Cricket officially makes it to the Olympics

the don

4 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Great chance for Pak to end its Olympic medal drought, at least a bronze. Their last medal was way back in 1992!!!!

But then they finished 4th in Asian Games .

In t20 they definitely will.

Its interesting how this affects the Westindies. 
They would have to tum up representing their Islands, more like CPL for them with diff teams for Jamaica etc.

26 minutes ago, the don said:

With a world event every year and now the Olympics. This should mark the end of bilaterals i think.

Nope, Ashes & then Ind/Oz, for me, would still be the most riveting contest out there! You just can't replicate a 4/5 test series drama, obviously between competitive teams, any where else & that includes the WC. Now admittedly fewer & fewer people tune in to tests regularly but you can't compare the quality of test cricket with T20 or extended T20's aka ODI these days. As far as I'm concerned the useless leagues around the world have killed my interest in cricket to a large extent.

Edited by R!TTER
1 minute ago, R!TTER said:

Nope, Ashes & then Ind/Oz, for me, would still be the most riveting contest out there! You just can't replicate a 4/5 test series drama, obviously between competitive teams, any where lese & that includes the WC. Now admittedly few & fewer people tune in to tests regularly but you can't compare the quality of test cricket with T20 or extended T20's aka ODI these days. As far as I'm concerned the useless leagues around the world have killed my interest in cricket to a large extent.

Yess Test cricket should continue. ODI bilaterals should be history or maybe bring back triangulars.

I don't think its necessarily a good thing for Indian (non cricket) sports, whose trajectory has been on a rise for a while.

Cricket gets far too much attention and mind space as is. The Olympics is an once in 4 year event where the focus of the fans should be on the other lesser known athletes. Their struggle is just as much as that of the cricketers. If not more.

The Olympics will be like a T20 WC. How many of us would watch or appreciate Neeraj Chopra if the T20WC were running in parallel?

Its like that occasion where I decked up in some of my finest and went to my cousins wedding. And stole her thunder. Its just wrong.

Another factor is that the cricketers are superstars, and can be full of themselves. Imagine a Kohli/Gill/Kishan strutting around in the athletes village with the rest of the athletes. They will all make a beeline for autographs etc. The media focus will be on the superstars. Kind of vitiates the atmosphere.

7 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

I don't think its necessarily a good thing for Indian (non cricket) sports, whose trajectory has been on a rise for a while.

Cricket gets far too much attention and mind space as is. The Olympics is an once in 4 year event where the focus of the fans should be on the other lesser known athletes. Their struggle is just as much as that of the cricketers. If not more.

The Olympics will be like a T20 WC. How many of us would watch or appreciate Neeraj Chopra if the T20WC were running in parallel?

Its like that occasion where I decked up in some of my finest and went to my cousins wedding. And stole her thunder. Its just wrong.

Another factor is that the cricketers are superstars, and can be full of themselves. Imagine a Kohli/Gill/Kishan strutting around in the athletes village with the rest of the athletes. They will all make a beeline for autographs etc. The media focus will be on the superstars. Kind of vitiates the atmosphere.

Agreed thankfully none of Kohli Rohit would be there in 2028.

Likes of Gill Kishan Tilak might be mainstays. 

I hope we send a young squad like we did in Asian Games. 

1 minute ago, Lone Wolf said:

Agreed thankfully none of Kohli Rohit would be there in 2028.

Likes of Gill Kishan Tilak might be mainstays. 

I hope we send a young squad like we did in Asian Games. 

Not sure about that.

Think of it from a PCB ( or Bangladesh board) POV. This would be their only chance at a medal. They will send their best. So the others will have to follow suit to compete etc.