Kantara - A Masterpiece?

kepler37b

2 hours ago, EnterTheVoid said:

Ordinary movie, can't understand the hype.

The story didn't even make any sense. 1/10.

What’s not to like? Story, action, cinematography, Music, BGM, wholesome entertainment about a basic plot of land struggle. You are not aware of local customs and tribal worshipping  ways of bhoota (local village gods)

The mallu music group had raised a copyright violation in Kerala courts and it was banned in Kerala and also in OTT. The matter is still being fought in court. but the version in prime is an inferior composition and it doesn’t have the same effect on the ending. Looks ordinary 

Edited by coffee_rules

Folks need to understand the three dimensional chess that creatives like Shetty need to play to arrive at the finished product. If he does not give mass scenes the masses will ditch and you need those useful idiots so the story he wanted to tell will be hidden below layers of masala that he needs to weave to get the masses to the theater. The audience has to mature before they make world class stories but what is apparent is creatives in india have understood the art of getting unique original stories as the market is rewarding that now. Next is the masses maturing as an audience then india will dominate world class movie making at far lesser budgets, as everything else. Not far off I say 5 years to 10 years. 

Edited by Vilander

On 11/24/2022 at 6:31 PM, EnterTheVoid said:

Ordinary movie, can't understand the hype.

The story didn't even make any sense. 1/10.

Kantara and RRR are good examples of aggressive digital marketing. Influence consumer decision making through IMDB ratings!

On 11/24/2022 at 8:56 PM, coffee_rules said:

What’s not to like? Story, action, cinematography, Music, BGM, wholesome entertainment about a basic plot of land struggle. You are not aware of local customs and tribal worshipping  ways of bhoota (local village gods)

WOOOOW!!!!

Will give it a go. @coffee_rules bhai most kannadigas get upset when you say KGF sucks :fear1: so will tread carefully.

being brought up on a diet of Telugu films I have reached a stage where I can suspend disbelief when Telugu heroes do ridiculous gravity defying stunts so now couldn’t buy into a Kannada hero I didn’t know about doing the same :)

Hopefully Kantara is better. I did watch randomly their earlier work Garuda Gamana… and thought it was different and well made technically so will look forward to watching it tonight 

7 minutes ago, maniac said:

Will give it a go. @coffee_rules bhai most kannadigas get upset when you say KGF sucks :fear1: so will tread carefully.

being brought up on a diet of Telugu films I have reached a stage where I can suspend disbelief when Telugu heroes do ridiculous gravity defying stunts so now couldn’t buy into a Kannada hero I didn’t know about doing the same :)

Hopefully Kantara is better. I did watch randomly their earlier work Garuda Gamana… and thought it was different and well made technically so will look forward to watching it tonight 

Well, it was a big screen experience like RRR, but you need to see it in 4K surround sound . I can vouch that it is better than KGF, KGF Is crap, Roopa etc. Recommend to watch Kannada with subtitles, but if you don’t prefer to read movies, the Telugu version is pretty good 

Edited by coffee_rules

5 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Well, it was a big screen experience like RRR, but you need to see it in 4K surround sound . I can vouch that it is better than KGF, KGF Is crap, Roopa etc. Recommend to watch Kannada with subtitles, but if you don’t prefer to read movies, the Telugu version is pretty good 

Kantara on OTT is strictly below average. Personal Opinion.

When I saw it on bigscreen, in original kannada language, I was stunned. Literally.

But on TV, it is just mehhh.

5 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Vikram probably didn't get that much hype due to Poor marketing....  It was an amazing plot & deserved a lot more success than it got. 

Vikram had one other flaw Kamals penchant to show heroism, he wanted a realistic story telling missed it a bit. Many screen play elements could have gone better it has kamals creative interference written all over it, but still enjoyable nostalgia. 

On 12/1/2022 at 4:25 PM, Vilander said:

Kgf is a mainstream masala movie well marketed, kantara is an art movie mixed with plenty of masala elements to make it marketable. Subtle difference.

I like Masala movies. Just didn’t enjoy KGF1. Turned off 50 mins in. Didn’t even watch KGF 2. sometimes a movie just doesn’t click with you even if others love it.

On 12/1/2022 at 11:24 AM, Lone Wolf said:

Vikram probably didn't get that much hype due to Poor marketing....  It was an amazing plot & deserved a lot more success than it got. 

Amazing first half, once Kamal’s char is revealed, director  lost the plot and went gung-ho on mindless violence and action and it went spirally down.