• Nolan's Batman
    • Snyder's DC Extended Universe
  2. 2. Favorite Batman Film

• Batman (1989)
    • Batman Returns (1992)
    • Batman Begins (2005)
    • The Dark Knight (2008)
    • The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
    • Batman v Superman Ultimate Edition Restored (2020)
    • Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021)

Will focus on the ones directed by Burton, Nolan, and Snyder: 

• Burton: Batman (1989) and Batman Returns (1992) 
  • Nolan: Batman Begins (2005), The Dark Knight (2008), and The Dark Knight Rises (2012) 
  • Snyder (DC Extended Universe): Batman v Superman Ultimate Edition (2020, Restored), and Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021) 

For Snyder's DC Extended Universe, I have taken the latest versions of B v S UE (not the theatrical version released in 2016)  and ZSJL (not the "Josstice" League released in 2017)

Which is your favorite series? Which is your favorite film? Vote and discuss!! 

Apart from Batman Returns, which I had rented some time back on iTunes to see it in 4K DV,  I have remaining films in my collection. I may get Batman Returns too to complete the set: 

a) Batman + Nolan's Trilogy on 4K DV iTunes 

b) Snyder's on 4K UHD discs 

Since this is a favorite films thread, I am not too worried about the absolute quality of films, therefore will focus on fun/enjoyment/current rewatchability factors: 

• Burton films: Like how comic characters are transported to a relatively dark environment, a first for comic book films iirc. Whether it is Jack Nicholson in Batman or Michelle Pfeiffer in Batman Returns, they are fun to watch. The gothic atmosphere too is created nicely  
  • Nolan films: Brilliantly made films. Watched them a lot when they were new. Highlights for me include the Bhutan segment and the fight on the train in BB, Joker in TDK, and Catwoman, Batman's escape from the pit, and the seize in TDKR 
  • Snyder's films: The various investigations in the first part and action sequences, along with Eisenberg as Lex Luthor reminding me of SRK, in BvS UE. ZSJL is a 4-hour superhero epic!

For the series, Nolan's trilogy; For the film, ZSJL 

PS B v S UE IMAX 

Edited by zen

Quick thoughts on The Batman (2022):

Everytime we see a change in its director, the series changes its tone and style. Burton, Schumacher, Nolan, & Snyder brought their elements to the series. Philips brought a dark and grim tone to Joker. Reeves goes for a deglamorized and a slow burn approach, turning the Batsman into more of a detective film, maybe taking inspiration from Scandinavian dark mystery thrillers. There are no rights and wrongs here in the larger scheme of things. 

Is the film good? Yes, if you are into slow burn thrillers. Is it for everyone like the Burton or Nolan films for e.g.? Not necessarily. 

I thought The Batman was okay, maybe a bit too slow, but this suited the kind of film it was. Different take on it.

IMO The single best Bat-film (or film featuring Batman) is The Dark Knight , elevated by Heath Ledger, some amazing action sequences (the hostage rescue scene toward the end)

Worst Batman movie I've ever seen in my life. To be honest I preferred the parody movie with George Clooney as Batman over this. Pretentious, boring and extremely woke. Not sure why this movie was trying to shove all that woke crap on their audience. All good characters were of colour. All bad ppl white ppl (except Batman since he's black on the outside anyways :)).. Even in the movie that Catwoman lady says she is sick of all the rich, white ppl! I mean can it really get more woke than that? 

First time in my life I wanted a Batman movie to end desperately! Lots of ppl in the theatre were sleeping. Batman was more like Nancy Drew than Batman. The over-elaborate plot to destroy Gotham really made no sense. 

5 hours ago, bharathh said:

Worst Batman movie I've ever seen in my life. To be honest I preferred the parody movie with George Clooney as Batman over this. Pretentious, boring and extremely woke. Not sure why this movie was trying to shove all that woke crap on their audience. All good characters were of colour. All bad ppl white ppl (except Batman since he's black on the outside anyways :)).. Even in the movie that Catwoman lady says she is sick of all the rich, white ppl! I mean can it really get more woke than that? 

First time in my life I wanted a Batman movie to end desperately! Lots of ppl in the theatre were sleeping. Batman was more like Nancy Drew than Batman. The over-elaborate plot to destroy Gotham really made no sense. 

What are you talking about? The movie was good. Slow paced but the take on it was different compared to most Batman films. It was purely a detective movie and showcased the detective side of Batman, which is what he originally is, and how the comics intended him to be. 

You are seeing everything as political. That's not the movie's fault. If it was so woke and politically correct then how come every two sentences, the word Jesus in exasperation was used? In the movie the main bad guys were the mafia, including the Italians and drug lords. Which are usually and almost always predominantly white. When had their ever been a black guy in the Italian mafia or drug cartel?

The movie was good, better than the DCEU crap in recent years. 

Still not as good as Dark Knight primarily because of The Joker, but everything else was good and it's a good start as a reboot to the Batman franchise, with potential for even greater scripts in the sequels. 

14 hours ago, Sooda said:

I thought The Batman was okay, maybe a bit too slow, but this suited the kind of film it was. Different take on it.

IMO The single best Bat-film (or film featuring Batman) is The Dark Knight , elevated by Heath Ledger, some amazing action sequences (the hostage rescue scene toward the end)

Yep but that was more of an action superhero film. This is more of a dark gritty, crime detective film, showcasing the Batman's detective side ,which hardly any movie has ever done. The Batman was originally a vigilante detective as seen in the original comics. 

4 hours ago, I6MTW said:

What are you talking about? The movie was good. Slow paced but the take on it was different compared to most Batman films. It was purely a detective movie and showcased the detective side of Batman, which is what he originally is, and how the comics intended him to be. 

You are seeing everything as political. That's not the movie's fault. If it was so woke and politically correct then how come every two sentences, the word Jesus in exasperation was used? In the movie the main bad guys were the mafia, including the Italians and drug lords. Which are usually and almost always predominantly white. When had their ever been a black guy in the Italian mafia or drug cartel?

The movie was good, better than the DCEU crap in recent years. 

Still not as good as Dark Knight primarily because of The Joker, but everything else was good and it's a good start as a reboot to the Batman franchise, with potential for even greater scripts in the sequels. 

My opinion... You are welcome to like this is but it's the worst Batman ever. More like Nancy Drew man. 

Edited by bharathh

On 3/16/2022 at 1:48 AM, zen said:

Quick thoughts on The Batman (2022):

Everytime we see a change in its director, the series changes its tone and style. Burton, Schumacher, Nolan, & Snyder brought their elements to the series. Philips brought a dark and grim tone to Joker. Reeves goes for a deglamorized and a slow burn approach, turning the Batsman into more of a detective film, maybe taking inspiration from Scandinavian dark mystery thrillers. There are no rights and wrongs here in the larger scheme of things. 

Is the film good? Yes, if you are into slow burn thrillers. Is it for everyone like the Burton or Nolan films for e.g.? Not necessarily. 

that's a good assessment, also dovetails with mine