Genius batting on this slouch of a pitch

fineleg

Hope he realizes how well he plays when he gives himself time to get in. He can easily increase his strike rate at will. He gets bored easily when he does not hit boundaries.
Yes, even in ODIs if he gets through the initial 10-15 overs by playing a bit carefully - then he can launch big in middle overs.

IF he could play circumspect like this in 75% of ODIs...he can make a big difference
Why would he play when you have Tendulkar, Gauti, Dhoni, Yuvraj, Raina... Here he had to play as nobody is there after him. But in Tests he does play like this. Playing percentage cricket. To average viewer it might look like lucky. But lot of thinking behind those innings.

Why would he play when you have Tendulkar' date=' Gauti, Dhoni, Yuvraj, Raina... Here he had to play as nobody is there after him. But in Tests he does play like this. Playing percentage cricket. To average viewer it might look like lucky. But lot of thinking behind those innings.[/quote'] You cannot think like that cricket that you have so many after you. That is a wrong thinking. Cricket is not played like this. Whenever batsmen goes to bat, his first aim should be not losing wicket and if he does not lose wicket, runs will come. if you will look at the batsman after you, it do not go well for the, finish the work yourself, why leave to others. When he does well, there is not other better batsman than him, not even SRT could play like him on these kind of pitches like he plays...

You cannot think like that cricket that you have so many after you. That is a wrong thinking. Cricket is not played like this. Whenever batsmen goes to bat' date=' his first aim should be not losing wicket and if he does not lose wicket, runs will come. if you will look at the batsman after you, it do not go well for the, finish the work yourself, why leave to others. When he does well, there is not other better batsman than him, not even SRT could play like him on these kind of pitches like he plays...[/quote'] WTF! Gilchrist played exactly like Sehwag in ODIs - they also have similar stats. And Gilchrist is considered one of the best opening batsmen in ODIs.

You cannot think like that cricket that you have so many after you. That is a wrong thinking. Cricket is not played like this. Whenever batsmen goes to bat' date=' his first aim should be not losing wicket and if he does not lose wicket, runs will come. if you will look at the batsman after you, it do not go well for the, finish the work yourself, why leave to others. When he does well, there is not other better batsman than him, not even SRT could play like him on these kind of pitches like he plays...[/quote'] If we are going to force Viru to play theoritical cricket it will be a massive failure. His first instinct is aggression. That is what has given him this much success. Even in this innings he was aggressive. He took chances even in this match. Runs don't come just by standing at the crease. At some point you have to take chance.

WTF! Gilchrist played exactly like Sehwag in ODIs - they also have similar stats. And Gilchrist is considered one of the best opening batsmen in ODIs.
Gilchrist was one of best aggressive opening batsman...he was considered great wicket keeper batsman because of his test performances and though both has similar stats, but Sehwag's good one day innings come with long gaps...and out middle order batting is nowhere near what Australia had in those. Other point of view is Gilchrist didn't have his second game other that attack. Sehwag has done this in tests. He takes his time but he still scores fast and in ODIs, he tries to many things too early. I am not degrading Sehwag. He is a great batsman. It is just if he could have played like this in ODIs, his record would have been as good as SRT. Don't take my argument that I am criticizing him. It is just my point of view which many a people forced to think when he can play that good with this kind of approach than why he tries to do too play and manufacture the shots many a times in ODIs. I am not anyone who should criticize him or should find his mistakes. I have a POV, nothing else.

Will Viru change his mind and go for the England tour (which will mean postponting his shoulder surgery which is likely to keep him out of cricket for 4-5 months) epecially if he continues to bat like the way he did today?
I hope he doesnt

Viru - again on a pitch that had something for the bowlers if they put it in the right places, and when others around him were falling like pins, Viru did the job! :hatsoff: He makes batting look easy when it is not.