Rachin Ravindra vs Washington Sundar

maniac

55 minutes ago, Lord said:

I didn't mean only top order. Even at 6-7 he's lacked the power.

Perfect for Tests, but needs work for LOIs.

After WC he'll surely get more chances injury permitting.

Batting a 6/7 is very different than batting in the top order. Much ballyhooed Rachin has failed many times batting lower down the order also. 

Washington Sundar is a 3 format batting prospect who has proven himself at the highest (test) level with the bat - scoring crucial runs in Gabba, and a great century on a challenging track - both innings coming at times where Indian team was desperately depending on him doing well.  

To make blanket statements about his quality based on one-off batting chances in whiteball cricket is plain foolish.  

Now has he had issues with fitness? undeniably.  But he has most definitely not had a proper run.  And given the fact that he offers India an option after a decade of waiting - a top order left-handed batsman who can be a genuine bowling option - he most definitely is deserving of a proper run.

Along with Umraan, Sundar should be getting a 10 ODI run after the WC.  I believe ODI is the best format to groom Umraan into our version of Lockie Ferguson/Nortje.  Not T20 or tests.  But he will need 10-15 ODIs if not more to get there.  I think Sundar will demonstrate his class and ability in an even shorter run - provided he's given 5+ ODIs to bat in the top 4.  

13 minutes ago, putrevus said:

He has good temperament for number 7 or 8 .But his bowling is not good enough to command a place in the team even in India.

He's a batsman first. Should move up the order. 

3 fifties in 6 innings is no joke.

12 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Batting a 6/7 is very different than batting in the top order. Much ballyhooed Rachin has failed many times batting lower down the order also. 

Washington Sundar is a 3 format batting prospect who has proven himself at the highest (test) level with the bat - scoring crucial runs in Gabba, and a great century on a challenging track - both innings coming at times where Indian team was desperately depending on him doing well.  

To make blanket statements about his quality based on one-off batting chances in whiteball cricket is plain foolish.  

Now has he had issues with fitness? undeniably.  But he has most definitely not had a proper run.  And given the fact that he offers India an option after a decade of waiting - a top order left-handed batsman who can be a genuine bowling option - he most definitely is deserving of a proper run.

Along with Umraan, Sundar should be getting a 10 ODI run after the WC.  I believe ODI is the best format to groom Umraan into our version of Lockie Ferguson/Nortje.  Not T20 or tests.  But he will need 10-15 ODIs if not more to get there.  I think Sundar will demonstrate his class and ability in an even shorter run - provided he's given 5+ ODIs to bat in the top 4.  

Sundar is a far greater batting talent than bowling talent.  His batting talent was not fully developed just like Irfan Pathan. 

He has shots, timing and an ability to

find gaps. 

12 minutes ago, sandeep said:

As I said he's been in great in Tests.

However he's not a LOI as of now. Might improve later on, but not there yet. Even in IPL etc we see this.Great technique and temperament but just not big hitting ability. It's not a big deal and can easily be worked upon. 

I'm as excited about him as you are and want his injuries to stop. Agree he should be given a long run after WC especially at 5.

I was actually surprised Ashwin was chosen ahead of him for the WC.

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

I don’t think so, he is not a top order batsman for his own local Ranji team.

india has 100 better batsmen for top order than this guy.

just like Pandya isn't an allrounder etc etc. 

Your strength in sticking to your guns on your "opinions" well past the point where they're proven wrong is admirable. 

13 minutes ago, sandeep said:

just like Pandya isn't an allrounder etc etc. 

Your strength in sticking to your guns on your "opinions" well past the point where they're proven wrong is admirable. 

Pandya is not great player by any means , so stop trying to make him into something he is not, as we have seen Indian can win without him with utmost ease.

I am always happy to be proven wrong but as we know once your bits and pieces player Pandya was let go from test team. Test team became better overnight.

Pandya is needed in white ball cricket as top order are one dimensional otherwise he never was nor ever will be a difference between India winning or losing any important match.

Sundar is more of bits and pieces players who never will be a regular test player.

Sorry stop hyping Pandya every chance you get , it is getting old.

Edited by putrevus

No comparison here- Rachin is a batter who bowls and has started well in ODI carrier.

Not sure why Sundar rated so highly on this forum- He can not bowl 10 overs, batting is not, not a proper batter or a hitter who can be used down the order.

Fielding - think he is amongst slowest movers amongst the new players  

On 10/31/2023 at 5:11 PM, tapandrun said:

No comparison here- Rachin is a batter who bowls and has started well in ODI carrier.

Not sure why Sundar rated so highly on this forum- He can not bowl 10 overs, batting is not, not a proper batter or a hitter who can be used down the order.

Fielding - think he is amongst slowest movers amongst the new players  

more for his test potential than for ODIs. and note I use the word "potential", and not exploits, because they are limited.