Suresh Raina

I backed Rohit Sharma over Suresh Raina and Raina has proved me dead wrong. Raina gives the impression that he somehow, understands better than any other batsman, the art of choosing when to attack and when to defend in an ODI match. Whenever he defends and plays a few dot balls, it never feels like he is wasting time or letting go off momentum. Whenever he puts his foot down and attacks, it does not seem like he is taking a risk not worth of the current match situation. That is a talent not many batsman have.

I backed Rohit Sharma over Suresh Raina and Raina has proved me dead wrong. Raina gives the impression that he somehow, understands better than any other batsman, the art of choosing when to attack and when to defend in an ODI match. Whenever he defends and plays a few dot balls, it never feels like he is wasting time or letting go off momentum. Whenever he puts his foot down and attacks, it does not seem like he is taking a risk not worth of the current match situation. That is a talent not many batsman have.
yes your are right, i am seeing him since 2004 U-19 world cup and he has progressed well now

whatever he touched with his bat flowed smoothly.........this does not happen everyday....he played brilliantly but it can not happen everytime he comes to bat......he is a gr8 talent and is now gaining with experience what shots to play and what not to play from others

raina has some probs facing short pitched balls that is fired on the pitch @ 140+ for example jp duminy was made to face 140 + balls from siddle and mitchell johnson dugged in short on the ribs.....thats incredibly tuff to face and m sure raina will face sum problems too....but when it comes fuller or @ gud length....he is a true player hes a class act he drives,steers,flicks,whips,sweeps,slogs,cuts,punches,glances and even short arm jabs beautifully.....with such gud talent one mistake @ pulling the ball is forgiven.....as a whole he is a fabulous player

n he has a clever brain n a great temperament to use that talent.Rohit is also talented but doesnt seem to use it well enuf
yes u are absolutely rite even rohit has got loads of potential but he does not reflect that in his performance bcoz he is not mentally tuff to face pressure but no doubt he is a very gud cricketer and will do very well in all sorts of conditions in future

Raina has played well but I couldn't understand the way NZ bowled at him. They didn't test him really with short pitched stuff which has been his weakeness. Hopefully they'll do that in the next few ODIs so that he can get good practice against bouncers and short pitched deliveries.

Test Squad: Mahendra Singh Dhoni (captain), Virender Sehwag (vice-captain), Gautam Gambhir, Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, V.V.S. Laxman, Yuvraj Singh, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Ishant Sharma, Munaf Patel, Murali Vijay, Amit Mishra, L. Balaji, Dhawal Kulkarni, Dinesh Karthik.
Should Suresh Raina stay with the squad for NZ Test series as a backup (reserve in case if any injury to the main 11 during Test series). I know we have M. Vijay as backup opener But who is in the NZ test squad as backup middle or lower middle order batsman? KKD!?? No one - so given that Raina already has got the measure of NZ weather and bowlers to some extent, maybe we can retain him till Test series is over?

Raina doesn't get into good positions while playing hook or pull. Vijay did very well. But he was not in absolutely control though. You have to get inside the line of the ball not hit from where you stand. Dhoni does well. Yuvi also doesn't get inside the line. But his height allows him to play without moving. Raina has to develop this aspect of his game. An otherwise talented guy should overcome this weakness to find a place in the Test XI as well.