Will the fire finally ignite in Virat Kohli after losing No.1 ODI ranking?

I am optimistic for the sake of Indian cricket though.  I think spin has turned out to be his biggest weakness..  Unless he improves drastically I have not much hope that he will be anywhere near to 2016 level. 

That being said there is no reason why he can't play match defining knocks in WTC Eng & SA tour..  That will strengthen his legacy to another level..  And perhaps the end won't be that bad at all. 

21 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

So he was no.1 ODI batsman for 41 months but here comes a young guy from neighboring country that is not renowned of producing great batsmen has dethroned him.

During his younger days, Virat had that fire in his belly. He used to hate getting out, wanted to be the best batsman in the world and constantly wanted to raise the bar higher. But in last couple of years he had mellowed down a lot - talking about process & how cricket is a team game, personal milestones don't matter as long as team wins etc. The fire and passion that made Kohli what he is today has been missing since 2019.

Now that he is no longer no.1 batsman in any format, will the reality hit him and he will be motivated to work hard on his batting?

Or he will continue with his 'already achieved all' attitude and talk about bakwaas process, team game etc.?

No. He is married.

I don't care about JAMODI/T20I rankings. Test rankings different matter.

Kohli doesn't need to ever take back #1 spot in ODIs, if he can do in 2023 WC KOs what Smith did in the 2015 edition that will be much bigger for his legacy and our team's chances. Kohli was #1 during 2017 CT, 2019 WC, did it matter? 

i feel really bad for him tbh. He is trying. no doubt. he is just not the same post anuskha. father time is affecting his performance imo. too much stress. the white patch is indicative of this stress factor. 

He is certainly not the one to give up easily but a few years ago the kohli i know would have dispatched all bowlers with relative easy. Now he is extremely poor vs leg spin and left arm pace. 

For his sake he should give up captaincy. get the fire back and focus on becoming the best batsman again. 

On 4/18/2021 at 11:53 AM, Sandeep99 said:

Anyway rankings are the last straw for losers to clutch on to. Smith is a better one day batsman than kohli even though he never was no.1. Performances on the biggest stage matter more than rankings anyway. 

And Grant Eliott is a better odi batsman than Sachin Tendulkar. 

The above statement which you have declared as a Fact is nothing more than your opinion and a pretty stupid one TBF. 

32 minutes ago, Adamant said:

And Grant Eliott is a better odi batsman than Sachin Tendulkar. 

The above statement which you have declared as a Fact is nothing more than your opinion and a pretty stupid one TBF. 

Smith and Kohli are comparable batsmen. Elliot and Sachin are not. 

On 4/22/2021 at 11:10 PM, AuxiliA said:

They aren't comparable in ODIs and T20s. Kohli is far ahead. 

based on ko record then gambir > sachin and smith. probably dhawan too. i still believe if dhawan had played vs n.z and england in 2019 WC, india would have won the WC. he was at his best shape and in red hot form.

Edited by Jay
3 hours ago, Jay said:

based on ko record then gambir > sachin and smith. probably dhawan too. i still believe if dhawan had played vs n.z and england in 2019 WC, india would have won the WC. he was at his best shape and in red hot form.

Also Shami. He ripped through the NZ batting in the ODI series in NZ, just a few months before the WC. And they played Chahal instead of him on a seamer friendly track. Biggest selection blunder I have ever seen. 

4 hours ago, AuxiliA said:

Also Shami. He ripped through the NZ batting in the ODI series in NZ, just a few months before the WC. And they played Chahal instead of him on a seamer friendly track. Biggest selection blunder I have ever seen. 

I know. Kohli should be banned from captaincy for that reason alone.