England cricket - ruthless aggression.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/neth-vs-eng-2022-brydon-carse-eyes-middle-overs-role-as-england-seek-to-fill-plunkett-hole-1320729

First, they dumped Plunkett after WC 2019 final although he did well. Why? His role was to be a genuine quick, but that had peaked.

The hole left by Liam Plunkett's unceremonious exit from the England set-up has been vast since the 2019 World Cup, when he was the unsung hero of England's triumph with an all-star list of vital scalps in the middle overs - not least the wicket of Kane Williamson as he took 3 for 42 in the final. He was no longer a genuine quick bowler by that tournament but had developed a method to succeed, generally bowling cross-seam and looking to hit the top of the stumps or the splice of the bat.

England's decision to move on from Plunkett immediately after the final was brutal, but has ultimately proved justified: injuries limited him to 13 all-format appearances across the next two years and he is now in the United States, preparing to play his part in the launch of Major League Cricket.

Second, they are telling his heir-apparent to just focus on pace and bounce in the middle overs.  Umran Malik should be given this kind of role and freedom.

"[Morgan] has been very clear with me," Carse said. "He said I am going to come on first or second change and look to bowl through the middle, be aggressive, use my pace, use my bouncer and just make it difficult. I want to come on and be aggressive.

Am effin jealous.

Edited by BacktoCricaddict
15 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/neth-vs-eng-2022-brydon-carse-eyes-middle-overs-role-as-england-seek-to-fill-plunkett-hole-1320729

First, they dumped Plunkett after WC 2019 final although he did well. Why? His role was to be a genuine quick, but that had peaked.

Second, they are telling his heir-apparent to just focus on pace and bounce in the middle overs.  Umran Malik should be given this kind of role and freedom.

Am effin jealous.

England has been rather poor in terms of unearthing or utilizing quick bowlers in the last 40 years. 

10 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

But they seem to be learning the value of speed - at least for LOIs. To me, it was just another symptom of their overall aggressive approach since 2015.

England want 1 pacer with extreme speed in the playing 11 these days, after 2015 or so. (  140  k to 153 k type pacer ). But these pacers are too injury prone and miss a lot of matches. 

They don't understand the value of the highly skilful 135 k to 145 k/147 k pacers who actually turn out to be the best pacers  (  like Cummins, Bumrah, Rabada, Shami ) 

Apart from that sole extreme speed pacer ... they choose 127 k to 140 k type pacers who are rarely all-condition pacers.

11 hours ago, express bowling said:

Brydon Carse is probably not that quick.

More a tall  Fast-medium bowler.

I saw him bowling around 140-145 kph range against Pakistan I guess in ODIs..  That's decent enough if they are looking for a liam plunkett replacement. 

28 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

I saw him bowling around 140-145 kph range against Pakistan I guess in ODIs..  That's decent enough if they are looking for a liam plunkett replacement. 

Yes ... 140 k to 145 k in quite quick if a pacer is either skiddy or bouncy.

He looked slower than that in the videos I have watched 

Let's see.

Lol people are overrating the pommie hacks. On true bouncy wickets they will get found out.theircbtmen can't play pace and bounce. Just like parkies who are going to get mutilated by india this time. I am betting my house on it.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Lol people are overrating the pommie hacks. On true bouncy wickets they will get found out.theircbtmen can't play pace and bounce. Just like parkies who are going to get mutilated by india this time. I am betting my house on it.

They can play pace & bounce that's why they do well in SA.  They have a mental block against Aus.  Indian batting line up these days is a joke.  They were crumbling even at home vs NZ & SL.  Iyer & Mayank carried us at home.   When your best batsman in SENA is Rohit Sharma things are dire. 

46 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

They can play pace & bounce that's why they do well in SA.  They have a mental block against Aus.  Indian batting line up these days is a joke.  They were crumbling even at home vs NZ & SL.  Iyer & Mayank carried us at home.   When your best batsman in SENA is Rohit Sharma things are dire. 

Nha I watched the series. There was no Jansen, ngidi in that series saffers lost at home 3 -1. Also that black fella who thwarted us dint play. Pietersen. Olivier dint play either. Neither did midget bavuma who is good vs pace and bounce. 

England aint good vs pace and bounce in tests against good bowlers. Prasidh will be a huge problem for them.

Well we don't have mental block vs them. We have mental block vs Kiwis for some reason away from home that is. Yes I agree Indian batting is not just a joke, it's our worst bunch in history. 

Top 5 is the worst in our history by far going by who they are likely to pick. 

Our strongest esque batting lineup would be;

Gill

Rohitaa / ideally eeshwaran who is talented vs swing

Shaw at 3 would be interesting 

Kela

Sarfraz khan he is a beast

Pannnauti pant

Sundar bun

If we play this lineup we can definitely challenge England in England. No guarantee but there are many stroke players there. We will do well. 

Edited by Jay
9 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

No he was mostly between 135-140 ,early in the series he clocked 144,145 at times

He is sharpish,yes Not genuinely quick

But I like their approach here,far cry to what we see in Indian setup

Think they have a team rule that the batsmen must run in last ball of the innings irrespective of what happens (say swing and miss, or straight to bowler.....). One of their main players was reprimanded when he didn't and he was batting in the 90s, wanted to remain unbeaten, I think Malan.

Amazing attitude to have. 

3 hours ago, Gollum said:

Think they have a team rule that the batsmen must run in last ball of the innings irrespective of what happens (say swing and miss, or straight to bowler.....). One of their main players was reprimanded when he didn't and he was batting in the 90s, wanted to remain unbeaten, I think Malan.

Yes he reprimanded Malan even though they won easily and Malan scored a century https://wisden.com/stories/international-cricket/morgan-criticises-malans-failure-attempt-last-ball-bye

In the eyes of captain Morgan however, his side still have a way to go to recreating the collective attitude which helped drive them to a landmark one-day title as they look to add a T20 World Cup trophy to the cabinet. He even had a subtle dig at centurion Malan for his failure to attempt a bye from the final delivery of the innings, suggesting he was worried about protecting his average.

“It’s too early to say,” Morgan said. “I think giving guys that common goal and watching them strive towards it is the biggest indicator. If we get guys that are not running off the last ball of the game because they want to get a not out, there’s something to address.”

16 hours ago, Jay said:

Nha I watched the series. There was no Jansen, ngidi in that series saffers lost at home 3 -1. Also that black fella who thwarted us dint play. Pietersen. Olivier dint play either. Neither did midget bavuma who is good vs pace and bounce. 

England aint good vs pace and bounce in tests against good bowlers. Prasidh will be a huge problem for them.

Well we don't have mental block vs them. We have mental block vs Kiwis for some reason away from home that is. Yes I agree Indian batting is not just a joke, it's our worst bunch in history. 

Top 5 is the worst in our history by far going by who they are likely to pick. 

Our strongest esque batting lineup would be;

Gill

Rohitaa / ideally eeshwaran who is talented vs swing

Shaw at 3 would be interesting 

Kela

Sarfraz khan he is a beast

Pannnauti pant

Sundar bun

If we play this lineup we can definitely challenge England in England. No guarantee but there are many stroke players there. We will do well. 

Eng have done well vs SA in multiple tours, going back to 2000s iirc. they can play pace and bounce, but can't handle Oz due to mental weaknesses.

2004 Eng tour of SA: 2-1 win for Eng

2009 Eng tour of SA: 1-1 draw for Eng

2015 Eng tour of SA: 2-1 win for Eng

2019 Eng tour of SA: 3-1 win for Eng

They know how to beat the hell out of those aparthedists

12 hours ago, Gollum said:

yep, morgan is tough as nails. he should be asked to captain our superstars, would love to see the result

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

Eng have done well vs SA in multiple tours, going back to 2000s iirc. they can play pace and bounce, but can't handle Oz due to mental weaknesses.

2004 Eng tour of SA: 2-1 win for Eng

2009 Eng tour of SA: 1-1 draw for Eng

2015 Eng tour of SA: 2-1 win for Eng

2019 Eng tour of SA: 3-1 win for Eng

They know how to beat the hell out of those aparthedists

Dint they lose to saffers at home ? Between 2009-2013.

57 minutes ago, Jay said:

Dint they lose to saffers at home ? Between 2009-2013.

they did, but that was down to some extraordinary form from Aaaamla.

In general, Eng knows how to beat SA at home. those SA turn into colonial whipping boys when they see eng.

Now, look at the team #5 onwards:  Livingstone, Ali, Curran, Willey, Carse, Rashid, Payne.  7 guys who can bowl.  So, if one of the primary bowlers (Carse, Willey, Rashid, Curran or Payne) is getting carted on a given day, one of the others can plug the hole a bit.

India's #5 is Pandya who *can*, in theory, bowl, but that is a big risk.  #6 is Dinesh Karthik because we need a finisher.  #7 - 11 (Jadeja/Axar, Avesh, BK, Harshal, Bumrah) are the 5 primary bowlers and among them maybe one (Jadeja/Axar) is a decent LOI bat.  

All I can hope for is that we play the Pommies in the 2022WCT20 final, the Poms have a terrible day, and our guys are inspired to play their best cricket ever, and somehow crush them.  Like 9 times out of 10, they will win, but when it really matters, our guys will somehow pull it off.  

Edited by BacktoCricaddict