Gukesh wins World Chess Candidates 2024. Becomes youngest ever contender for World Chess Championship crown.

rangeelaraja

7 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

I want it to reach at a level of Fischer vs Spassky hype....  Just imagine what would it do to the world of Chess. 

Millions will watch.  Indian media must play its part as well if the game happens to be in Chennai for eg...  Build up matters. 

IMG_20240423_140917.jpg

Though it would be unfair on Gukesh... As hype in that case &,  pressure might get to him or anyone who is so young. 

Don't think it is that kind of a rivalry.

Also Fischer was arrogant and The Soviets ( their chess set up and society in general) dogmatic. Made for a good back story. And then there was the cold war with a hot war in Vietnam and a space race going on. USA and USSR were equals of sorts.

Sadly, we are behind China on most development parameters. We will get there.

Gukesh and Ding are nice guys. Difficult to even dislike either.

Gukesh will improve vastly in the 6 months to the world championship. Ding wont. Gukesh should win this, IMO.

22 hours ago, Gollum said:

Nothing is easy. Ding is still the favorite especially if he regains his 2019-20 form, Gukesh is way too young. When Carlsen was 17 he too wasn't very stable. Gukesh will mature and peak in his early to mid 20s like most modern chess players.

18 hours ago, Vickydev said:

It won't be easy at all. Gukesh is a great tournament player because he almost always beats players he should beat where others drop points but a match is an entirely different proposition.

He will have hands full with Ding. And Ding played him off the board in Tata Chess event with black pieces. He is young so games like those can happen. It will be tight

You are both right... I was a bit carried away. However, I think it is a no-brainer that facing Ding on current form is a much better proposition for DG (gukesh) than some other players active at the moment (even excluding GOAT carlsen)

9 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Also Fischer was arrogant and The Soviets ( their chess set up and society in general) dogmatic. Made for a good back story. And then there was the cold war with a hot war in Vietnam and a space race going on. USA and USSR were equals of sorts.

Gukesh will improve vastly in the 6 months to the world championship. Ding wont. Gukesh should win this, IMO.

Aye, that's the optimism we need. Better to have hoped and lost than to never have hoped at all, eh @Gollum

10 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Of course won't reach that level but this makes a better backstory than other recent WCC matches. 

Edited by Gollum

On 4/23/2024 at 1:47 PM, vvvslaxman said:

Yes. Anand did. But i have to say one particular school in Chennai created this environment.

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/chess/indias-chess-factory-the-chennai-school-that-is-home-to-nearly-1-in-5-of-grandmasters-8909501/

Gukesh, Pragg all are from that school. Among the 29 from TN 15 are from one school

F4oNxp5boAAHedP?format=jpg&name=small

Hey man sorry for asking in the wrong thread but is this the current map of india??

Pak we know they are delusional but they have a different map. Chinese have their own version. Satellite one shows aksai chin is not part of our country and north Western part of ladakh is controlled by pOK? 

23 minutes ago, Kron said:

Hey man sorry for asking in the wrong thread but is this the current map of india??

Pak we know they are delusional but they have a different map. Chinese have their own version. Satellite one shows aksai chin is not part of our country and north Western part of ladakh is controlled by pOK? 

This is the map i always know of :)

46 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

This is the map i always know of :)

Pak disputes the upper West region though. They reckon its in their control. Also aksai chin and some part of arunachal is being dispute by chinks with small eyes. 

Not sure which is right lol

54 minutes ago, Kron said:

Pak we know they are delusional but they have a different map. Chinese have their own version. Satellite one shows aksai chin is not part of our country and north Western part of ladakh is controlled by pOK

Only for now. 

6 minutes ago, Kron said:

Pak disputes the upper West region though. They reckon its in their control. Also aksai chin and some part of arunachal is being dispute by chinks with small eyes. 

Not sure which is right lol

From US I reckon PoK is shown in Pakistan...  Aksai Chin in India.. Like Arunachal. 

I think that's the norm in every country 

Except Chinese show Entire JK as disputed excluding Aksai Chin which is in Xinjiang according to them and Arunachal in Tibet... 

2 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

From US I reckon PoK is shown in Pakistan...  Aksai Chin in India.. Like Arunachal. 

I think that's the norm in every country 

Except Chinese show Entire JK as disputed excluding Aksai Chin which is in Xinjiang according to them and Arunachal in Tibet... 

Oh ok. All nuclear power countries. So war doesn't bode well for any of us, especially Pakistan. 

Chinese thought they could win those border skirmishes l. Backfired badly last time 

People mention 1962 war

But they forget the second war which was fought a few years later which india won. 

But yea a full scale war between such highly populated countries will never end well for either of us. Chinese have the edge due to sheer numbers but it will be very close overall. 

26 minutes ago, Kron said:

Oh ok. All nuclear power countries. So war doesn't bode well for any of us, especially Pakistan. 

Chinese thought they could win those border skirmishes l. Backfired badly last time 

People mention 1962 war

But they forget the second war which was fought a few years later which india won. 

But yea a full scale war between such highly populated countries will never end well for either of us. Chinese have the edge due to sheer numbers but it will be very close overall. 

Nah Chinese have biggest advantage in the form of their very own military Industrial complex...  During war time they will prepare thousands of rocket artillery (we have only hundreds in number Pinakas only) and thousands of Medium range missiles...  Our jernails will run towards Muricans and Russians for supply which either they won't provide or not on sufficient numbers & costly af...  Which will drain us super fast.  

Gap is quite significant... Also we have limited fighter squadrons & air defenses. 

Our best Option is to limit it to only a border skirmish or adopt Pakistani strategy that we will use Nuclear attack on Beijing or Shanghai via our Long range missiles (as our small range ones will only land in Tibet unlike theirs) ...  To scare them away. 

Nukes are best deterrent for a reason. 

24 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Nah Chinese have biggest advantage in the form of their very own military Industrial complex...  During war time they will prepare thousands of rocket artillery (we have only hundreds in number Pinakas only) and thousands of Medium range missiles...  Our jernails will run towards Muricans and Russians for supply which either they won't provide or not on sufficient numbers & costly af...  Which will drain us super fast.  

Gap is quite significant... Also we have limited fighter squadrons & air defenses. 

Our best Option is to limit it to only a border skirmish or adopt Pakistani strategy that we will use Nuclear attack on Beijing or Shanghai via our Long range missiles (as our small range ones will only land in Tibet unlike theirs) ...  To scare them away. 

Nukes are best deterrent for a reason. 

Yea true. If it weren't for nukes we could annex pak easy. Not that we want to. 

Yea India's problem is we don't have our own weapons manufacturing plant. Thanks to the poms. 

We need the government corrupt as it is or a rich billionaire to develop a manufacturing plant that allows us to produce our own weapons of mass destruction. 

Then we can eclipse China. 

Yea I agree they are ahead of us because they have access to local manufacturing for military grade weapons. 

I just wanted to point out that the second battle, China did lose to India. It gets forgotten often. 

4 minutes ago, Kron said:

Yea true. If it weren't for nukes we could annex pak easy. Not that we want to. 

Yea India's problem is we don't have our own weapons manufacturing plant. Thanks to the poms. 

We need the government corrupt as it is or a rich billionaire to develop a manufacturing plant that allows us to produce our own weapons of mass destruction. 

Then we can eclipse China. 

Yea I agree they are ahead of us because they have access to local manufacturing for military grade weapons. 

I just wanted to point out that the second battle, China did lose to India. It gets forgotten often. 

It was not a battle but a border Skirmish...  Low grade Kargil conflict you can say.  Credit to Indira Gandhi who took the risk Tbh...  That 1967 skirmish led to the process to us securing Sikkim in 1970.

Also 1965 War when we invaded Pakistan for the first time & defying Americans and entire West was a big confidence boost.  Shattered Pakistani military which was highly rated back then and was more modernized thanks to Americans and Arab money + tech supplies. 

My Grandfather's elder brother fought in that war...  They went behind enemy lines near Sialkot.  That's the farthest Indian military has ever gone since independence. 

Pakistan celebrates that war as defense day as they believe they repulsed Indian advance into Lahore and Sialkot...  But in reality Indian army needed 48 hours max to reclaim both cities... But American pressure was way too much to deal with.. And forced a ceasefire. 

23 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

It was not a battle but a border Skirmish...  Low grade Kargil conflict you can say.  Credit to Indira Gandhi who took the risk Tbh...  That 1967 skirmish led to the process to us securing Sikkim in 1970.

Also 1965 War when we invaded Pakistan for the first time & defying Americans and entire West was a big confidence boost.  Shattered Pakistani military which was highly rated back then and was more modernized thanks to Americans and Arab money + tech supplies. 

My Grandfather's elder brother fought in that war...  They went behind enemy lines near Sialkot.  That's the farthest Indian military has ever gone since independence. 

Pakistan celebrates that war as defense day as they believe they repulsed Indian advance into Lahore and Sialkot...  But in reality Indian army needed 48 hours max to reclaim both cities... But American pressure was way too much to deal with.. And forced a ceasefire. 

My uncle was a air force pilot. Dint fight in war but yea I always liked listening to his stories.

24 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Also Pakistan have never won any war vs us lol. They think they won but yea reality says otherwise. They lost all 3 pretty badly. 

1 minute ago, Kron said:

Also Pakistan have never won any war vs us lol. They think they won but yea reality says otherwise. They lost all 3 pretty badly. 

65 was a close call but India invading Pakistani Punjab clinched it for us. 

1971 we annihilated them

99 defended Kargil but at high costs...  Vajpayee to blame..  Needed someone like Indira Gandhi to give them a proper response.  He ordered troops to not cross LoC...  Bitten by Aman ki asha that guy. 

22 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

65 was a close call but India invading Pakistani Punjab clinched it for us. 

1971 we annihilated them

99 defended Kargil but at high costs...  Vajpayee to blame..  Needed someone like Indira Gandhi to give them a proper response.  He ordered troops to not cross LoC...  Bitten by Aman ki asha that guy. 

So basically 3 0