Farmers' protests - where were Rihanna, Greta Thunberg and others when these farmers were protesting?

BacktoCricaddict

https://allianceforscience.cornell.edu/blog/2019/06/indian-farmers-plant-gmo-seeds-civil-disobedience-satyagraha-protest/

They were protesting for greater access to modern genetic technologies, the freedom to choose seeds that would benefit them the most and grow more food/fibre on less land with fewer resources.  But there were not celebrities pushing for their rights.

Some 1,500 farmers gathered in India today to illegally plant government-banned genetically modified (GM) seeds, which they say could improve their livelihoods and help reduce pesticide use.

The farmers massed in a field in Akot, a village in Maharashtra, where they symbolically planted pest-resistant Bt brinjal (eggplant) and herbicide-tolerant cotton seeds in defiance of government regulations, according to Shetkari Sanghatana, a farmers’ organization that staged the grassroots protest.

On 2/10/2021 at 7:39 PM, Real McCoy said:

If you think GM seeds are so good, why are people against monsatno in the US. They used to be a pesticide producing company which changed to GM seeds technology. What's next GM humans. Gimme a break. Rihanna, Greta and others are also part of the same gang as monsato. They are all elites or their stooges

I've always found food in the United States tasting artificial. 

8 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

That is not GM, that is because of soil quality

First part of your sentence is correct.  What is the basis for the second part?  

The claim of "tastes artificial" has many components:

(1) Have we tasted everything that is American food?  Maybe just the stuff that we have tasted tastes "artificial."  

(2) What is "artificial?"  My American-raised friends find the flavor of hing "metallic" and "artificial," whereas I find it natural.  It is such a subjective term.  

The real problem is this:  most of what we know to be American food is highly processed stuff.  Refined flour.  Excess sugar.  Low fibre.  Cheap.  Abundant.  Tasteless.  Calorie-dense.  Never satisfying.  Makes you want to eat more.  Plus, added flavourings - both natural and artificial - but over the top.  And to be fair, I have tasted crap like that in India too.  Tutti-frutti milkshake.  "Apple" cake.  Street-side chaat is hit or miss.    

If one really wants flavorful American food, there is a lot out there, especially if one eats meat.  Southwestern cuisine is amazing - even for vegetarians.   As is Native American cuisine.  And BBQ in the South is very flavorful - I am vegetarian, but I have tasted brisket - it is superb.  Chili.  Some desserts like apple pie are great.  

If you are talking about fruits/veggies being bland, it is because of being harvested before maturity to avoid spoilage during transportation.  When a fruit matures on the plant, it accumulates flavour chemicals, especially sugars.  When plucked before maturity and shipped, that does not happen, leaving them tasting bland.  Which is why you could buy local, but being in NJ, what will grow locally in 20 feet of snow?  FL, CA and MX are your only hope :-)!!

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

17 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

First part of your sentence is correct.  What is the basis for the second part?  

The claim of "tastes artificial" has many components:

(1) Have we tasted everything that is American food?  Maybe just the stuff that we have tasted tastes "artificial."  

(2) What is "artificial?"  My American-raised friends find the flavor of hing "metallic" and "artificial," whereas I find it natural.  It is such a subjective term.  

The real problem is this:  most of what we know to be American food is highly processed stuff.  Refined flour.  Excess sugar.  Low fibre.  Cheap.  Abundant.  Tasteless.  Calorie-dense.  Never satisfying.  Makes you want to eat more.  Plus, added flavourings - both natural and artificial - but over the top.  And to be fair, I have tasted crap like that in India too.  Tutti-frutti milkshake.  "Apple" cake.  Street-side chaat is hit or miss.    

If one really wants flavorful American food, there is a lot out there, especially if one eats meat.  Southwestern cuisine is amazing - even for vegetarians.   As is Native American cuisine.  And BBQ in the South is very flavorful - I am vegetarian, but I have tasted brisket - it is superb.  Chili.  Some desserts like apple pie are great.  

If you are talking about fruits/veggies being bland, it is because of being harvested before maturity to avoid spoilage during transportation.  When a fruit matures on the plant, it accumulates flavour chemicals, especially sugars.  When plucked before maturity and shipped, that does not happen, leaving them tasting bland.  Which is why you could buy local, but being in NJ, what will grow locally in 20 feet of snow?  FL, CA and MX are your only hope :-)!!

Not processed food, for somebody who has grown up having tasted veggies and fruits in India, the flavors and taste is more potent there. Bananas are more sweeter, no comparison with Mangoes. I feel like crying when I buy 10$ tokri of Mexican mangoes here. I had read that the same plants grown in different soil content, makes this quality difference. Tomatoes, Green pepper too taste blander here. Some Organic veggies/fruits do match, esp Bananas.  You say, there is difference in the way they are harvesting and ripening that causes the difference? Hugely unpopular

Edited by coffee_rules

8 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Not processed food, for somebody who has tasted veggies and fruits, the flavors and taste is more potent. Bananas are more sweeter, no comparison with Mangoes. I feel like crying when I buy 10$ tokri of Mexican mangoes. I had read that the same plants grown different soil, makes this quality difference. Tomatoes, Green pepper too taste blander here. Some Organic veggies/fruits do match, esp Bananas.  You say, there is difference in harvesting and ripening that causes the difference? Hugely unpopular

There is no evidence that soil quality is inferior.  It see no difference between organic bananas and conventional ones.  Some batches of conventional bananas are excellent and some batches of organic bananas are bland.  

Again, with veggies, it is when things are picked and food miles that are the issue.  As for Mexican mangoes - 2 things.  One is variety.  Other is transport.  Even in India, some varieties of mango were much sweeter and flavorful than others.  

What is hugely unpopular?  

Edit:

Fruit flavor and sweetness:  https://extension.psu.edu/fruit-quality-how-do-fruit-get-their-flavor

BTW have you tasted American Honey Crisp apples?  Absolute best.  With all due respect to Himachal Pradesh, HC apples are the absolute best.  Now, people who have only tasted Macintosh or Red delicious in America will be like "Amreekee apples are so bland."  

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

5 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

There is no evidence that soil quality is inferior.  It see no difference between organic bananas and conventional ones.  Some batches of conventional bananas are excellent and some batches of organic bananas are bland.  

What is hugely unpopular?  

The bland veggies in USA compared to India

Just now, coffee_rules said:

Unpopular with whom?  I am still confused Anna.

BTW, I added something in edit above:  

Fruit flavor and sweetness:  https://extension.psu.edu/fruit-quality-how-do-fruit-get-their-flavor

BTW have you tasted American Honey Crisp apples?  Absolute best.  With all due respect to Himachal Pradesh, HC apples are the absolute best.  Now, people who have only tasted Macintosh or Red delicious in America will be like "Amreekee apples are so bland."  

7 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Unpopular with whom?  I am still confused Anna.

BTW, I added something in edit above:  

Unpopular among us (Indians, my family, people around us). I have never had a thing for apples, even in India, so don't know.

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Unpopular among us (Indians, my family, people around us). I have never had a thing for apples, even in India, so don't know.

Apples are not a native fruit to India. Its from Europe. Now to make it look shiny, they apply vax on it :shock: in Indian markets. That is a danger if consumed over time. I have seen in US, supermarkets apply vegetable oil on tomatoes to make it shiny and appear fresh. But if you wash it with water, it looks stale.

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

fruits  generally mostly  I have found them of higher quality here in the US though- apples,

pears, strawberries etc.

Oranges, grapes  etc it can just be the breed/ type difference so I like the Indian ones better.

However may be it’s the type of milk or whatever they add I love the Indian ice cream more than the Ice cream in the US. Relatively speaking though or it could just be that you get a gallon of ice cream for a few cents so maybe you are sick of it by the time you are done. 

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

remove the extra salt and sugar in their foods, they will taste very bland unlike many desi foods. doguhnuts are sprinkled with sugar and french fries with a generous dose of salt.

I actually meant vegetables and fruits. Fruits are abnormally big and they have an artificial taste, same for vegetables.

Edited by MechEng

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/economy/agri-business/highest-htbt-cotton-sowing-in-coming-kharif-shetkari-sanghatana/article34251566.ece

“The movement for HTBt cotton that started in 2019 has gained momentum and now farmers are cultivating more of HTBt cotton. This kharif, 50 per cent cotton grown in the State will be growing HTBt. Now, we don’t have to launch a programme or movement to encourage farmers to grow HTBt. Farmers themselves are now inclined towards HTBt,” Anil Ghanwat, president of SS, told BusinessLine.

SS, which has been supporting farmers in cultivating HTBt cotton and helping them confront government officials, favours farmers in the country getting access to the latest technological development in agriculture.

In India, the government has approved only cultivation of genetically-modified (GM) non-food crop, which is cotton. Since 2006, no new GM variety, including cotton, has been approved by the Genetic Engineering Appraisal Committee (GEAC), the nodal agency to clear GM crops in the country.