Ashwin opens up about being dropped in the WTC Final

1 minute ago, putrevus said:

You are talking in isolation. Two fast bowlers plus Thakur would not have worked. You cannot go into a match with just two fast bowlers in England.

You can go in with 4 fast bowlers when they are very high quality. Blindly going in with 4 same height, same type of  undercooked fast bowlers is useless. That too at the Oval which is known for assisting spinners.  None of the Australian players are going to quack in their boots against these bowlers. Siraj and Shami looked good. Thakur in patches. Umesh was a total waste. Just look at their career record against these players. Abysmal. Also 5 left handers. it is a no brainer. Carey and Starc were never going to score that many. Simple logic. Circling back to 2018 repeatedly ignoring his current form is a big mistake. I opposed Ashwin's selection for world T20, also was not in favor of 2 spinners WTC 2021 although it was Bumrah that sucked. But for this match should have been picked. Every single fast bowler that bowled in WTC final have an average close 40 or more against their top 8 batsmen.

47 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

You can go in with 4 fast bowlers when they are very high quality. Blindly going in with 4 same height, same type of  undercooked fast bowlers is useless. That too at the Oval which is known for assisting spinners.  None of the Australian players are going to quack in their boots against these bowlers. Siraj and Shami looked good. Thakur in patches. Umesh was a total waste. Just look at their career record against these players. Abysmal. Also 5 left handers. it is a no brainer. Carey and Starc were never going to score that many. Simple logic. Circling back to 2018 repeatedly ignoring his current form is a big mistake. I opposed Ashwin's selection for world T20, also was not in favor of 2 spinners WTC 2021 although it was Bumrah that sucked. But for this match should have been picked. Every single fast bowler that bowled in WTC final have an average close 40 or more against their top 8 batsmen.

MMQB is easy, Umesh picked up 7 wickets last time India won the test here.So I cannot blame them for picking Umesh.They had no other options.

10 minutes ago, putrevus said:

MMQB is easy, Umesh picked up 7 wickets last time India won the test here.So I cannot blame them for picking Umesh.They had no other options.

He picked against England not Australia. Its Ashwin who did well v Aus even in Aus in 2018-19 and 2020-21

2 hours ago, Lord said:

He picked against England not Australia. Its Ashwin who did well v Aus even in Aus in 2018-19 and 2020-21

Precisely Oval is a neutral ground for both teams. This blind "history study" is done only for bowlers not batsmen. or even Shami for that matter. Shami's average in England 44 or something when he played every single test and Ashwin sat out for all 4 tests. Even among pacers Bumrah is the only one all condition bowlers. Rest require some sort of help, some sort of zing, some pathetic batting line up to bowl to.  4 bowler theory worked when we had 4 good bowlers in good form One of them was Ishant.

Ashwin didn't talk as much as I expected him to, but he will let it rip in his tell-all (or maybe whine-all) book after retirement. look forward to his takes on bewda, brat, rohit, kela, etc

Edited by Vijy

However, tomorrow when I hang up my boots, the first thing I will regret is having been such a fine batter, I should have never become a bowler.

This perception I have constantly tried to fight, but there are different yardsticks for bowlers and batters. And there are different ways of treatment. I understand for the batter it is a one-ball game and they require the opportunity.

Simultaneously makes a dig on his exclusion and also continued selection of trimurti

Legend

15 minutes ago, Vijy said:

double dig. like I said, his autobiography will be entertaining, regardless of how people feel about him

Every time he opened a pandora's box it had an impact. The chuckers getting weeded out. Mankading dismissal. His point about batsmen getting preferential treatment is totally legit. Not just for himself. Also Axar/Kuldeep. KUldeep did absolutely nothing to be dropped next Test. Yet he was dropped. If Jadeja has slightly poorer batting skills he would have been dropped as well.  Even the fan clubs are only for batsmen. Not for bowlers. 

All ashwin ever does is complain.

He has not won us a single overseas tour single handedly.

Even his batting exploits are against minnows mostly.

This guy over estimates his own talent more than results show.

Even Axar and Jadeja out bowled him in Indian spin tracks.

He would have been cannon fodder. Ashwin bowls defensive lines the minute it gets tough.

Kuldeep is miles ahead of him and can bat just as good as him.

I wonder how Kuldeep must be feeling 

2 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Every time he opened a pandora's box it had an impact. The chuckers getting weeded out. Mankading dismissal. His point about batsmen getting preferential treatment is totally legit. Not just for himself. Also Axar/Kuldeep. KUldeep did absolutely nothing to be dropped next Test. Yet he was dropped. If Jadeja has slightly poorer batting skills he would have been dropped as well.  Even the fan clubs are only for batsmen. Not for bowlers. 

kuldeep has always gotten a rough deal, even more so than ash and jaddu. does not get to play home tests regularly (lack of cheap wkts), does not get extended run, etd

IMO, there was no nefarious intent on the part of RGS and RSD. Just incompetence.

They just misread the pitch, which had a good amount of grass on it on Day 1 and decided to slot in Umesh Yadav. In hindsight, that was a bad choice.

Even considering that Ashwin, like most spinners, is less effective in England than in Asia, he would've been a huge upgrade over Umesh.

Bottom line: Under-prepared, undercooked team management.

13 hours ago, BlueBlood said:

All ashwin ever does is complain.

He has not won us a single overseas tour single handedly.

Even his batting exploits are against minnows mostly.

This guy over estimates his own talent more than results show.

Even Axar and Jadeja out bowled him in Indian spin tracks.

He would have been cannon fodder. Ashwin bowls defensive lines the minute it gets tough.

Kuldeep is miles ahead of him and can bat just as good as him.

I wonder how Kuldeep must be feeling 

The continued exclusion of Kuldeep Yadav from test squads is the biggest selection mystery in all my years of watching cricket.  Baffling.

23 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

IMO, there was no nefarious intent on the part of RGS and RSD. Just incompetence.

They just misread the pitch, which had a good amount of grass on it on Day 1 and decided to slot in Umesh Yadav. In hindsight, that was a bad choice.

Even considering that Ashwin, like most spinners, is less effective in England than in Asia, he would've been a huge upgrade over Umesh.

Bottom line: Under-prepared, undercooked team management.

also under-brained

18 hours ago, Lord said:

It does not matter which team it was, Umesh was third seamer, if they did not like Umesh , they should have brought in Jaidev.

Umesh was not taking place of Ashwin. Thakur or Ashwin was the questiuon. Thakur would win all the time in England.

3 minutes ago, Adamant said:

After all these talks, Ashwin will be picked in our tour to SA again and then will be decimated.
I have seen this script unfold many times

But with Koolie or without koolie doesn't make a difference?does it?:wp23:

Waha ka bh script blockbuster  hai,hai na?

19 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

But with Koolie or without koolie doesn't make a difference?does it?:wp23:

Waha ka bh script blockbuster  hai,hai na?

Kohli averages 52 in SA with two centuries and averaged 40+ last tour, so I will give him a pass over a bowler who averages 40+ in SENA for his entire career with 0 fivers.

1 hour ago, Adamant said:

Kohli averages 52 in SA with two centuries and averaged 40+ last tour, so I will give him a pass over a bowler who averages 40+ in SENA for his entire career with 0 fivers.

Ashwin for me now with current state of our batting comes in because of his batting alone,infact I always favoured him being dropped for all matches against Eng in 2021

But current Kohli is just a journeyman in the side,it's better to drop him and Rohit and start to rebuild,with nothing to offer

It has to happen ,it will happen

They have to start the rebuilding, Kohli and co had all their chances.Nobody surivives being number 4 and  avg under 30 for 3 years.

He should have taken a break from IPL and all other whiteball cricket and gone back to FC cricket to revamp his career.

I supported Rohit as a captain but he again had all the chances, he needs to go as well.Dravid should be kept away from Indian team too at any cost.

But let us stop hyping the youngsters.Phalana will do this and phalana bowls faster than 150.