Spot-fixing: Butt, Asif and Aamer found guilty, sentenced to jail !!

SachDan

Any source? All I read was NOTW paid 150K lbs to Majjed to get the players throw no-balls. If there was spot-betting on these no-balls' date=' then NOTW is as culpable as these players in cheating the losers of the spot-betting. I doubt there was any spot-betting that took place . They should get the NOTW editors who arranged this on court as well. Even now I feed NOTW should have been charged with something.[/quote'] go to cricinfo and read some articles. Amir contacted a bookie to ask the terms of fixing in another game. There were messages to give 8 runs in 2 overs and kami was also mentioned. Besides the no-ball information was passed to bookies in Dubai and india as well. The sting was just a small part in a much bigger pie. If you read just the judges statement and majeed's statements (both on front page of todays cricinfo), you should get a good picture on what was going on.
Any source? All I read was NOTW paid 150K lbs to Majjed to get the players throw no-balls. If there was spot-betting on these no-balls' date=' then NOTW is as culpable as these players in cheating the losers of the spot-betting. I doubt there was any spot-betting that took place . They should get the NOTW editors who arranged this on court as well. Even now I feed NOTW should have been charged with something.[/quote'] Ok...For eg;If a cop goes undercover and works in the drug mafia to bust the racket,will he be arrested as he was also for drug trafficking. This is a part of investigation and I am sure journalists have some privileges in this matter.
I guess Amir took it little too easy and lightly' date=' only few sentences like "chalta hey yar, sab kartey hain, kabhi kuch hua?" etc etc were enough for him to get involved into all this...[/quote'] Since he was going to be the next Wasim Akram maybe he thought in future the jury will have a soft-spot for him:giggle:
go to cricinfo and read some articles. Amir contacted a bookie to ask the terms of fixing in another game. There were messages to give 8 runs in 2 overs and kami was also mentioned. Besides the no-ball information was passed to bookies in Dubai and india as well. The sting was just a small part in a much bigger pie. If you read just the judges statement and majeed's statements (both on front page of todays cricinfo), you should get a good picture on what was going on.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan/content/story/536049.html
The court was then told that on August 26, a Thursday evening, the first day of that fourth Test, how Majeed mistakenly sent a text message to Mahmood, meant for Amir, saying: 'Third ball of your third over'. After this Majeed texted Mahmood to call him, which allowed the journalist to set up his recording equipment. The court then heard how Majeed tried to back out of the third no-ball but after Mahmood insistence that his (fictitious) cartel in the Far East had already bet on that event, he said he would happen.
I doubt there was any spot betting happened on this event, may be there was going on in Karachi and Mumbai satta markets , but why would English woirry about any injustice meted out to a hand-cart puller in Karachi?
http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan/content/story/536049.html I doubt there was any spot betting happened on this event, may be there was going on in Karachi and Mumbai satta markets , but why would English woirry about any injustice meted out to a hand-cart puller in Karachi?
Although no evidence of any spot betting goin on in UK for these exact 3 balls were shown in evidence, they did fix the game and in-effect cheat any british legal bet makers that might have done it. I am assuming that if they didnt show any evidence of betting on these 3 balls, they didnt need to. Probably like a conspiracy to commit felony as opposed to attempt to commit felony and committing felony.

People saying Jail term was too harsh of a punishment......These guys violated the gambling laws.Since Gambling is legal there, it has certain strict regulations and laws monitoring it . Bookmakers are a legal channel. What they did comes under defrauding them and it is a serious offence.Their offence is not like getting a parking ticket but more like a act of fraud.As far as I know last time I heard fraud resulted in prison-term in most countries. This would be applicable to anyone and our Paki friends as usual just seemed to be the trendsetters in this matter. So no rules have been twisted or any conspiracy has been played to trap these guys.If anything,Amir got away with a light sentence because he is supposed to be 18 on paper which I highly doubt. If they wanted to **** with him,they could have done a DNA test,proved he was well over 18 and sent him to a nice long sentence as well.

Yea for amir the blame has to be with the pcb as well. If you don't provide proper guidance for such a bright young talent then there is everything systemically wrong with your sports admin. I say that amir and cummins would have been the brightest bowling stars for many years to come but now amir is lost for good it seems. In terms of background I think we had a similar case with Munaf patel, but instead of turning him into a cheater, our coaches and administration somehow managed to turn him into a world class trundler and a very wealthy person too. Regardless of skill and development, the bcci does a decent job of guiding youngsters who are the most vulnerable at such a tender age.
Excellent point made. Cant think of a better example. When you think of Munaf, Irfan pathan who have really come from extremely poor families you are left with no sympathy for Amir. Poor irfan is still in the doldrums and yet I dont see him doing anything close to this. Our Parthiv patel was a teenager when he started playing, but did he start fixing match ? For once I am proud of these guys. It does prove that your family values, your team culture and national pride does play an important role. With role models like Rahul Dravid, Sachin and Laxman and Dada, I dont think anyone in the present team and of the recent past would do something like this !

Pakistan court asks authorities to register case against tainted trio

Lahore: A Pakistani court ordered authorities to register a criminal case against former captain Salman Butt and two other cricketers who were convicted of corruption and spot-fixing by a court in Britain. A Pakistani court ordered authorities to register a criminal case against Butt, Amir and Asif. Ž© AFP The additional district and sessions court in Lahore issued the order in response to an application filed by lawyer Muhammad Zubair Bulqan, who had asked the judge to direct authorities to register a case against the Pakistani cricketers involved in spot-fixing. Bulqan said the players had tarnished Pakistan's image in the world of cricket by indulging in spot-fixing. He said the offence the players had committed was not a tolerable one for the entire country. The petitioner said he earlier submitted an application to Islamapura police station for registering a case against the cricketers but officials had refused to act on his request. He asked the court to order the police station chief to register a case against the players. The judge, while disposing of Bulqan's petition, ordered the police station chief to act on the petitioner's application in accordance with the law and to register a case on any cognizable offences committed by the players. Earlier in the day, the British court handed down prison sentences to the three suspended Pakistani cricketers - Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir - after finding them guilty of corruption. Butt and Asif were jailed for 30 months and one year respectively. Amir, who pleaded guilty before the trial of his two teammates, was sentenced to six months in prison.
But they (NOTW) did pay money to influewnce the game? Why are they not prosected? I know they are not around to be prosecuted' date=' but aren't they responsible in defrauding the bookmakers? I still feel the punishment overcompensates the crime.[/quote'] Doesnt our own Tehelka does similar sting operations ? I think the media might be exempted in order to bring out the truth ...or something like that..
Excellent point made. Cant think of a better example. When you think of Munaf, Irfan pathan who have really come from extremely poor families you are left with no sympathy for Amir. Poor irfan is still in the doldrums and yet I dont see him doing anything close to this. Our Parthiv patel was a teenager when he started playing, but did he start fixing match ? For once I am proud of these guys. It does prove that your family values, your team culture and national pride does play an important role. With role models like Rahul Dravid, Sachin and Laxman and Dada, I dont think anyone in the present team and of the recent past would do something like this !
Oh please its an insult to our legends to compare with Pak players we rather lose matches with honesty than win by hook or crook.
Honestly speaking I want to see Aamir back in Pakistan team' date=' whatever you guys say but in my opinion he deserves to play more... and yes NEVER the other 2[/quote'] No chance i think all teams should refuse to play with Pakistan if he does come back life ban is a must and if PCB doesnt do it they are the most weakest board.
Education and Cultural values play a big role in our society... but not in padosi mulk.. when you come from a poor family.. like aamir's, you tend to fall for these traps.. We all know that our politicians make sevaral million dollars in black money which ruins lot of poor families but gets away with it.. they make treason level offense but we dont do anything.. players like Asif, Butt, Akmal, Aamir should never be allowed to play cricket.. but if you throw a19 yr old in jail, you are taking away his chance to improve from his mistakes.. he even admitted that he made mistakes.. he should be banned but not be jailed.. On the other note, p@kistan, as a nation, should be ashamed that this happened. Should really think about the level at which they gone to.
Well put. I would like to add to your point. I've read that Salman Butt is from one of the most well off families in Lahore. Why did he do it? Did he really need the money? What kind of moral fibre is he made of? I would also like to point out that Ravindra Jadeja, Irfan Pathan and Munaf Patel all come from impoverished backgrounds. Did they do such a thing? Never. And these players have had stretches in their careers where they've languished into obscurity. Irfan Pathan is still languishing. They knew that they could be dropped and yet haven't done anything close to this. Makes me so proud of our boys. Win or lose, we play with honour. :isalute: On the same note, now that PCB has got the cancerous elements out, good luck to them. There are good characters in Pak cricket. They need to step to the fore and take charge of things. Younis Khan must be more vocal and play a bigger role in Pakistani cricket.
^ at this age if someone commit a crime' date=' punishment is given to correct him and make him part of society with an improved character, if society is not able to accept him again whats the purpose to give punishment?[/quote'] Let him chose another profession but not cricket age is just an excuse wasnt he over 18 when he bowled that no ball if pakistan want to set an example then give life bans for trio.
^ at this age if someone commit a crime' date=' punishment is given to correct him and make him part of society with an improved character, if society is not able to accept him again whats the purpose to give punishment?[/quote'] ++ I agree with you on the count of giving corrective punishments that can help the person become a better character and do a better job as part of the society!!!