Covid: Is Europe letting its guard down early?

zen

On one hand, we have the threat of the Delta variant (and maybe other mutations) spreading. On the other hand, we see many countries in Europe opening up for tourism for summer (in a controlled manner), and at Euro 2020, many stadiums are said to be at almost full capacity.  So far approx. 35% Europeans have received at least one dose. I do not have information on the percent of population that has received 2 doses. Also Germany's CureVac has suffered a setback (efficacy rate around 47%). 

Is Europe letting its guard down early? Will we see a lockdown in winter in Europe? Or is it on the right track? 

Below a shot from Hungary v Portugal match in Budapest:

hungary-portugal-fans-1024x683.jpg

36 minutes ago, maniac said:

I went to Target yesterday. Pretty much everyone were roaming around without masks. I think only the employees had a mandatory mask rule. So not sure if USA is dealing with it any better 

If I am not wrong, 45% of US population is fully vaccinated so probably not similar to Europe 

In Canada, only 16% of the population is fully vaccinated 

Only about 15% wearing masks in malls, grocery shops in US. The mask mandate lift is only for those not vaccinated, others need to wear masks , in an “honor” system. Offices are not compulsory. We still wear them out of fear

Edited by coffee_rules

39 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Only about 15% wearing masks in malls, grocery shops in US. The mask mandate lift is only for those not vaccinated, others need to wear masks , in an “honor” system. Offices are not compulsory. We still wear them out of fear

When colleges/universities open in the fall for full F2F enrolment, dorm living, partying, football games etc., the excrement is going to hit the fan.  There's already a big tug-of-war between colleges that want to mandate vaccines for enrolment and the "this-is-against-our-autonomy" crowd.  Lawsuits have been filed against some universities who have decided to mandate vaccines.  Imagine being an older prof at a state institution in red America that cannot mandate vaccines, and spending 10 hrs a week in a cramped auditorium with 800 freshmen wondering how many of these 18 yr olds are unvaccinated, unmasked and unfetteredly partying.  Just got to trust that, if you are yourself vaccinated, your chances of becoming seriously ill are really small and push through.