Ashwin opens up about being dropped in the WTC Final

Candid, thoughtful interview

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/r-ashwin-opens-up-on-the-wtc-drop-and-on-being-traumatised-in-the-past-8665087/

For me, it’s not a setback. It’s just a stumbling block, I’ll move on because I have gone through that. When somebody knocks you down for the first time, you have a knee-jerk reaction. I think you should be knocked down once in a while along your life so that you are used to it and will know how to bounce back. That’s what life is. Whether you are at your peak or not, it is still a set back. The fact that you need to learn how to deal with it is very important.

Do you tap on other cricketers for any help on the cricketing front or for a frank conversation?

It is a deep topic. This is an era where everybody is a colleague. Once upon a time when cricket was played, all your teammates were friends. Now, they’re colleagues. There’s a big difference because here people are there to advance themselves and to stride ahead of another person sitting to your right or left. So nobody’s got the time to say, ‘okay, boss what are you upto’?

In fact, I believe cricket gets better when you share it. It gets better when you when you understand another person’s technique and another person’s journey. But it doesn’t happen anywhere close to how much it must happen. Nobody will come for your help. It’s an isolated journey. Of course, you can reach any professional you want to, tap into some coach, you can pay and go, practice, try to feed of them and all that. But sometimes we forget that cricket is a very self-taught sport.

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

Nowadays bond is formed by how many players share the same sponsor. I think a major brand represents KL Rahul, Rohit, Kohli all 3. They look out for each other. But when it comes to one-on-one against each other they take care of themselves and move on. Being a captain gives you an immense advantage. You can project yourself the way you want to project. You can dilute someone's progress with strange captaincy moves. We will know when he retires.

19 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Nowadays bond is formed by how many players share the same sponsor. I think a major brand represents KL Rahul, Rohit, Kohli all 3. They look out for each other. But when it comes to one-on-one against each other they take care of themselves and move on. Being a captain gives you an immense advantage. You can project yourself the way you want to project. You can dilute someone's progress with strange captaincy moves. We will know when he retires.

What are selectors and coaches doing if these three look after themselves.

1 minute ago, putrevus said:

So you mean to say that selectors from last five years are in it. Why?

This is not new. THis was raised 15 years back when Sharad pawar was the president. If a company uses a cricketer for commercial they will want him to be part of the side. If they get kicked out they lose their brand value which will impact the company. Rohit endorses  15 to 20 brands. So he or the sponsors unleash PR campaign on social media. 

http://archive.indianexpress.com/news/board-has-received-sponsorinfluence-complaints-in-selection-says-pawar/29535/

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

This is not new. THis was raised 15 years back when Sharad pawar was the president. If a company uses a cricketer for commercial they will want him to be part of the side. If they get kicked out they lose their brand value which will impact the company. Rohit endorses  15 to 20 brands. So he or the sponsors unleash PR campaign on social media. 

http://archive.indianexpress.com/news/board-has-received-sponsorinfluence-complaints-in-selection-says-pawar/29535/

Random marketing question. Do brand sponsorships really help the brand? Unless it is for a product that specifically relates to the sportsperson or the sport. 

eg. Kohli being a brand ambassador for Puma makes sense. I can even understand Kohli being brand ambassador for Audi, Tissot etc (luxury image) or Fastrak, Pepsico (cool image).

But some of the brands have no connection to the image of the ambassador. 

Like Kohli in Herbalife or Vicks ads.. Or Rohit in Conekt Mobile accessories Ad or IIFL or JK Cement ads.

I am not going to buy any of these products because Kohli or Rohit endorses them nor does it have any influence on my perspective of the brand. I assume it is the same for an average person.  So, why would these brands spend so much on the most expensive ambassadors. Does it really work?

6 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Ashwin not playing the match had zero effect on end result. People need to stop living in lala land. Ashwin is not Murali even Murali would not have won the match.

You can't prove that given his success agianst Australians and Australia playing on a neutral ground. Australia has 5 lefties. Has  a wood over guys like Smith/ Head/Labu.  Among the bowlers we had with the squad Ashwin had the least average against that team averaging 29. Rest are 40/50. We have to stop putting everything in one basket. Based on past record none of the top order should be anywhere near the side.

3 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

You can't prove that given his success agianst Australians and Australia playing on a neutral ground. Australia has 5 lefties. Has  a wood over guys like Smith/ Head/Labu.  Among the bowlers we had with the squad Ashwin had the least average against that team averaging 29. Rest are 40/50. We have to stop putting everything in one basket. Based on past record none of the top order should be anywhere near the side.

No need to prove anything, how many 5fers he has against Australia away from India?

3 hours ago, bowl_out said:

Random marketing question. Do brand sponsorships really help the brand? Unless it is for a product that specifically relates to the sportsperson or the sport. 

eg. Kohli being a brand ambassador for Puma makes sense. I can even understand Kohli being brand ambassador for Audi, Tissot etc (luxury image) or Fastrak, Pepsico (cool image).

But some of the brands have no connection to the image of the ambassador. 

Like Kohli in Herbalife or Vicks ads.. Or Rohit in Conekt Mobile accessories Ad or IIFL or JK Cement ads.

I am not going to buy any of these products because Kohli or Rohit endorses them nor does it have any influence on my perspective of the brand. I assume it is the same for an average person.  So, why would these brands spend so much on the most expensive ambassadors. Does it really work?

In short yes. They spend billions on these ads and marketing for a reason. Just because you may not doesn't mean others won't/don't. They know how to manipulate the vast majority of people and their desires subconsciously. It's a discussion for a different time and place though.

25 minutes ago, rollingstoned said:

Comments on players only being colleagues hints at all not being well in the dressing room the way it comes across. 

He will spill everything in his book. So far he has not thrown anyone under the bus. He defend Dravid for taking a break. He even gave the reasons why he was probably excluded.  He was told 48 hours ago not after they saw the pitch as some said.  

37 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

He just needed to get rid of Smith/Head. That would have changed everything.  He doesn't need to take "fifers".

You are talking in isolation. Two fast bowlers plus Thakur would not have worked. You cannot go into a match with just two fast bowlers in England.

Edited by putrevus