Kuldeep.. bow down

gakgupta

What a sight...

There are few things I like in cricket..

Genuine pace bowling ( like bumrah, Cummings) 

Quality batting in testing conditions..

Wrist spinners who actually spin the bowl...

Yesterday..I got to see the first and last...

I have seen bumrah bowl well earlier ... it was good but surprising...

What surprised me was kuldeep...rip, turn and dip ... it was a good sight... he has been doing it for a while now and he reaped rewards yeterday and it was long due...

Pakistan team is a very good team against wrist spinners and to get 5 wickets against them and that too in an ODI is no easy task...

He is my MOM

As much as I'm excited with KY's success, I'm equally worried about lack of such prospects in domestic cricket. Most of the promising ones are flat, quick LAS except Saurabh Kumar. Do we actually have a attacking leggie or offie which is more in the traditional mold like KY & look to take wickets via deception in flight & length? 

Honestly I don't want him to play all games in meaningless bilaterals as batters might get enough practice against him & reduce his effectiveness over time. 

As much as I'm excited with KY's success, I'm equally worried about lack of such prospects in domestic cricket. Most of the promising ones are flat, quick LAS except Saurabh Kumar. Do we actually have a attacking leggie or offie which is more in the traditional mold like KY & look to take wickets via deception in flight & length? 

Honestly I don't want him to play all games in meaningless bilaterals as batters might get enough practice against him & reduce his effectiveness over time. 

26 minutes ago, ShanS said:

For Leggies, we have Rahul Chahar & Mayank Markande..

For Offies, sadly none..only Washington is there. Jalaj Saxena is old now. Off Spin is becoming a dying art or no one cares about it.

SLA..there are plenty..Manav Suthar, Nishant Sindhu, R Sai Kishore.

1 hour ago, singhvivek141 said:

For Leggies, we have Rahul Chahar & Mayank Markande..

For Offies, sadly none..only Washington is there. Jalaj Saxena is old now. Off Spin is becoming a dying art or no one cares about it.

SLA..there are plenty..Manav Suthar, Nishant Sindhu, R Sai Kishore.

Why do you think Jadeja is not having the same success in whiteball cricket.

5 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Why do you think Jadeja is not having the same success in whiteball cricket.

I think the reason behind is because Jadeja can't spin the ball, just like Kumble, Washington or Axar, unless pitch helps him.

For ex..Saurabh Kumar spins the ball, Manav Suthar spins the ball..

When the bowler is limited by this ability, there are only 2 ways to deceive the batter

1. either vary through pace..

or

2. have a vertical variation.

Jadeja isn't very tall so he don't have the latter (R Sai Kishore is tall hence he is able to deceive the batters if the pitch has uneven bounce). Hence he has very limited tricks in his repitoire.

One more thing which goes against Jaddu is he's not a very brave bowler. Bowlers like Ramesh Powar used to toss the ball a lot, jaddu doesn't do that..he is a defensive bowler in general and relies more on being economical rather going for wickets. That's a pattern which Dhoni understood very early, hence he used Jaddu specifically when Opposition were at backfoot..to skip in overs quickly and choke the RR.

An issue with Indian bowlers is “cracking under pressure”. They do well in bilaterals and maybe in group games of a tournament but tend to go missing when it matters the most. 

We have seen that with Bumrah on many occassions where he looks ordinary under pressure. Delivering under high pressure is the test that Kuldeep would need to pass. 

1 hour ago, singhvivek141 said:

I think the reason behind is because Jadeja can't spin the ball, just like Kumble, Washington or Axar, unless pitch helps him.

For ex..Saurabh Kumar spins the ball, Manav Suthar spins the ball..

When the bowler is limited by this ability, there are only 2 ways to deceive the batter

1. either vary through pace..

or

2. have a vertical variation.

Jadeja isn't very tall so he don't have the latter (R Sai Kishore is tall hence he is able to deceive the batters if the pitch has uneven bounce). Hence he has very limited tricks in his repitoire.

One more thing which goes against Jaddu is he's not a very brave bowler. Bowlers like Ramesh Powar used to toss the ball a lot, jaddu doesn't do that..he is a defensive bowler in general and relies more on being economical rather going for wickets. That's a pattern which Dhoni understood very early, hence he used Jaddu specifically when Opposition were at backfoot..to skip in overs quickly and choke the RR.

Shakib does not turn the ball much either. But he has been far better than Jadeja in whiteball cricket.

Axar is tall but he also has stunk in whiteball cricket.

Dhoni's use of Jadeja cost us one world t20 both with bat and ball. Dhoni has choice with CSK so he can skip him. India cannot do it.

I agree with you Jadeja is not brave to toss the ball up.Yesterday was prime example for him to slowdown and use flight.

55 minutes ago, gattaca said:

The revs on the ball are Amazing. Selectors were stupid to not play him before. If someone produces so many revs on the ball they should automatically selected but Kohli had RCB interests at heart before.

more than the revs i feel he is bowling the correct lengths.we should dump axar in the Test team and the trio of Kuldeep,jadeja and Ashwin is not even fair to any team.

I just hope Indian TM does not depend solely on him or on spin to win the Cup. Spinners will get hit from time to time. Too much responsibility on a spinner to expect such performances every match. Bowling very well though - mastering that odd skidder to keep batsmen quiet has made him a completely different bowler