Impact player - Rule and Player performance tracker

bowl_out

28 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

Questions:

If a batsman gets out, can he be replaced with another batsman?

If a bowler bowls out, can he be replaced with another bowler?

Yes to both … as there are no restrictions iirc. 

Since teams can announce their teams after the toss, impact player is likely to be come in the 2nd inning (unless there is a SOS situation in the first inning). 

The team that bats first will bring in a bowler in place of a batsman; while the team that bowls first, will bring in a batsman in place of a bowler. 

Therefore in the GT v CSK game, CSK brought in a bowler (Deshpande but CSK had the choice to bring in Simran Singh as well. And if CSK had left out Santner and played with 3 OS players, it would have had an option to bring in either Santner or someone like a Piterious, a pace bowler, in the 2nd inning). Similarly, GT would have liked to bring in an Abhinav Manohar to get some quick runs down the order if KW wasn’t injured. However, since KW got injured, GT brought in Sudarshan at 3. 

15 minutes ago, zen said:

Since teams can announce their teams after the toss, impact player is likely to be come in the 2nd inning (unless there is a SOS situation in the first inning). 

Correct. The SOS is typically if there is an injury or if they lose wickets in a heap and are at 5/3 in 4 overs

13 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

This idea of impact player is useless as we don't use that in the internationals.  We shouldn't deviate from international standard in a major way. It is fine adding things like using review for checking wide/checking noball. But this completely changes the dynamics.

Agree....this turns it into galli cricket. Uski mummy bula ri hai...uski jagah ab yeh khelega

Lets have some baby overs too....:lollypop:

The IPL impact player is a more generic option. That allows teams to basically choose either an extra batter or bowler either in the first half or the second.
The only thing is when u exercise that option, that’s it for the rest of the match.

Now here’s the thing.. it’s human nature to delay exercising that option as long as possible or closer to the ‘result’ stage. so yeah, unless it’s obviously going bad in the first half, most teams would opt for that option at the start of the second innings. 

Would be interesting to check that stat at the end of the tournament. I bet most people would use that in the second half. Probably in the first 10 overs of the second half. 

14 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

This idea of impact player is useless as we don't use that in the internationals.  We shouldn't deviate from international standard in a major way. It is fine adding things like using review for checking wide/checking noball. But this completely changes the dynamics.

Absolutely, it completely disregards the role of an all-rounder. Just deviates from the rules of the game. That’s one primary area of skill.. being good in both aspects of the game.

Is this the only ‘innovation’ these clowns could think off? 

15 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Yes it is crap .. everyone can balance their team without having good all rounders.

17 hours ago, bowl_out said:

Questions:

For the second, there was an article one son talking about it. So that’s allowed I think. The new bowler can still bowl his full quota based on that article. 

For the first, I’m guessing not. I think that player needs to be active at the time of substitution (even as a fielder). So I think u can replace a batter that’s already batting or probably someone who hasn’t batted yet.  
The reason I’m deducing this is because KKR just brought in Venkatesh for Varun C. They could have just substituted him with the batter who was dismissed otherwise. Also, if u substitute a dismissed batter, u effectively have 12 players in the line-up. So the opposition won’t know which batter is not available, although that’s not really a big deal as u still have 10 wickets only.

So yes there seems to be a bias in favor of bowlers in the implementation. For ex, if u replace a bowler that’s bowled out with another bowler, u aren’t compromising on your batters or other bowlers. Where as if you’re substituting a batter with a batter, u have to give up some bowling or batting option to get that. Less likely to be a factor probably if you’re batting in the second innings or substituting a batting option late in the first innings if you’re batting.. 

31 minutes ago, MK55 said:

For the second, there was an article one son talking about it. So that’s allowed I think. The new bowler can still bowl his full quota based on that article. 

For the first, I’m guessing not. I think that player needs to be active at the time of substitution (even as a fielder). So I think u can replace a batter that’s already batting or probably someone who hasn’t batted yet.  
The reason I’m deducing this is because KKR just brought in Venkatesh for Varun C. They could have just substituted him with the batter who was dismissed otherwise. Also, if u substitute a dismissed batter, u effectively have 12 players in the line-up. So the opposition won’t know which batter is not available, although that’s not really a big deal as u still have 10 wickets only.

So yes there seems to be a bias in favor of bowlers in the implementation. For ex, if u replace a bowler that’s bowled out with another bowler, u aren’t compromising on your batters or other bowlers. Where as if you’re substituting a batter with a batter, u have to give up some bowling or batting option to get that. Less likely to be a factor probably if you’re batting in the second innings or substituting a batting option late in the first innings if you’re batting.. 

Yeah. This part of the rule is very confusing. If one of my bowlers is bowled out or going for plenty, I can replace him with another bowler.

But if I am 20/4 in the fifth over while batting first, I can't substitute a batsman that is already dismissed with a new player. That looks like double standards 

8 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

Yeah. This part of the rule is very confusing. If one of my bowlers is bowled out or going for plenty, I can replace him with another bowler.

But if I am 20/4 in the fifth over while batting first, I can't substitute a batsman that is already dismissed with a new player. That looks like double standards 

Yeah. Still some confusion here though.

I think if you’re batting in the first innings, you can probably replace a dismissed batter as theoretically he’s still part of the game.

But really not sure if u can do that in the second innings. Or Else KKR’s impact player substitution makes no sense.

1 hour ago, bowl_out said:

The replacement bowler will only bowl remaining overs of replaced player. So bowled out is not possibility.

20 hours ago, bowl_out said:

Questions:

no to both logically

8 minutes ago, Lord said:

The replacement bowler will only bowl remaining overs of replaced player. So bowled out is not possibility.

U sure about that? There was an article on espn which was saying that’s totally allowed in this version of IPL’s ‘’impact” rule .

Can an Impact Player brought in by the bowling side bowl 4 overs?

Yes. Regardless of how many overs a player who has been replaced by the Impact Player has bowled, the Impact Player will be allowed to bowl his full quota of 4 overs. What this means is that teams can strategise such that they bowl out a bowler who is most effective in the power plays and then replace him with a bowler who can trouble batters in the death overs.

https://m.timesofindia.com/sports/cricket/ipl/top-stories/ipl-rule-recap-the-impact-player-rule/amp_articleshow/98936258.cms

The only restriction is that that guy who is replaced can’t play a further role obviously. The implicit restriction (I think) is that the guy who is replaced should be active in the match in some way or the other at the time of replacement. So I’m assuming u can’t replace is batter that’s already dismissed if you are batting in the second innings. But allowed in the first innings. Anyways the games should offer more clarity.

12 minutes ago, MK55 said:

Can an Impact Player brought in by the bowling side bowl 4 overs?

Yes. Regardless of how many overs a player who has been replaced by the Impact Player has bowled, the Impact Player will be allowed to bowl his full quota of 4 overs. What this means is that teams can strategise such that they bowl out a bowler who is most effective in the power plays and then replace him with a bowler who can trouble batters in the death overs.

https://m.timesofindia.com/sports/cricket/ipl/top-stories/ipl-rule-recap-the-impact-player-rule/amp_articleshow/98936258.cms

The only restriction is that that guy who is replaced can’t play a further role obviously. The implicit restriction (I think) is that the guy who is replaced should be active in the match in some way or the other at the time of replacement. So I’m assuming u can’t replace is batter that’s already dismissed if you are batting in the second innings. But allowed in the first innings. Anyways the games should offer more clarity.

Gowtham replaced an already dismissed Badoni. So maybe other is true too. Interesting