Cinematography in new Bollywood films

zen

The Bollywood cinematographers are mediocre today just as most of the stuff they make. The regional cinema especially down south are miles ahead in framing and lighting scenes.  

last movie I saw where cinematographer was given a free hand and tried to stretch possibilities was in Aks. Not a great movie but Kiran Deohans really pushed the ante. 

Lootera was good to some extent. 

2 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Yes but they make them look realistic.. Lord of the rings that came out in 2001 has better cgi and vfx than 21st century Bollywood films 

Difference in budget is huge too. Here 100-150 cr film is considered a big budget film. Hollywood uses 100s of crores just for VFX.

16 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

its a poor generalization - their are good , bad, great, avg everything avl which is with every industry 

What’s great or acceptable for one person is mediocre for another. And everyone is justified in their opinion. I was crazy about Bollywood till couple of decades. And this is my view now. That’s how cookie crumbles. 

Just now, ravishingravi said:

What’s great or acceptable for one person is mediocre for another. And everyone is justified in their opinion. I was crazy about Bollywood till couple of decades. And this is my view now. That’s how cookie crumbles. 

what good is good , we have this habbit of undermining the commercial thing or generalizing but some of the guys are internationally renowned for their work 

• Rajeev ravi
  • Santosh sivan
  • PC sreeram
  • Pankaj kumar
  • KU mohnanan
  • Ravi k Chandaran
  • Ravi verman 
  • Anay goswami 

All are outstanding , Work of Santosh sivan n PC sreeram is taught in Abroad film schools 

11 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

He did a great job with Haider and Tumbaad no doubt. Btw VB seems to be working with a new DOP for his Netflix movie. 

and ship of thesus 

Pankaj is a busy guy now , he has to much in his plate. Directors do work with diff DOP at times, mani ratnam worked with Santosh sivan, rajeev ravi 

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

what good is good , we have this habbit of undermining the commercial thing or generalizing but some of the guys are internationally renowned for their work 

• Rajeev ravi
  • Santosh sivan
  • PC sreeram
  • Pankaj kumar
  • KU mohnanan
  • Ravi k Chandaran
  • Ravi verman 
  • Anay goswami 

All are outstanding , Work of Santosh sivan n PC sreeram is taught in Abroad film schools 

Please note I mentioned Bollywood specifically. And I specifically mentioned this. 

4 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

The regional cinema especially down south are miles ahead in framing . 

Yes, Bollywood is mediocre and champion in celebrating mediocrity. In my opinion, we are still celebrating mediocrity and our exceptions are not exceptional. Regional cinema is a different story though. I am not putting anyone down. Its the same view I hold of mainstream Hollywood cinema.

But its good you made me think. Last really world class cinematography along with art direction I found was in Tumbbad. But it was independently funded and not by the mediocre industry. 

1 minute ago, ravishingravi said:

Sure and none of their best works imo are in Bollywood. If you think some of their work with Bollywood is world class and I haven't seen, then I would be happy to give a look. I am checking this thread anyway. 

i hve mentioned the list above and will add im sure i hve missed many