Help with historical forts and sites in Maharashtra

rahulrulezz

So every year, I go to India and visit historical forts/sites. This year, from March 22 to April 15, I will be in/out of Mumbai and visit forts/historical sites in first two weeks and watch IPL in last two weeks. I have been doing research and came up with below iteneary.  Can someone help me plan/modify/edit my existing schedule. 

My itinerary 

22-March-Mumbai-Kanjeri caves and mundeshwari caves

23 March- mumbai to Aurangabad- Auranagbad caves, Bibi ka maqbara

24March -Aurangabad- Ajanata caves

25 March -Aurangaba—Ellora caves

26 March- Daultabad fort,  and cab to Pune via Shivneri fort

27 March-Pune- Singhgad

28 March- Pune-Rajgad and IPL match 

29 March Lonavala- Lohagad fort and Karla caves

29March-Purandar fort and drive to Mahabaleshwar 

30 March - Mahabaleshwar -Pratapgarh fort

31 March- Kolhapur? - Panhala fort

1 April back to mumbai and watch IPL till April 15

I am very vey flexible with my schedule. Can someone from Maharashtra guide me if I can add more forts or sites that are a must or remove something from my schedule. I am willing to change my iteneary and locations as I haven’t booked any hotels yet. Also, I don’t want to do too hard/steep trekking as I have a phobia of heights. 

Edited by rahulrulezz

@rahulrulezz

March/April are not ideal for this kind of stuff. It is going to be very hot. Weather is hardly climbing conducive. 

Murud Janjira is definitely worth a see. Its on an island just off the coast of Murud. Even the drive to Murud just off the old Mumbai-Goa highway is scenic.

Kothaligad, near the village Peth is a fort in a good condition. However, its a small fort and more of a trek.  I still have no idea why I agreed to undertake this foolhardy adventure. It was a difficult trek, at least for me.

1 hour ago, Clarke said:

Check out Mumbai's other historical sites such as Elephanta caves and some other local/nearby forts such as those listed here. Elephanta is worth a visit given your interests, the other forts are something I was just aware of but not too motivated on. 

Aside of the Worli fort, that is visible from the Sea Link, and the Bandra Fort which is a mere outcropping at lands end, I haven't even heard of the others. :eek:

Elephanta too is very underwhelming. Went there as a a part of a school excursion. All I remember is that there are monkeys everywhere and they snatch packets of biscuits/chips etc. 

11 hours ago, Mariyam said:

@rahulrulezz

March/April are not ideal for this kind of stuff. It is going to be very hot. Weather is hardly climbing conducive. 

Murud Janjira is definitely worth a see. Its on an island just off the coast of Murud. Even the drive to Murud just off the old Mumbai-Goa highway is scenic.

Kothaligad, near the village Peth is a fort in a good condition. However, its a small fort and more of a trek.  I still have no idea why I agreed to undertake this foolhardy adventure. It was a difficult trek, at least for me.

I will be in Mumba in last two weeks for IPL so I will add Murud Janjira the day games are in Pune. I have already been to Elephanta as a kid so might give it a pass.  Thank you

Edited by rahulrulezz

11 hours ago, Clarke said:

Check out Mumbai's other historical sites such as Elephanta caves and some other local/nearby forts such as those listed here. Elephanta is worth a visit given your interests, the other forts are something I was just aware of but not too motivated on. 

Thank you for the link. Exactly what I needed as I wasn’t sure what to do in mumbai other than IPL. Elephanta I have already been there. 

17 hours ago, rahulrulezz said:

Thank you for the link. Exactly what I needed as I wasn’t sure what to do in mumbai other than IPL. Elephanta I have already been there. 

Keep ur expectations low, looking at the available photos there might not be much left of the forts in Mumbai. 

The good part of being in Mumbai, you can fly off to many locations in India although summer is a tough time to be outdoors in all of India. 

On 3/10/2022 at 11:01 PM, rahulrulezz said:

I will be in Mumba in last two weeks for IPL so I will add Murud Janjira the day games are in Pune. I have already been to Elephanta as a kid so might give it a pass.  Thank you

If you are planning to do the Pune to Murud drive, a small detour will take you to Aamby Valley. Can be a nice 2-3 day stay.