Kantara - A Masterpiece?

kepler37b

The more I read about the context behind the folklore that this is based on the more I marvel at the filmmaking that went into this. Truly hats off to take a subject with such sensitivity and dedication. As a non-Kannadiga I did find the middle bit a little tedious - but the first part and obviously the climax more than make up for it.

26 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Inspiration for the Varaha Roopam song. Pretty similar to Malayalam’s Navarasam music video (2017) . Music Director Ajneesh denies , but it’s pretty obvious. Totally inspired

It's a Kerala theeyum - similar to a raagam. I had put this on the music thread last week comparing it to Varaha roopam. It's a style of music. 

On 10/19/2022 at 9:14 PM, bharathh said:

It's a Kerala theeyum - similar to a raagam. I had put this on the music thread last week comparing it to Varaha roopam. It's a style of music. 

varaha roopam is based on Thodi and Varali raaga mainly and so is Navarasam. But I am talking of the motif of the songs. the ensemble, the fusion of power chords in rock music and classical Karnataka music. I listen to a lot of music, both Indian classical and rock, it is not too difficult to miss such inspirations. The director has said they heard it and got inspired. . Both are greatly enjoyable, musically.

https://jsnewstimes.com/entertainment/kannada/kantara-what-did-ajaneesh-say-to-those-who-said-varaha-roopam-song-was-copied-from-malayalam

"

"It definitely inspired me. Just because that doesn’t mean I copied it. I got inspiration from tempo, rock band style…’ said Ajaneesh.

Edited by coffee_rules

Saw it the second time. Cried uncontrollably each time when Varaha Roopam played. 

I think what we are seeing now is whole generation of localized stories with influences or let's say exposure to global trends. It's no different in cricket where small towns seem to be producing the talent. 

The non Mumbai / Delhi crowd especially those from second and third tier seem to have string civilizational connect combined awareness of technique, diverse influences and uncluttered thought process. 

For me, critical appraisal doesn't mean much after a point. If filmmaker can pull strings in you, it's a success. Here the last 30 min is on different plane. But there is lots to like in rest of the movie as well. 

Kantara is establishing that ‘Being Hindu’ means to practice certain rituals, and normalizing them ... thats good for the Dharmic society

BTW any reactions from Abrahamics or non-Hindus who have seen the movie?

Edited by diga

On 10/16/2022 at 4:26 AM, Ankit_sharma03 said:

I expect the film to get in audience for next one month..............ab nahin rukegi 

Next releases are Ram setu, thank god and black adam - I dont expect great opening for both Ram setu and Thank god since promotion has been weak and also dont think they ll be any good either. Black adam will have its audience 

Kantara will keep growing here , soon it will become a thing where ppl who havent seen it will start to feel left out and then even they ll watch it 

nahin rukegi nahin rukegi 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

7 hours ago, diga said:

Kantara is establishing that ‘Being Hindu’ means to practice certain rituals, and normalizing them ... thats good for the Dharmic society

BTW any reactions from Abrahamics or non-Hindus who have seen the movie?

This is how those idiots will review the movie - Sample #1

Saw this masterpiece for second time. This time in telugu. Picked up few aspects that I missed.

They could have chopped down the love story and concentrated on the interaction with Guliga deva more profound instead of simple jump scares. But well, there are commercial aspects.

This is a winner of a movie inspite of all these minor nit pickings.

40 minutes ago, kepler37b said:

Saw this masterpiece for second time. This time in telugu. Picked up few aspects that I missed.

They could have chopped down the love story and concentrated on the interaction with Guliga deva more profound instead of simple jump scares. But well, there are commercial aspects.

This is a winner of a movie inspite of all these minor nit pickings.

Yes the run time could have been reduced by 10 min I reckon. But I would not narrate much more on Daiva. The impact in the finale is because of the build up. 

On 10/22/2022 at 1:10 AM, ravishingravi said:

Saw it the second time. Cried uncontrollably each time when Varaha Roopam played. 

I think what we are seeing now is whole generation of localized stories with influences or let's say exposure to global trends. It's no different in cricket where small towns seem to be producing the talent. 

The non Mumbai / Delhi crowd especially those from second and third tier seem to have string civilizational connect combined awareness of technique, diverse influences and uncluttered thought process. 

For me, critical appraisal doesn't mean much after a point. If filmmaker can pull strings in you, it's a success. Here the last 30 min is on different plane. But there is lots to like in rest of the movie as well. 

Just last 5 minutes, not last 30. Fight starts at around 30 mins left but out of last 30, only 5 were good.

36 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Just last 5 minutes, not last 30. Fight starts at around 30 mins left but out of last 30, only 5 were good.

Not just fights, the buildup, the realization of realities (while getting high on ganja), confronting at the dining table scene.. all added effect on the last 5 mins