Will SA turn out to be a strong dark horse at T20WC22?

zen

Like how the team is shaping up so far!

Batting: QdK, Markham, Miller, RvD, etc., along w/ new guys like Brevis 

Bowling: A bit of a concern atm with Rabada & Nortje, but Jensen can pick up wkts. Pretorius can be handful with the bat as well. Good spinners in guys like Shamsi and Maharaj. 

Btw, the world cup comes, it may have discovered some other talents as well (SA is a major cricket talent exporter too with teams like Eng & NZ benefitting from it). 

SA is in Group 2, which includes - BD, Ind, & Pak, along w/ WI (expected to win Group B), and NAM (expected to finish at #2 in Group A) 

The last 3 world titles irrespective of formats have been passed among Eng (ODI), NZ (WTC), & Aus (T20), therefore maybe SA can expect a good tournament :hmmm:

So will SA turn out to be a strong dark horse in the upcoming WC or will its bad luck continue to haunt it? 

2 minutes ago, zen said:

Like how the team is shaping up so far!

Batting: QdK, Markham, Miller, RvD, etc., along w/ new guys like Brevis 

Bowling: A bit of a concern atm with Rabada & Nortje, but Jensen can pick up wkts. Pretorius can be handful with the bat as well. Good spinners in guys like Shamsi and Maharaj. 

Btw, the world cup comes, it may have discovered some other talents as well (SA is a major cricket talent exporter too with teams like Eng & NZ benefitting from it). 

SA is in Group 2, which includes - BD, Ind, & Pak, along w/ WI (expected to win Group B), and NAM (expected to finish at #2 in Group A) 

The last 3 world titles irrespective of formats have been passed among Eng (ODI), NZ (WTC), & Aus (T20), therefore maybe SA can expect a good tournament :hmmm:

So will SA turn out to be a strong dark horse in the upcoming WC or will its bad luck continue to haunt it? 

Why is it bad luck only when it happens to a white origin nation. Morelike they are serial chokers.

As for the team, forget about loi, I already mentioned how potent they are in tests for a while now. They are a top side in sena conditions.

F me we are with SA and Pak again :wall: 

Both are superior T20 teams than us.

Even though Bangla looks easy on paper, one bad day and they do have the batting to chase down decent totals in T20

Then there is WI with a lot of hackish X factor players who can win games on their own if they come off.

Not looking good for India :((  

6 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Qdk is also another certified bottler. Markram and Van der dussen are the only ones who do well in pressure and in Australia, I think Markram will be key because he is such a good player of pace and bounce.

Van der Dussen is the clutch player. Markram has the choking gene too

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Why is it bad luck only when it happens to a white origin nation.

That is for ppl who followed SA since 1992 to understand. 

1992 WC SF -> D&L (only of the best teams on its debut)

1999 WC SF -> The tied game (the best team in the competition per many) 

2003 WC -> D&L but this time due to a communication error in the game versus SL, which it should have won and therefore missed out on super 6

Edited by zen
15 minutes ago, zen said:

1996 WC -> D&L but this time due to a communication error in the game versus

That was 2003.

1996 they ran into a man called Brian Charles Lara.

it was poor team selection too I think, they played an extra spinner and Lara smacked them all over.

23 minutes ago, zen said:

1992 WC SF -> D&L (only of the best teams on its debut)

1996 WC -> D&L but this time due to a communication error in the game versus SL, which it should have won and therefore missed out on super 6

1999 WC SF -> The tied game (the best team in the competition per many) 

The 1999 game I remember watching live. What rhe hell was Donald thinking. I uses to belive it was fixed. I still don't know if it was. Was shocking. They really deserves to win that one. Post 2003 however they were nothing but chokers. That's the truth. 

Edited by Jay
52 minutes ago, maniac said:

That was 2003.

it was poor team selection too I think, they played an extra spinner and Lara smacked them all over.

We picked wrong selections almost all the time too. Like in WTC final. In 2019 WC. Not picking correct players cost us 3 titles. My question is regarding how it's never about india being unlucky or facing bad luck. Yet when it comes to sena, it's the norm to give them the benefit of doubt regarding luck factor. That's all. Not talking about you in general or zen. Just in general. I don't this understand this attitude from Indians. Lol makes no sense. Look at the delusional neighbours for instance. Sure we don't have to be bipartisan like them but a little support won't hurt. 

I guess the problem lies in the fact that every state has its own lanagauge. There is a lack of unity.

Edited by asterix
14 minutes ago, maniac said:

That was 2003.

Yep, 2003 … In 1998, SA won the CT iirc so   mostly post 1999 at world events when they were a strong side 

In 2015 WC SF too but NZ at home is tough to beat 

6 minutes ago, zen said:

Yep, 2003 … In 1998, SA won the CT iirc so   mostly post 1999 at world events when they were a strong side 

Rain derailed their chance otherwise 370 was on the target after 50 overs. They bowled poorly.

Pak was "unlucky" too to a certain extent losing many SF/F in 1979, 1983, 1985 (Aus tournament), & 1987 (were playing exceptional cricket) ... Turned it around in 1989 Nehru Cup (Wasim hit a 6 in Richard's last over. PS Scorecard - Imran was both the MoM in the final & Player of the Tournament) and then in fact had luck going its way in 1992 (for e.g. ended up with getting a point against Eng, which Pak would have lost - Scorecard. Also WI lost to an off color Aus) 

SA can turn it around too! ... In Group 2, it has a chance to make it to the SF (one of the better teams in the group) and then anything can happen :dontknow:

PS WI was "unlucky in the 80s", losing in 2 finals (one to Ind in '83 WC, which it would have won "normally"; the other to Pak in the Nehru Cup, where Wasim hit a 6 off the 2nd last ball. 6s were not that frequently hit in that period esp. against strong teams) 

Edited by zen
1 hour ago, zen said:

SAF were hard done by the rain. They were kn their way to win and it would have been an awesome final.

3 hours ago, Majestic said:

Bowling attack is weak, so a No on merit. Rabada is good in patches but not among the best T20 bowlers, Nortje is their main guy.

Not sold on lungi and Jansen. These guys choke in big games.

Jansen will run through our top order

7 minutes ago, Lord said:

as if others can lol

Rohit and Rahul displayed high class batting vs swing bowling in England last year. They struggle only vs left arm pacers who bring the ball in. Shaw will struggle even if Vijay Shankar swings it at 118kph with new bowl. He will get squared up and get into S shape.

Edited by Majestic