The road ahead for Bollywood

Number

30 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Why should they keep mum? Is speaking your mind out an issue now? Should we watch what we say in our own country?

Everybody should have the opportunity to make a fool of themselves in front of the media. Why should Bollywood stars deny themselves this opportunity?

That said, people (and the media in general) should stop looking at Bollywood stars as some kind of thought leaders. 

That’s what the country has become now. I saw a boycott trend for Vijay devarkonda’s new movie. Apparently the boycott gang didn’t like they way he sat in the couch with his legs up the table. Also apparently in a Puja he was sitting while the priests were standing.

all it takes now is some random slow flake getting hurt about his sentiments and starting a trend. 

48 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Karachi paymasters? 

The likes of Karan Johar could buy out half of Karachi if he chooses to.

Your posts are a confused muddle of angry emotions.

This whole 'escapism' is not limited to Indian audiences only. Masala is not just for low IQ Indian crowds. The apparently smart and ueber civilized Western crowd laps up non sense like Avengers/DC/Marvel/ Scavengers for the better part of a decade. Fast and Furious has more releases than the I pod. Both started at roughly the same time.

I don't think that Total Dhamaal or Housefull 4 are particularly worse than Fast and Furious version 8.0 with the ultra laconic 'I only grunt' Vin Diesel. 

Talking of nepotism: Have you bought a rock for your girl yet? Did you pause to think how the jewellery store is run? Most of the established retail jewellers (in India) are family run enterprises. Is that nepotism? Would you stop buying from TBZ just because they are a fourth generation jeweller and do not give a chance to outsiders to run their business? I've never seen this nepotism charge on any other industry. Where is the #boycottTBZnepotismsucks campaign?

The producers are more comfortable handing out roles to family names they trust and have worked with. Its just that.

Buying a earing set is different to paying money to watch an art from. The product from a jewellery store will still be the same if the family member is passionate about selling or not.. but if a film is made without the actors knowing an ioata of acting its an insult to the art and the viewer who are paying for experts of acting on screen. If you are happy with nepotism stars running bollywood thats fine, no ones cancelling them or banning them. If they see the industry as a money making factory without a regard of what their audience wants to see and also not improving their acting then the public can choose to economically boycott this industry as they are being taken for a mug and films are not being produced in line with their expectations.

Cant believe you actually compared Avengers ( made on usually 200/300 million dollar budgets based on real comic book figures) to crappy films like Total Dhamaal. When the next avengers is filled with songs and inappropriate innuendos then come back to me and we can compare.

@Mariyam

Bollywood has lost all its originality- they ONLY want to make remakes of South Indian films which hindi audience can see on OTT... and then they complain their films are not making money. On a side note both these actors are nepotism products BUT they have become good actors after 25-30 years in the industry. Anyone can become a good actor in that time. My Gripe is the same rope not given to outsider new actors of 10/15 years to establish themselves when chewtiyas like Arjun Kapoor, Ananya and Jhanvi get films after films without knowing a shred of acting

14 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Looks like Alia is doing a Kareena and God save Brahmastra

Can't stand her & her family at all....  Regardless Brahmastra is a Indian origin a action Fantasy movie adaptation based on our religious Texts.  Movie should be watched by all to encourage such stuff. Otherwise as Bachchan once said Hollywood or even Korean Cinema will kill our film industry.  We need to compete with the big boys to survive. 

44 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

@Mariyam

Bollywood has lost all its originality- they ONLY want to make remakes of South Indian films which hindi audience can see on OTT... and then they complain their films are not making money. On a side note both these actors are nepotism products BUT they have become good actors after 25-30 years in the industry. Anyone can become a good actor in that time. My Gripe is the same rope not given to outsider new actors of 10/15 years to establish themselves when chewtiyas like Arjun Kapoor, Ananya and Jhanvi get films after films without knowing a shred of acting

lol Hrithik is one of the best actors in Bollywood since the start I think. He was phenomenal in Guzaarish.  Saif has recently started to become better at least 10 times better than Selmon or even Aamir. 

Nepotism exists everywhere...  Somewhere good,  sometimes bad.  NTR & Ram Charan are also Nepo products.  Hrithik kills them in almost every aspect in acting skills. 

14 hours ago, Mariyam said:

This not relatable for the masses logic is not very compelling. Nor is it sound.

Two of the bigger hits in India in the recent few months have been Top Gun Maverick and Dr Strange Multiverse of Madness.

Wouldn't say that the average film goer can relate to either of the plots. Indian or American for that matter. Yet they did exceedingly well.

The average American can't relate to the Avenger/DC /Marvel mumbo jumbo either. Yet the movies are watched in droves.

The H capers are summer blockbusters. They are successful because of a loyal fan following or a cult following. There are DC vs Marvel fan rivalry akin to AK vs SRK fan rivalry of 90s and 00s. They are not successful because mango amreekans relate to them. They are more escapist like Welcome or Housefull series of our world. 

3 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Becoz the film was already in profit before in theatres sold, sold to OTT at profits and add digital . They are also sold for few years and then contract gets renewed by same or different OTT 

Kashyap films are pre sold to OTT at profit coz his market is Streaming platforms and in past torrent and his content gets buzz in some sections of international market too. 

So whatever number it makes in theatres is pure profit and limited amount release it had it didnt have other extra high cost . Ekta kapoor is damn smart and kashyap shoots in very low budgets

What do i say films dont flop , budget do. 

Remember LSD - one of the most profitable films , why do i say that coz it was made in 3 cr and just earned 9cr only in theatres 

Bheja fry 1 - made in 60 lacs earned 12 cr + streaming + OTT 

By the number of views it gets. When u open Netflix u see top 10 watched na..........so that's a big point

OTT has no collections films are sold to them at whatever prices depending on carious factor . 

The numbers mostly out their are not correct be it box office collection , film budgets or even how much its sold on OTT 

Confusing. Because you say both - pre-sold to profit and also number of views shown on NF. Do you by any chance know how much Do Baaraa was sold to OTT to call it profitable even before release?

Here’s an example, Darlings is said to be average hit based on number of views. It was solely released on OTT. Budget of 60 crores for Darlings is a bit OTT (over the top). Did they sell it to say 80 crores to OTT to call it average? Or because of number of views the producers earned average?

84-A70267-9-E0-E-4145-9-F5-F-E4464-A65-D

3 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Now high chance this may not work and people will make 100 theories\

Reality is everyone has seen vikram vedha dubbed online, it was one of the most watched south dubbed film

I had thought Hritik plays Madhavan. Incidentally, I only watched VV on a dubbed Hindi version.

Yuck.. can’t stand Saif. Can watch pigs with lipstick on doing slapstick stuff instead. 

10 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Confusing. Because you say both - pre-sold to profit and also number of views shown on NF. Do you by any chance know how much Do Baaraa was sold to OTT to call it profitable even before release?

no one knows the exact number apart form studio and prod but it wud be 25-40 that to for few yrs + digital right 

All these will be renewed after a point 

Here’s an example, Darlings is said to be average hit based on number of views. It was solely released on OTT. Budget of 60 crores for Darlings is a bit OTT (over the top). Did they sell it to say 80 crores to OTT to call it average? Or because of number of views the producers earned average?

84-A70267-9-E0-E-4145-9-F5-F-E4464-A65-D

stop reading these numbers , highly unreliable numbers 

U have seen darling - does it look like 60 cr film from any way ?? Does Dobara looks like 30 cr film ?? No

Darling budget wud be 20-25 and dobara actually shud be even lesser 

Raksha bandhan also isnt 115 cr, cost is higher.............that much only akshay takes 

Waise bhi i dnt get it why are public so obsessed with numbers ? Watch the film - like it or dont like it..............thats it rest what it makes and doesnt is producers problem 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

How it works - Red chillies has a deal with netflix and similarly other prod house too so they have min cost guarntee after that it depends on product

Darlings was a good product and Alia last gangubai was quite popular on netflix also Alia is a top female superstar so all these factors add 

the budget wud be 20-25 and film wud have easily sold around 50 ,  yes the news is off 80 cr even though i dont buy it but i wont dismiss it coz it depends when film was sold.

2 yrs back OTT were buying films are mad cost like absolute mad cost coz it was a competition who gets the best so it was like an auction. Many films that we talk today have been sold long long back when OTT were clueless so very few ppl know. Also it depends for how long the film will remain on platform , since it was green lite by netflix it wud remain for ever or atleast a very long period. Considering that period its a decent amount coz netflix will earn from it whole life so why shudnt the makers who put the hard work 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

2 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

How it works - Red chillies has a deal with netflix and similarly other prod house too so they have min cost guarntee after that it depends on product

Darlings was a good product and Alia last gangubai was quite popular on netflix also Alia is a top female superstar so all these factors add 

the budget wud be 20-25 and film wud have easily sold around 50 ,  yes the news is off 80 cr even though i dont buy it but i wont dismiss it coz it depends when film was sold.

2 yrs back OTT were buying films are mad cost like absolute mad cost coz it was a competition who gets the best so it was like an auction. Many films that we talk today have been sold long long back when OTT were clueless so very few ppl know. Also it depends for how long the film will remain on platform , since it was green lite by netflix it wud remain for ever or atleast a very long period. Considering that period its a decent amount coz netflix will earn from it whole life so why shudnt the makers who put the hard work 

Thanks. I was only interested in knowing how OTT business works. It is more like satellite rights, but for a brief period. I don’t know how much AB’s Suryavansham was sold to, but the TV channels have milked it beyond its death. 

2 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Waise bhi i dnt get it why are public so obsessed with numbers ? Watch the film - like it or dont like it..............thats it rest what it makes and doesnt is producers problem 

schadenfreude for non-fans , if it flops. Bragging rights for fans , if it is a hit. 

For me, it is just useless trivia that I learn everyday. 

5 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

@Mariyam

Hrithik isn't a good actor? 

Saif has been a good actor from the time of Dil Chahta Hai. Circa 2000/2001.

He's done many interesting and off beat roles since.

Far better actor than his mother, sister, daughter or his wife. 

23 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Thanks. I was only interested in knowing how OTT business works. It is more like satellite rights, but for a brief period. I don’t know how much AB’s Suryavansham was sold to, but the TV channels have milked it beyond its death. 

That was a different time . 

Few films that were a win win for channels were nayak, hera pheri , andaz apna apna as they all failed at box office but were massive TV success so sold at low prices .

This did help hera pheri 2 big time which wasnt as good as hera pheri 1 

Currently they are milking south dubbed specially telegu ones to the fullest which they bought at low prices but over the years developed a great following. People were well aware of allu arjun films , with pushpa success now all his films that were already sold on TV will have more viewership.

5 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Buying a earing set is different to paying money to watch an art from. The product from a jewellery store will still be the same if the family member is passionate about selling or not.. but if a film is made without the actors knowing an ioata of acting its an insult to the art and the viewer who are paying for experts of acting on screen. If you are happy with nepotism stars running bollywood thats fine, no ones cancelling them or banning them. If they see the industry as a money making factory without a regard of what their audience wants to see and also not improving their acting then the public can choose to economically boycott this industry as they are being taken for a mug and films are not being produced in line with their expectations.

Cant believe you actually compared Avengers ( made on usually 200/300 million dollar budgets based on real comic book figures) to crappy films like Total Dhamaal. When the next avengers is filled with songs and inappropriate innuendos then come back to me and we can compare.

Actually, I compared it to the Fast and Furious series. The comparison you cite is also very valid. The cost of the CGI/VFX is not in contention. Sure the Avenger Scavenger series have a far superior production metrics. But they are as much an exercise in loony escapist fantasy cinema as House-full 4.

Don't think watching Avengers requires any higher IQ than watching any of the Hollywood flicks that I've mentioned above. Would you argue otherwise?

Re: Jewellers, you've missed my point totally. 

One, Jewellery is also a piece of art. And its a far bigger economic and emotional investment than a mere movie.

But the wider point is, if @LordPrabhzy wanted to sell diamond earrings tomorrow, he wouldn't find it easy to source the diamonds. Or hire Karigars. Only because the industry is run and controlled by the same set of families for a long time. The supply/demand situation, pricing, access to raw materials are all in the fists of a select few. In the absence of even basic information, how do you know that you aren't getting gypped? That's real nepotism. What you have in Bollywood is a far milder version of this. 

And there are many such industries in India!

12 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Actually, I compared it to the Fast and Furious series. The comparison you cite is also very valid. The cost of the CGI/VFX is not in contention. Sure the Avenger Scavenger series have a far superior production metrics. But they are as much an exercise in loony escapist fantasy cinema as House-full 4.

Don't think watching Avengers requires any higher IQ than watching any of the Hollywood flicks that I've mentioned above. Would you argue otherwise?

Re: Jewellers, you've missed my point totally. 

One, Jewellery is also a piece of art. And its a far bigger economic and emotional investment than a mere movie.

But the wider point is, if @LordPrabhzy wanted to sell diamond earrings tomorrow, he wouldn't find it easy to source the diamonds. Or hire Karigars. Only because the industry is run and controlled by the same set of families for a long time. The supply/demand situation, pricing, access to raw materials are all in the fists of a select few. In the absence of even basic information, how do you know that you aren't getting gypped? That's real nepotism. What you have in Bollywood is a far milder version of this. 

And there are many such industries in India!

I still disgree.. Avengers might be a action flick but it doesnt have mindless songs or item numbers etc.. If you were to compare American Pie with Housefull then fine thats a good comparison

Also again you didnt get my point- I dont have any issues with nepotism as long as the final product to the customer isn't affected. It doesnt matter to a buyer if the jewellers are a long established set of family and if their kids are taking over AS long as the quality and service is the same... i dont care of Ambani gives his empire to this sons as long as the services and products they provide to their end customers is the same.. same with Lawyers, Doctors, dentists; if their kids take over the business its required that they have a minimum level of skill and experience which means the end customer still gets what they are paying for at the quality they want.

I would have had no issues with bollywood nepotism if the content and acting quality of these kids were actually good.. they are many Hollywood nepotism products but they are far more polished tha Arun, Jhanvi or Ananya.. the problem I HAVE with bollywood is their entitled nature and they think JUST because their parents were actors they will become too.. bhad me gayi acting

24 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Hrithik isn't a good actor? 

Saif has been a good actor from the time of Dil Chahta Hai. Circa 2000/2001.

He's done many interesting and off beat roles since.

Far better actor than his mother, sister, daughter or his wife. 

Mother too? Gajab beizzati. She acted well in so many good movies. Saif has probably 10% of the genes. Comparing  that much of his father’s, he is a decent Ranji player of acting

7 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

I still disgree.. Avengers might be a action flick but it doesnt have mindless songs or item numbers etc.. If you were to compare American Pie with Housefull then fine thats a good comparison

Also again you didnt get my point- I dont have any issues with nepotism as long as the final product to the customer isn't affected. It doesnt matter to a buyer if the jewellers are a long established set of family and if their kids are taking over AS long as the quality and service is the same... i dont care of Ambani gives his empire to this sons as long as the services and products they provide to their end customers is the same.. same with Lawyers, Doctors, dentists; if their kids take over the business its required that they have a minimum level of skill and experience which means the end customer still gets what they are paying for at the quality they want.

I would have had no issues with bollywood nepotism if the content and acting quality of these kids were actually good.. they are many Hollywood nepotism products but they are far more polished tha Arun, Jhanvi or Ananya.. the problem I HAVE with bollywood is their entitled nature and they think JUST because their parents were actors they will become too.. bhad me gayi acting

I like song and dance , if done in a good manner as much as Hollywood action scenes. They used to sell movies on those USPs , it is our art form as much as CGI and SFX is for Hollywood. But, These ultra pro max CGI,FX in those comics movies is a major headache. How many times will it be good to watch the same flying in space with nuclear weapons explosions and dhamaka. 

Bollywood with remixes and remakes are losing out on that pure Indian art forms of song and dance. 

19 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

I like song and dance , if done in a good manner as much as Hollywood action scenes. They used to sell movies on those USPs , it is our art form as much as CGI and SFX is for Hollywood. But, These ultra pro max CGI,FX in those comics movies is a major headache. How many times will it be good to watch the same flying in space with nuclear weapons explosions and dhamaka. 

Bollywood with remixes and remakes are losing out on that pure Indian art forms of song and dance. 

Because of the remake culture of songs i Have given up my love for Hindi songs... no originality no creativity. Right now dance in bollywood is item numbers by Norah Fatehi.. thats the gutter level we have come down to