India vs Windies , 2nd T20, Basseterre

Just now, sandeep said:

Thats nonsense scoreboard criticism.  He was batting with a bowler at the other end, and trying to hit.  If it came off and he hits a few boundaries, you would have been fine.  Its important to not always judge by outcome, but by method.   And take a bigger picture view.  you are just getting emotional over your disappointment with the team score and looking to fingerpoint and scapegoat. 

I'm personally very happy with this game.  I'm happy to see India keep pressing hard up top even with 3 wickets down.  I'm not too upset about a low score to defend, I want to see how the  bowlers respond to this pressure against the power hitting that windies bring to the game.  

We dont want to win every game in one-sided manner.  Especailly in these meaningless series.  These are all for figuring out our best combinations, which players can handle pressure.  This is good.  I'll be ok with a loss here as long as the bowlers make a fair fight of it.

He had Jadeja and Ashwin at other end. Not exactly tailenders. Batted below one of them.

Came with 5 overs to go so its not unfair to expect atleast run a ball knock. The consolidation had already been done.I didnt see him trying to hit until the ball he got out.

If hes gonna bat in last 5 overs, he should be able to get off the blocks quickly and assess the situation and the wicket. Tough role, but thats what assigned to him.

16 minutes ago, Lord said:

Ash wont replace Jaddu though. It will be Axar and the likes.

Ash competes with Sundar as of now.

I get that, but I'm just saying that Ashwin deserves to be in the conversation for 2nd spinner.  Problem is that its difficult to have 2 spinners who aren't really power-hitting capable contributors.  If we had a Mahipal Lomror or Livingstone type leggie who could tonk a few, even inconsistently, then Ash would slot in nicely at #9.  Honestly I trust Ash more in T20s than a Kuldeep or a Jaddu as 2nd spinner.  Especially Jaddu.  Because we already would have a leggie in Chahal, then having a wicket-taking off-spinner is much better than a "containing" SLA who is not that great a power hitter anyway.  

2 minutes ago, Lord said:

Game is not lost by any means.

This is a tough pitch to bat.  Just need 1-2 early wickets.

1st over will set the tone.  If Bhuvi  can do his magic and take 2 early then we can win.

Odds are not in that favor though.  

1 minute ago, Frustrated said:

Maccoy took 6 wickets.   Shaheen might fancy a 10 wicket haul against us. New record to be created? 

Against Pak, we can afford to give that one guy a maiden 1st up, and then still put up enough to spank that team.  Don't be a fattu.  And don't over-do the under-rating of our quality team.

Just now, sandeep said:

I get that, but I'm just saying that Ashwin deserves to be in the conversation for 2nd spinner.  Problem is that its difficult to have 2 spinners who aren't really power-hitting capable contributors.  If we had a Mahipal Lomror or Livingstone type leggie who could tonk a few, even inconsistently, then Ash would slot in nicely at #9.  Honestly I trust Ash more in T20s than a Kuldeep or a Jaddu as 2nd spinner.  Especially Jaddu.  Because we already would have a leggie in Chahal, then having a wicket-taking off-spinner is much better than a "containing" SLA who is not that great a power hitter anyway.  

our 2nd spinner purely on bowling skills is Kuldeep followed by Bishnoi

they look for someone who could bat at 7 and bowl spin. Ashwin just misses out. I'd have tried Tewatia by now.Axar is improving.

2 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Jadeja and Ashwin can exploit the bounce more than the fast bowlers. Hardik will try to bounce out a few and give a binaca smile.

More than anyone else today, I think he is to blame.  Not a huge deal, but his shot was bad.  He had batted for 30 balls, he was 'in'.  If he doesn't throw his wicket away by picking out the fielder,  India probably skitter away to 160-odd and a win.  But having said that, its small margins, I mean, with a 5% better execution, thats a 6 or a 4.  Can't always get it right.  However, given the situation, his experience, his form, he should aimed that shot at a  gap, not right at an outfielder.

3 minutes ago, Lord said:

our 2nd spinner purely on bowling skills is Kuldeep followed by Bishnoi

they look for someone who could bat at 7 and bowl spin. Ashwin just misses out. I'd have tried Tewatia by now.Axar is improving.

Tewatia bowling is almost worse than Hooda's  thats the problem.  At that point, I'd rather have Hooda.

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Not sure what game you were watching then.

Same as you.

Here's his innings. I can barely count 3 aggressive shots towards the end of his knock.

I watched the knock though,not going by cricinfo.

W
McCoy to Karthik, OUT

That's a four-for for Obed! Short-ish ball on middle and off. DK gets inside the line of the ball to play a cute paddle-pull over short fine leg. But it's not off the bat's sweet spot, and the fielder at short fine runs to his left to take a catch

Dinesh Karthik c Joseph b McCoy 7 (13b 0x4 0x6) SR: 53.84

Smith to Karthik, 1 run

Full on his toes in front of off stump. Flicked to square leg for one. WI won't mind this, especially off Odean's overs

Smith to Karthik, no run

Fullish ball on middle, and angling down the leg side while DK misses the flick. But wide not given, did it graze something? Karthik thought it should've been a wide.

McCoy to Karthik, no run

Another tidy over. Full just outside off. Karthik gets down on one knee to clobber a big shot over the leg side. But ends up inside-edging the shot onto his body

McCoy to Karthik, 1 run

Drilled down the ground to long off. Powell runs around to ensure it remains just a single

McCoy to Karthik, 1 run

Full just outside off. DK goes low and played a slog sweep kind of shot to deep midwicket

1w
McCoy to Karthik, 1 wide

Full and quite wide outside off. Trying to make DK reach out, more so after spotting DK shuffle across. But McCoy has overdone it.

Shivendra: "I am definitely one of the most pessimistic people in out there but this feels like one of those matches where we shouldn't draw much conclusions until both teams have batted. "

Joseph to Karthik, 1 run

Length ball on off, and he swivels to pull. Mistimed to the packed leg-side boundary, where there are two sweeper fielders in action

Ash: "The authentic Chennaite and the adopted one batting together, with another one to come."

Hosein to Karthik, 1 run

Good length, fourth-stump line. Cut to deep point once more

Hosein to Karthik, no run

Full on off. Turning away but Karthik presses forward and smothers it with a defensive shot

Hosein to Karthik, no run

Around the stumps. Fullish on middle and skidding into leg. DK misses the attempted clip, and hits him in front of leg stump. BIG LBW APPEAL but turned down. They don't review, probably going down leg

Hosein to Karthik, 1 run

Around the stumps. Length ball on off. Bit of turn away. Karthik backs away to the leg side before cutting to the deep

Holder to Karthik, 1 run

Yorker attempted, ends up landing near his toes. Clipped to deep backward square leg

Holder to Karthik, no run

Welcomed with a pace-off slower ball on leg stump. DK tries to play it fine off his heel, but it grazes his pad en route to Thomas

Here's DK.

9 hours ago, sandeep said:

Ash will be my 2nd spinner after Chahal in t20Wc , he has more pros over any other 

1 minute ago, Lord said:

Same as you.

Here's his innings. I can barely count 3 aggressive shots towards the end of his knock.

I watched the knock though,not going by cricinfo.

Even though you watched it you are judging by outcome.  Are you saying he didn't attempt any big shot in that series of deliveries you copied from crapinfo?  Sure, he didn't succeed in getting a boundary, but doesn't mean he didn't try.  Not every time a batsman is going to succeed in the shot he attempts.  You don't decide based on 1 innings or even a couple of 10 ball innings.  You look at his skill set, execution percentage, over a larger data set.