Non Resident Indians or Not Required Indians

fineleg

NRIs deserve this treatment. they all r traitors. they should be treated far worser than this. all NRIs make fun of India, and ditch their country only to earn some extra $$$$$. i hope all their 100% income gets taxed so that they start realising their mistake, forgive to all indians & return back to India.

NRIs deserve this treatment. they all r traitors. they should be treated far worser than this. all NRIs make fun of India' date=' and ditch their country only to earn some extra $$$$$. i hope all their 100% income gets taxed so that they start realising their mistake, [b']forgive to all indians & return back to India.
:blink:

NRIs deserve this treatment. they all r traitors. they should be treated far worser than this. all NRIs make fun of India' date=' and ditch their country only to earn some extra $$$$$. i hope all their 100% income gets taxed so that they start realising their mistake, forgive to all indians & return back to India.[/quote'] stop talking out of your azz... do you know how much money NRIs invest in India and sent back every year thru Western Union? Sometimes people leave the country not by choice but for necessity.

Swapan Dasgupta's :finger: to all NRIs :D

How the Non-Resident Indian has fallen from grace here was a time, not all that long ago, when the annual ‘home’ visit of the non-resident uncle or aunt was the most important item in the dreary social calendar of a middle-class Indian family. An air of expectancy would fill the household as the bulky suitcases were unpacked and the gifts distributed — a muffler for the grandfather, a cardigan and a bottle of perfume for mother, a duty-free Johnnie Walker for father, denim jeans for the teenager, chocolates for the neighbour and a compact umbrella for the old maid. We would be shown photographs of the spacious suburban house and the big car which would be contrasted with the creaking 12-yearold Fiat outside. Until the early 1990s, India was home to a middle-class that lived in a state of permanent deprivation. However much we loved our country and waved the flag on the few occasions India won a Test match, our Third World status confronted us incessantly. Although life was never as unbearable as in the Communist bloc, we lacked those little luxuries that make drudgery bearable. Leaving India was an idea assiduously nurtured if you were audacious and ambitious. The grass, it was known, was far greener in the West. There, despite the social and racial disdain an immigrant was subjected to, you could make it with hard work and some enterprise. In the social milieu of the West, the expatriate Indian counted for very little. Barring the odd exception, he could never make it to the inside track of the power structure. But he ensured for himself a relatively decent standard of living. True it was a life minus servants, but it was also minus the hassles of unending shortages, petty corruption and telephones that worked erratically. It wasn’t merely the Green Card and, ultimately, the coveted blue American or red British passport that made the NRI feel more superior. It mattered to him that his superiority was recognised and acknowledged at home. Despite not being there for 11 months in the year, the NRI became the centre of attraction in the family. He was fawned upon when he came home to India; his pronouncements were heard with awe and reverence; and he was flattered by banks and governments into parting with his few surplus dollars, in exchange for extraordinary benefits denied to rupee earners. Nor was the importance of the NRI confined to the family. Even mighty politicians and stand-offish babus courted NRIs with an eye on some crumbs of hospitality during visits abroad. In the 1970s and 1980s, i encountered many petty travel agents, restaurant owners and property speculators in the Indian ghettos of London who counted for little in Britain but who had free access into the houses of our politicians. All this seems a long time ago. The balance of power began tilting against the NRI sometime in the late 1990s. First, the government of India lifted the absurd restrictions on foreign travel and the purchase of hard currency by resident Indians. More important, you could use your Indian credit card abroad and not scrounge for NRI hospitality. Secondly, the spurt in domestic manufacturing and free imports implied that you didn’t have to depend on the visiting NRI for those little extras. Since many of the best global brands are available in India at competitive prices, the shopping list of discerning Indian travellers have shrunk dramatically to include only the exotic. Finally, the globalisation of Indian business signalled the end of a one-sided flow of capital. It’s no longer a case of India depending on NRI munificence but the West wooing Indian capital. The average NRI’s fall from grace in India has been precipitate. The vacuous condescension that marked earlier attitudes has been replaced by desperation to find some accommodation somewhere. The big NRI players have no problem — they have seen their social worth in the West keep pace with India’s soaring reputation as a rising power. But the small fish whose tie and a twang once enabled him to lord over his less fortunate brethren in India has seen envy replaced with disinterest. To the NRI confronted with a precarious descent into obscurity, there is only a small solace: interventions on the net. Taking advantage of a more connected world, the professional NRI (who knows no other identity) has stepped up his battles to cast India in his own confused image. No Indian website is free from the voluminous but pernicious comments of the know-all, ultra-nationalist NRI banging away on the computer in splendid isolation. From being India’s would-be benefactors, the meddlesome NRI has become an intellectual nuisance, derailing civil discourse with his paranoia and pseudo-superiority. It’s time he was royally ignored.
http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/right-and-wrong/entry/how-the-non-resident-indian

>>> How the Non-Resident Indian has fallen from grace :--DRead that some time back.My sister's sister in law was visiting from US and that woman likes to be treated like royalty when she comes. This time my sis also finally gave up on her.Her AC wasn't working...usko cooler ki hawa mein sullaya...........:hysterical:She was complaining ..to uske bhai ne kaha...stop it man...tum sab sissy ho gaye ho.:P

The blog reeks of insecurity and inferiority complex. While definitely the balance has tilted but the globalisation has improved the status of only those indians who can afford to buy international products at the same price that are sold in the corresponding country (Accord/Civics are converted from dollars to rupees at today's conversion rate and sold in India), Pizzas too. The buying power of the average middle class has also increased mainly because of credit market explosion and people getting paid unreasonably higher in IT industry when compared to other sectors. But the average clerk in a govt office, still is in the same place he was in the 90s. While NRIs also haven't built the new India, they can't ask for special status too. But whatever 'tarakki' India has seen recently, is only because of private sector flourishing with some new govt globalisation policies.

NRIs deserve this treatment. they all r traitors. they should be treated far worser than this. all NRIs make fun of India' date=' and ditch their country only to earn some extra $$$$$. i hope all their 100% income gets taxed so that they start realising their mistake, forgive to all indians & return back to India.[/quote'] @m17$?

I hate to admit it, but there is a lot of truth in that blog, although I myself have never behaved like a jerk or expected special treatment or complained about the weather or crowd, I can understand why the author feels that way as I have interacted with quite a few NRIs who could irritate folks back home. Only thing I would like to add is that Resident Indians should realize that a good reason for the resurgence of the new India especially in the IT sector is due to the NRIs. The impression NRI engineers have made in the US as well as outsourcing/off-shoring businesses started by NRIs in India has helped boost that sector. Also, NRI remittances played a huge part in revival of our foreign exchange reserves. I am not an economist, but this is based on what I read elsewhere. So we are not totally evil. :--D

I am pretty there’s plenty of good stuff that NRIs do and I am not aware of every single one of them. But what I do know is that the NRIs, through their generous investments in India (especially in real-estate) have made housing almost unaffordable for the vast majority of middle class Indians.

I am pretty there’s plenty of good stuff that NRIs do and I am not aware of every single one of them. But what I do know is that the NRIs' date=' [b']through their generous investments in India (especially in real-estate) have made housing almost unaffordable for the vast majority of middle class Indians.
True but the govt cannot have them "investing" in India but not let them buy land. No free lunches.

True but the govt cannot have them "investing" in India but not let them buy land. No free lunches.
Agree. Its not the NRI’s fault if he wants to buy property in India with the dollars he earned abroad. Its their right. But what of the millions of ordinary, middle-class Indian households, whose dream of owning a house is simply beyond their reach?

Agree. Its not the NRI’s fault if he wants to buy property in India with the dollars he earned abroad. Its their right. But what of the millions of ordinary' date= middle-class Indian households, whose dream of owning a house is simply beyond their reach?
Send one of their kids to US. Most of us come from middle class households, don't we :giggle:

Oh shut up you NRIs...we have been buying houses all this while without your help.....you people are so full of yourself!:eviltongue:
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Although it sounds funny but I agree to some extent. NRIs have hardly done anything for India and trying to do anything useful for the country. The only occasions they contact India is when they are in some problem and need Indian govt. help for solving their problems in their countries (eg. Australian saga etc)... And we have lost many intellectuals due to this brain-drain although it is decreasing gradually and many Indian intellectuals remain in India nowadays instead of going to other countries Returning back to this topic, I think the Indian govt. was planning to reduce income tax rates in 2011 wherein only 10% interest rate would apply for income upto 10 lakhs (currently it is upto 30%) .. and in income of more than 10 lakhs too the income tax would reduce significantly. I am not sure if they are going to provide this income tax relief for Indian citizens by increasing tax for NRIs :finger: