Jump to content
Indian Cricket Fans

Blue Tokai Coffee/ Sula wines


G_B_

Recommended Posts

Had some Blue Tokai coffee in Mumbai recently. As somebody who generally drinks Illy or Lavassa, it was as good as or better than both.

 

Its the same thing with Sula wines and the Nashik grape. As good as typical wines from Chile or French or Italy.

 

Amrut scotch is as smooth as something like Glendifich  I got a bottle back home.

 

Its good to see Indian brands improving their quality to match the west. India is yet to match the higher end spectrum. But the regular everyday indulgences of the west there is more than a match.

 

We need an Indian luxury goods house to match the likes of LV. This might need consolidation in the industry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did you make it yourself or have it in a cafe?

 

tokai curates a small but dependable selection of producers. I enjoy the thogarihunkal, vienna roast (esp for morning brews) and attikan estate, of course.

 

Besides there are many exciting new roasters who have come up in the past year. Specialty coffee is still in its infancy but there is no lack of choice.

here are some that we've tried recently or are still in transit...

 

https://www.subko.coffee/products/copy-of-project-seven-sisters-jampui-tripura-lot-1000-medium-jammy-hazelnut

https://kohiroasters.in/collections/frontpage/products/tribe-o-koraput?variant=undefined

https://silkroad.coffee/product/nagaland-coffee/

https://www.tulum.coffee/products/pulneys-100-organic-coffee

https://tribalcoffee.in/

https://greysoul.coffee/collections/coffee/products/koppathur-honey-process-light-med-profile

 

I usually stick to greens from a place in coorg but the new roasters are sourcing such great batches from all over the world as well as from different small producers in India that i'm having a blast trying them out.

 

I get the fresh roasted beans (within a week and use them up in a month). We scoop a handful everytime (7-32g or more with company), just enough for each coffee time, grind them on the conical grinder and load it into our trusty Gaggia for a perfect brew every time.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had it in Bandra. They have a outlet there. 

 

I also got a lot of it home as it was very cheap compared to what we have in the UK for Italian brands.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Prakat said:

Did you make it yourself or have it in a cafe?

 

tokai curates a small but dependable selection of producers. I enjoy the thogarihunkal, vienna roast (esp for morning brews) and attikan estate, of course.

 

Besides there are many exciting new roasters who have come up in the past year. Specialty coffee is still in its infancy but there is no lack of choice.

here are some that we've tried recently or are still in transit...

 

https://www.subko.coffee/products/copy-of-project-seven-sisters-jampui-tripura-lot-1000-medium-jammy-hazelnut

https://kohiroasters.in/collections/frontpage/products/tribe-o-koraput?variant=undefined

https://silkroad.coffee/product/nagaland-coffee/

https://www.tulum.coffee/products/pulneys-100-organic-coffee

https://tribalcoffee.in/

https://greysoul.coffee/collections/coffee/products/koppathur-honey-process-light-med-profile

 

I usually stick to greens from a place in coorg but the new roasters are sourcing such great batches from all over the world as well as from different small producers in India that i'm having a blast trying them out.

 

I get the fresh roasted beans (within a week and use them up in a month). We scoop a handful everytime (7-32g or more with company), just enough for each coffee time, grind them on the conical grinder and load it into our trusty Gaggia for a perfect brew every time.

 

 

the Vienna roast (i have this at home) is amazing...

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I never liked Sula. One time I was having lunch at an Indian restaurant in San Francisco. Sula was on the menu. I asked the waiter if he would recommend it and he flat out said no! Had a wine called Nandi Hills Shiraz one time in Pondicherry. It was quite good. People living in the west can consider taking up winemaking as a hobby as they have easy access to wine yeast, carboys, stoppers, fermentation buckets, barrels etc. There are even wine making kits with fruit juice and all you need to do is add yeast and water and let the wine ferment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/5/2023 at 11:00 PM, bharathh said:

Nothing beats a good filter coffee IMO.

+2357890976555

you can say that again. In Blore and Hyd currently. Had coffee of all sorts, nothing beats filter coffee. Sugarless is even better. A lot of Hatti. Kapi joints have vanished. Replaced by Chai Points :puke:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, coffee_rules said:

+2357890976555

you can say that again. In Blore and Hyd currently. Had coffee of all sorts, nothing beats filter coffee. Sugarless is even better. A lot of Hatti. Kapi joints have vanished. Replaced by Chai Points :puke:

Yea. Hatti Kaapi disappeared during Covid times. Darshinis are still around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/5/2023 at 5:21 PM, G_B_ said:

Had some Blue Tokai coffee in Mumbai recently. As somebody who generally drinks Illy or Lavassa, it was as good as or better than both.

 

Its the same thing with Sula wines and the Nashik grape. As good as typical wines from Chile or French or Italy.

 

Amrut scotch is as smooth as something like Glendifich  I got a bottle back home.

 

Its good to see Indian brands improving their quality to match the west. India is yet to match the higher end spectrum. But the regular everyday indulgences of the west there is more than a match.

 

We need an Indian luxury goods house to match the likes of LV. This might need consolidation in the industry.

Amrut and Rampur have been exquisite, even in US. Is it cheaper here or in the West? Should try out Indian wines, will take back some

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

i have heard some good things about their anaerobic macerated coffee form Ratnagiri.btw OP you should try Indian monsoon malabar if you have a Espresso machine ,it is so different and funky but in a good way.

 

Yes they are both lovely in their own ways. The monsoon malabar has an aroma unlike any other.

 

Here's one more that's been impressive - 

https://www.hatchcrafted.com/shop/product/4822848389_b'coffee-gems-of-araku-auction-lot-nano149-200g'

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...