Dhoni's knock today

It was not a great innings but a very good innings. He needed to get accustomed to the place, and his record at #3 is amazing. He scored at a S/R of 94 but people are not happy. True he struggled at the beginning of his innings but later due to the partnerships with Sehwag, Raina, and later Yusuf, he came into his own and started running excellent singles/doubles. Very good knock. Not sure why not many feel that way but whatever. He did what was required of him.

dhoni played a good innings the problem with india in the T20s was that we kept losing wickets and there were no significant partnerships he managed a solution to it, so way to go, yem yes dhoni:two_thumbs_up:
I WOULD HAVE AGREED if we would have lost some early wickets.then we needed a partnership.we needed partnership in the 2 t20s.today we had a great start n we needed someone to maintain the flow for a while n then up the ante later.when Dhoni came in 290 or even 300 looked posible.we managed 270 that too after a blistering knock from raina.

I think he should have sent Gambhir or Raina for that matter as first down after Tendulkars wicket since Raina was in red hot form after playing a good knock in one of the 2020s and he himself never looked in rhythm after that 2nd twenty20. but Kudoz to him that he had confidence in himself and came up the order to bat alongside sehwag. but i still believe Gambhir or Raina should have been there. after 2 Righties on top, a left should have been sent in to make life more miserable for the kiwis on the field

in the context of the series it was a good knock. the man is clearly out of form and clearly needs to find form if India are to do well -- he was missing cut shots off vettori and tangling himself up in his pads looking to work balls for singles. I think the "average/poor innings" comments come from the frustration of watching Dhoni's ham-handed approach compared to the fluency of Sehwag or Raina. Yuvi too looks a little out of sorts. I hope this innings provides some measure of confidence to him.

An important fact everyone keeps forgetting; Cricket is a team game played by a collective group of 11 cricketers and an individual game played 11 different cricketers. It doesn’t matter what the average or the SR of a player reads in a scorecard, what matters is the result he helped to achieve. Dhoni is the lynch-pin of the middle order around which more forceful and effective power-players flourish. Its an undeniable fact that his attacking prowess have waned in the last few months, but he compensates for it by superior game awareness and mature handling of game circumstances.

"Lucky" Dhoni!!!! to get MoM. Average performance, pitch has nothing to offer to bowlers, so he promoted himself up and played a "captain's" Innings. I feel sorry for Gambir. 2 failures and suddenly dropped down to... I wonder why Nohit Sharma given same treatment. Yusuf played a wonderful short burst to score 21 off 10 balls. MoM should be Raina.

I can't fail but laugh at the posts above. Seriously... Phaast...Phaast WTF? Like I predicted and hoped for in the 1st ODI thread, he brought himself to #3, the perfect position for someone of his skill to play. If you notice, during the whole "Mendis Mania" in SL, it was only Sehwag who scored runs, no one else but Dhoni could tackle them. Sehwag doesn't last more than 15 overs. So with him gone our "hitters" were falling like a pack of cards. Cricket is about strategy and I'm damn glad we finally have a captain who utilizes it. We have hitters in: Sehwag, Raina, Yuvi and Yusuf. Even Gambhir who was supposed to be playing an anchor role is out of form. Next you have Sachin who's not been lucky or adapting to the fast-paced environment these days. So the only two who really can be sheet anchors are Gambhir and Dhoni. Is that so hard to understand? If Dhoni were to change his game to be a hitter, I'd guarantee our scores will be something like 165/5 or something almost every game with Yusuf and Raina struggling to build a partnership, or someone like Bhajji or Irfan having to play the remaining 15-20 overs. Just because he's playing a "boring" and "slow" innings doesn't mean it's not important. In the context of the game, Yuvraj the man in form got out quickly, Sehwag and Sachin were gone. Who could we count on? Raina is in form but hasn't scored a century in recent memory, Yusuf we all know can't stick in there for long. We didn't even have Irfan to nudge the ball and give strike. It's pathetic to see fellow Indian fans acting like the Pakis who want everyone in their team to play like Afridi. Great talent and ability without strategy = Bangladesh. This is the reason why they are able to pull off absolute miracles sometimes based on pure talent but fail almost always due to their strategy being non-existent. There are 300 balls in a 50 over game and even a 38 over game is pretty long.

I can't fail but laugh at the posts above. Seriously... Phaast...Phaast WTF? Like I predicted and hoped for in the 1st ODI thread, he brought himself to #3, the perfect position for someone of his skill to play. If you notice, during the whole "Mendis Mania" in SL, it was only Sehwag who scored runs, no one else but Dhoni could tackle them. Sehwag doesn't last more than 15 overs. So with him gone our "hitters" were falling like a pack of cards. Cricket is about strategy and I'm damn glad we finally have a captain who utilizes it. We have hitters in: Sehwag, Raina, Yuvi and Yusuf. Even Gambhir who was supposed to be playing an anchor role is out of form. Next you have Sachin who's not been lucky or adapting to the fast-paced environment these days. So the only two who really can be sheet anchors are Gambhir and Dhoni. Is that so hard to understand? If Dhoni were to change his game to be a hitter, I'd guarantee our scores will be something like 165/5 or something almost every game with Yusuf and Raina struggling to build a partnership, or someone like Bhajji or Irfan having to play the remaining 15-20 overs. Just because he's playing a "boring" and "slow" innings doesn't mean it's not important. In the context of the game, Yuvraj the man in form got out quickly, Sehwag and Sachin were gone. Who could we count on? Raina is in form but hasn't scored a century in recent memory, Yusuf we all know can't stick in there for long. We didn't even have Irfan to nudge the ball and give strike. It's pathetic to see fellow Indian fans acting like the Pakis who want everyone in their team to play like Afridi. Great talent and ability without strategy = Bangladesh. This is the reason why they are able to pull off absolute miracles sometimes based on pure talent but fail almost always due to their strategy being non-existent. There are 300 balls in a 50 over game and even a 38 over game is pretty long.
:two_thumbs_up: some sense finally.
dude the fact is it was Sehwag,Raina n Pathan who accelearted the innings... we were going nowhere with the way Dhoni was batting..his tuktuk single style of batting and running dangerious singles in the inner ring is almost costing a runout every match....Had Raina not played that agressive innings, we could have been in deep trouble... we had loads of ur kinda batsmen back in 90s who were only good in stablizing the innings... the max they would take us was 220... with this aggressive lot, we r the new champs....stop living in the past... now a score of 300 is a must if u want to win.. believe it or not, it was Sehwag, Raina and Y Pathan's innings that got us that good score...
dude the fact is it was Sehwag' date='Raina n Pathan who accelearted the innings... [b']we were going nowhere with the way Dhoni was batting..his tuktuk single style of batting and running dangerious singles in the inner ring is almost costing a runout every match....Had Raina not played that agressive innings, we could have been in deep trouble... we had loads of ur kinda batsmen back in 90s who were only good in stablizing the innings... the max they would take us was 220... with this aggressive lot, we r the new champs....stop living in the past... now a score of 300 is a must if u want to win.. believe it or not, it was Sehwag, Raina and Y Pathan's innings that got us that good score...
You still need an anchor at one end for someone at the other to play aggressively, and at the end it was not a slow innings by any means. I don't get all the fuss.
You still need an anchor at one end for someone at the other to play aggressively' date=' and at the end it was not a slow innings by any means. I don't get all the fuss.[/quote'] agree.... but it wasnt a MOM perfomance...Raina/Sehwag took the risk of accelerating the innings ....so Raina/Sehwag deserved the MOM trophy...

Dhoni's just like what Rahul Dravid used to be in ODIs. He can give support and stabilize the innings. Ideal partner for sehwag, yuvi et al. This works in ODIs but not in T20s. We need Dhoni for his captaincy and keeping skills in T20 as well but certainly not for his batting. (Ideally he should come after bhajji in T20s)

It is all to do with expectations. We have to accept the fact that Dhoni is not that blistering long-haired swashbuckler who would wallop the ball to all parts of the ground. He has taken it upon himself to be the anchor/guide and finisher for this team. And he has become a very important cog playing that role for us.