What a commie

8 hours ago, G_B_ said:

Commentary max people should do for 3 to 4 years.

Most people become stale. Few can remain fresh past that.

Harsha may be due to complex doesn't talk about technical aspects of cricket. When an event happens you have to talk about that event. Heck even bazid khan described the six by Kohli better than Harsha. He is a noob commie. This guy was "out of the ground" "down the ground".  These kind of magic things happen suddenly. He doesn't know what to say. He says things like this. He should never do commentary. So should Manjrekar.

17 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Bhojpuriya is fun but passion is more evident in Punjabi commentary.  Even Hindi commentary under capable commentators would be unmatchable. 

You need people who think and then express themselves in Hindi rather than those who are just trying to translate what they're thinking in English to Hindi when they speak for that. There's quite a difference between the 2 and you can tell on air. 

I enjoyed kaif and Pathans commentary on air during the wc. 

12 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

In any case, Bhogle desperately tries to sound like he grew up in South Africa. Annoying.

He tries to be 'familiar' with pretty much anyone he is commentating with which just makes it cringe and awkward when you add his rank sense of humour into the mix. Probably trying to overcompensate for his lack of a cricketing career which just isn't needed. 

41 minutes ago, rollingstoned said:

You need people who think and then express themselves in Hindi rather than those who are just trying to translate what they're thinking in English to Hindi when they speak for that. There's quite a difference between the 2 and you can tell on air. 

I enjoyed kaif and Pathans commentary on air during the wc. 

Yes Kaif comes with ठेठ Kanpuriya Allahabadiya accent,the most rowdy accent in India,which automatically engages people and the masses

Note Harsha well as an example of what happens when your skills, and what you being to the table get bypassed by time and events. As we get older it will happen to most of not all of us.

Back in the day fluent English, and an engaging personality were enough to get you commenting gigs in India. The former cricketers who commented were not as verbose or descriptive. So Harsha stood out.  Of course I am sure he must have worked very hard to get there. 

But today the Indian audience is more sophisticated, demanding. Former cricketers too have upped their commentating standards. 

What does Harsha have to offer that’s different?  He hasn’t played the same at any level to make him

an expert, so why should audiences listen to him for insights?  He himself seems to lack confidence to make original analyses or observations when  the company of his ex - cricketer  colleagues. 

Apart from a cheery style, which you may or may not like, his commentary does not have the wordplay or descriptive power that would add value to what you’re seeing on TV. 

As I said I am sure he works hard, and I dont say he didn’t deserve his early successes, but I for one find it difficult to listen to him. 

Edited by NameGoesHere