Spin allrounders in contention for next 3 Tests

India has long dominated in home Tests because of the long line of finger spin allrounders who not only offer wicket taking threat but also add incredible batting depth. 

But the real problem with Jadeja and even more so with Axar is that while they are fast and accurate ,  they are effective on fast turners where their arm ball becomes a threat as well.

On the pitches we have seen in this series ,  there is not much of that, and Bazball won't allow bowlers to keep it tight on flattish pitches.

Jadeja has a strike rate around 55 in domestic. 

Axar has a strike rate over 60.

Since run control is tough against England on flattish pitches, I believe we need spinners with lower strike rates to peg England back with wicket taking ability

Here are the candidates 

Saurabh Kumar - 290 wickets , bowling average -24

Bowling strike rate of 53

Batting average of 27

Shahbaz Nadeem

Bowling strike rate of 63

Batting average of 15

Manav Suthar (not much experience)

Bowling strike rate of 45

Batting average of 35

Saransh Jain 

Bowling strike rate of 51

Batting average of 29.44

Shahbaz Ahmed 

Bowling strike rate of 46.7

Batting average of 42

Shams Mulani

Bowling strike rate of 43.4

Batting average of 33.26

Who do you think would add most value to this side? 

31 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Bowling averages are more important than bowling strike rates as test matches are won by scoring more runs than the opponent.

Bowling averages of most of these bowlers is pretty similar in domestic.

Regardless, who would you rather have from amongst these names.   Bumrah cant keep doing everything alone.

1 hour ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Who do you think would add most value to this side? 

Saurabh Kumar, Dharmendra Sinh Jadeja are the ones if we're looking for batting ability as well along with experience.

Manav Suthar & Nishant Sindhu are young but super talented lads...not sure if our board will take a punt on them.

5 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Bowling averages of most of these bowlers is pretty similar in domestic.

Regardless, who would you rather have from amongst these names.   Bumrah cant keep doing everything alone.

We already have 2 spin-all-rounders playing. I want Kuldeep as the 3rd spinner.

And we can groom Manav Suthar.

He looks to be the most dangerous bowler amoung the uncapped lot and averages 22 with the ball and 35 with the bat after 11 FC matches.

4 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

Saurabh Kumar, Dharmendra Sinh Jadeja are the ones if we're looking for batting ability as well along with experience.

Manav Suthar & Nishant Sindhu are young but super talented lads...not sure if our board will take a punt on them.

Bro, why not Shams Mulani? Did well against Lions as well. And has good FC numbers

Dharmendra and and Saurabh are 30 +  . Shams is 27 and would be a better long term investment no?

I agree it might be too early for Manav but Jadeja himself started his Test career at 24!

3 minutes ago, express bowling said:

We already have 2 spin-all-rounders playing. I want Kuldeep as the 3rd spinner.

And we can groom Manav Suthar.

He looks to be the most dangerous bowler amoung the uncapped lot and averages 22 with the ball and 35 with the bat after 11 FC matches.

We need one more to cover for Mukesh.  Also, if pitches stay the same, we'll have to replace Axar as well

Edited by Nikhil_cric
5 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Bro, why not Shams Mulani? Did well against Lions as well. And has good FC numbers

Dharmendra and and Saurabh are 30 +  . Shams is 27 and would be a better long term investment no?

I agree it might be too early for Manav but Jadeja himself started his Test career at 24!

Whatever I have seen of Mulani, never find him impressive.

He is accurate and can bowl long spells, but I feel he lacks what is needed to perform at this level. He is also short in height.

Dharmendra is taller and gets good bounce, plus he bowls often on the roads of Rajkot so he is used to non helpful conditions.

9 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

We need one more to cover for Mukesh.  Also, if pitches stay the same, we'll have to replace Axar as well

On current form (& the way our staff is operating) Akashdeep is the best replacement for Mukesh. He is faster, taller, more athletic and can bat as well...an improvement over Mukesh in terms of everything.

4 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Saurabh and Sams are th eonly two contenders. Others are too raw at this level. But we have a lot coming through.  Sai Kishore is another potential guy. He can bat as well decently. 

Deliberately left out Sai because I think he should be playing white ball cricket for India. 

1 minute ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Deliberately left out Sai because I think he should be playing white ball cricket for India. 

He has picked 27 wicket sin 5 matches at 18 this season so far. Kumar Karthikey is another option. Done well this season. Sai is 27. Kumar is 26.  Reasonably younger

1 minute ago, vvvslaxman said:

He has picked 27 wicket sin 5 matches at 18 this season so far. Kumar Karthikey is another option. Done well this season. Sai is 27. Kumar is 26.  Reasonably younger

I think Sai should be given a go in T20I s and ODIs. 

I'm surprised that nobody rates him in T20. 

He might good in long format too but I don't think he's exceptional there compared to others. 

Also, I think we should really split the formats a bit more .  

50 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

If we keep getting pitches like the first 2 tests then we need 2 competent pacers.

We need to replace Mukesh with another pacer. Get in Akashdeep who can extract much more life out of these pitches.

Knowing this management, they won't drop Axar unless he is injured. And don't think Sourabh Kumar is an upgrade over him.

Haven't seen Mulani bowl that much. But Suthar's bowling looks penetrative.

Edited by express bowling
21 minutes ago, express bowling said:

If we keep getting pitches like the first 2 tests then we need 2 competent pacers.

We need to replace Mukesh with another pacer. Get in Akashdeep who can extract much more life out of these pitches.

Knowing this management, they won't drop Axar unless he is injured. And don't think Sourabh Kumar is an upgrade over him.

Haven't seen Mulani bowl that much. But Suthar's bowling looks penetrative.

I want them to take a chance on Manav Suthar but no Indian management (let alone this one under Rohit) will allow a 21 year old to bowl to these Bazballers. 

3 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

But the real problem with Jadeja and even more so with Axar is that while they are fast and accurate

Nope I've posted this several times now - Jadeja is our best bowler on dead/flat tracks in the last decade, the only bowler who's probably more lethal is Shami & he's played less than half of those games!