?

It's not about this tour  He has been with the team since Jan 2019 when he played his last test. No proper FC cricket since then for him. How do you expect players to improve? 

13 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

It's not about this tour  He has been with the team since Jan 2019 when he played his last test. No proper FC cricket since then for him. How do you expect players to improve? 

yea thats TM fault shudnt have carried him so much but then again this TM has known to commit such blunder in abundance nothing shocking

23 hours ago, express bowling said:

My preferred playing 11

1. Gill

2. Rohit

3. Pujara

4. Kohli

5. Pant

6. Rahane

7. Sundar

8. Ashwin

9. Kuldeep

10. Bumrah

11. Siraj 

This. We need 3 spinners in spin friendly Chennai. Kuldeep will extract more turn and pick more wickets than Axar. We have enough batting depth as well so no need for Axar rather play another attacking spinner.

5 hours ago, express bowling said:

Sundar is a batting allrounder. coming at 7. Don't think a bowling all-rounder like Axar can replace him.

With Ashwin, Axar, Kuldeep at 7,8,9 - I would not worry about batting depth especially in home conditions - assuming that Pant plays at 6. Not having a spinner taking it away from the batsmen is a concern. And undoubtedly Ashwin and Kuldeep are the two best spinners in this squad. But beyond these two, having that variety in spinning in/out will be important. Jadeja provides a balance that is very hard to replace!

Just now, Samcric said:

With Ashwin, Axar, Kuldeep at 7,8,9 - I would not worry about batting depth especially in home conditions - assuming that Pant plays at 6. Not having a spinner taking it away from the batsmen is a concern. And undoubtedly Ashwin and Kuldeep are the two best spinners in this squad. But beyond these two, having that variety in spinning in/out will be important. Jadeja provides a balance that is very hard to replace!

Ashwin's batting has gone down in the last few years, notwithstanding his Sydney blockathon heroics.  He is not a No.7 anymore. 

Axar's batting is an unknown in test matches. 

Kuldeep bowls a lot of googlies and that can take care of the away going variant. Axar is anyway a darter and hardly spins the ball. Kuldeep's googlies turn much more.

3 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Ashwin's batting has gone down in the last few years, notwithstanding his Sydney blockathon heroics.  He is not a No.7 anymore. 

Axar's batting is an unknown in test matches. 

Kuldeep bowls a lot of googlies and that can take care of the away going variant. Axar is anyway a darter and hardly spins the ball. Kuldeep's googlies turn much more.

Its really a Sundar vs Axar debate. My point is Axar's extra potential in bowling will be more useful than Sundar's extra potential in batting.

I disagree that Axar will be ineffective - he can play a similar role as Jadeja - to bowl 90-95ks on day 4&5 and natural variation in the pitch will help in some balls holding the line and some skidding through. Remember, teams find Jadeja harder to play in the second innings. I may be wrong in my estimation of Sundar's bowling especially since he would have played a bit in Chennai. I would have backed him if he bowled left-arm. I just find it hard to buy the argument that Kuldeep's googlies will cover for the absence of Jadeja. We need to find something similar to what Jadeja used to offer.

On another note, Bess and Leach bowled beautifully in Sri Lanka's second innings. I still have bad memories from 2012☹️. I hope whoever plays, does well for India.

2 hours ago, Samcric said:

Its really a Sundar vs Axar debate. My point is Axar's extra potential in bowling will be more useful than Sundar's extra potential in batting.

I disagree that Axar will be ineffective - he can play a similar role as Jadeja - to bowl 90-95ks on day 4&5 and natural variation in the pitch will help in some balls holding the line and some skidding through. Remember, teams find Jadeja harder to play in the second innings. I may be wrong in my estimation of Sundar's bowling especially since he would have played a bit in Chennai. I would have backed him if he bowled left-arm. I just find it hard to buy the argument that Kuldeep's googlies will cover for the absence of Jadeja. We need to find something similar to what Jadeja used to offer.

On another note, Bess and Leach bowled beautifully in Sri Lanka's second innings. I still have bad memories from 2012☹️. I hope whoever plays, does well for India.

I am not saying that Axar will be less effective with the ball than Sundar.

My point is that ... we are essentially choosing a 7th batsman cum 3rd spinner / 5th bowler

And Sundar will be a better 7th batsman while being adequate as a spinner.

Ashwin nowadays is more a No.8 batsman and is used there only.