Shah Rukh Khan thread

bulbul

The whole filmi concept is what separates Bollywood from the rest of the world. Song and dances make up almost 50% of the film. Indians cannot imagine an Indian movie without song and dance. Very very few Indian movies are without songs and dances. Not saying song and dance are bad, but we stretch them beyond the limit.
The nature of commercial cinema in India itself makes you not take it seriously. It doesnt matter who the director, actors are and how talented they are, the approach to storytelling is comical and defeats the purpose. You cant put some dance and song routine in between a story and expect people to take it seriously. Indian cinema(more specifically Bollywood) will be considered on the level of American or European films if they cut out the rubbish like comedy tracks, song and dance music videos, unrealistic action scenes and stick to good storytelling.

I remember reading the roots of Indian cinema and european/american cinema are different. Indian cinema originated from plays which had a lot of song and dance unlike european and american counterparts. The originators of indian and european drama had different aims and the dramas were played out in different settings.

It was far better than what we see today. The actors could act. Check out box office hits nowadays- Meh Terra Hero My Name is Khan That Dar de Disco movie Dhoom series Chennai Express These are the tripes that run the show among the audience now. Yes, there are good movies which are usually underrated and ignored by the majority of fans.
Scenario 1: I, as a person working in MNC. Living in 24*7 electricity, going by Car on a smooth NCR road would surely want to see a movie like Khosla Ka Ghosla, Highway etc. on weekends. When me or people of my society go to watch a movie like Dabang, Kal ho na Ho first thing most of them say abey kya Ch***tiya** hai. Is this the level of Bollywood. They are making worse and worse movies nowadays. Chal Bar chalte hain aur lets go to a Restaurant. Scenario 2: The majoity population of India, a Ferriwallah, Autowallah, Small Kirana Store owner his whole day is passed in power cuts, working in extreme conditions,severe heat or cold, the only sex objects they have is their middle aged wife who has already turned dark and fat due to excessive work. I take them to watch a movie like Dabang or Shahrukh Khans love story, they will love them it takes them to another world, the world were hero can beat hundreds of villians, chikni chikni heroines and everyone is so good, Parents are like Alok Nath. This is their dream. If I ask them to see another poverty driven movie or movie which shows reality, they will not want to see that because this is what they have seen all their life. In short, movie is crap or not it is upto the audience to decide. We can only tell our perspective:). And as per Bollywood or Hollywood hero is concerned, can Bruce Willis dance like Hrithik Roshan? no, Can Hrithik do a movie like Die Hard? Yes, not with the same intent but partially so I will surely take Bollywood actor over Hollywood anyday.

I remember reading the roots of Indian cinema and european/american cinema are different. Indian cinema originated from plays which had a lot of song and dance unlike european and american counterparts. The originators of indian and european drama had different aims and the dramas were played out in different settings.
Plays with song and dance are a different genre. Even the Greeks and Romans had it. Those plays with song and dance are entirely different to the ones you see in the movie. Completely different story.

The sad part is that is what the rest of the world know about Indian cinema. They do not know the brilliant film makers that have come out India like Satyajit Ray' date=' Mrinal Sen, Adoor Gopalakrishnan, Shyam Benegal, etc etc...[/quote'] Like Deto posted, the great Ray, Sen are all quiet well known around the world, but the majority of audience think Indian cinema is Bollywood. There are good flicks in Bollywood, but the ones they promote are the ones you would want to wipe your ass with. Off Topic- Adoor Golpalakrishnan is the one who urged me to study theaters. Helped me a lot in this profession. A friend of my uncle, who was also a famous director in Malayalam.

Scenario 1: I, as a person working in MNC. Living in 24*7 electricity, going by Car on a smooth NCR road would surely want to see a movie like Khosla Ka Ghosla, Highway etc. on weekends. When me or people of my society go to watch a movie like Dabang, Kal ho na Ho first thing most of them say abey kya Ch***tiya** hai. Is this the level of Bollywood. They are making worse and worse movies nowadays. Chal Bar chalte hain aur lets go to a Restaurant. Scenario 2: The majoity population of India, a Ferriwallah, Autowallah, Small Kirana Store owner his whole day is passed in power cuts, working in extreme conditions,severe heat or cold, the only sex objects they have is their middle aged wife who has already turned dark and fat due to excessive work. I take them to watch a movie like Dabang or Shahrukh Khans love story, they will love them it takes them to another world, the world were hero can beat hundreds of villians, chikni chikni heroines and everyone is so good, Parents are like Alok Nath. This is their dream. If I ask them to see another poverty driven movie or movie which shows reality, they will not want to see that because this is what they have seen all their life. In short, movie is crap or not it is upto the audience to decide. We can only tell our perspective:). And as per Bollywood or Hollywood hero is concerned, can Bruce Willis dance like Hrithik Roshan? no, Can Hrithik do a movie like Die Hard? Yes, not with the same intent but partially so I will surely take Bollywood actor over Hollywood anyday.
Good point. But we have got these Auto drivers and manual labourers in our part of the world too, and they don't need a Salman Khan flexing his muscles to watch a good movie. A good movie doesn't necessarily has to have a topic about poverty either. Its your personal call, but I judge an 'actor' based on his acting skills, not his dance, good looks or physique. Die Hard is just another masala flick of Hollywood.

Plays with song and dance are a different genre. Even the Greeks and Romans had it. Those plays with song and dance are entirely different to the ones you see in the movie. Completely different story.
I am no expert in ancient Indian drama, so i don't know how well it translates into modern Indian film with songs and dances, but what i remember reading is that most indian drama had aspects of song and dance whereas in europe it was just another genre like you have musicals these days.

you should see his character in rab ne bana di jodi where his own wife can't recognize her husband and thinks of him as another man when he takes off his mustache :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:
I don't know why you're laughing so uncontrollably. Rab ne bana di Jodi is based on the true life love saga of the BJP prime ministerial candidate who can't recognize/acknowledge his wife of 50 odd years and suddenly finds his memory returning as he files his nomination papers.

I don't know why you're laughing so uncontrollably. Rab ne bana di Jodi is based on the true life love saga of the BJP prime ministerial candidate who can't recognize/acknowledge his wife of 50 odd years and suddenly finds his memory returning as he files his nomination papers.
So what if it is based on a true life saga? The movie was crap!

It's not like poor people cannot understand so called "intellignet" movies like Dabba, or those MNC working ppl won't watch Dabaang. What we have is the multiplex culture, where ppl want to see a movie for timepass. Bollywood has probably reached a pinnacle in marketing, by tuning Ra.One into a massive hit, when my eyes bleed while watching. You make a colorful TV serial with a better camera, market it with 2x production budget = easy money. Producers doens't care to release their movies to villages or small towns, where an entire run of the movie collects as much as a single day in a multi plex. They earn profit, that's it. Bollywood doesn't care abt making good movies anymore, they mastered the art of promoting craps. Film critics have become sell outs. They have no shame on proclaiming a *****y movie as world class. This is apparent when stupid movies like Highway gets good rating from the critics.

Bollywood in its formative years ( I'm talking about movies with sound) focused basically on retelling popular folk and mythological stories. There wasn't much writing new stories. One can say that the tradition of not coming up with new stories continues till date. :P The key was molding a know story/hero into the way the audience could connect to. And this retrospective glorification of folk heros/stories always involved a good amount of ballads and had its fare share of dances. Most of the early Bollywood songs were paeans to heroes of folklore. And the tradition of continuing with songs/dance just stuck because people accepted it. Hollywood on the other hand largely depends on contemporary stories. Not much room for unnecessary glorification there. Also, I dare add, that music in general plays a much bigger role in the life of your average Indian than the Westerner.

It's not like poor people cannot understand so called "intellignet" movies like Dabba, or those MNC working ppl won't watch Dabaang. What we have is the multiplex culture, where ppl want to see a movie for timepass. Bollywood has probably reached a pinnacle in marketing, by tuning Ra.One into a massive hit, when my eyes bleed while watching. You make a colorful TV serial with a better camera, market it with 2x production budget = easy money. Producers doens't care to release their movies to villages or small towns, where an entire run of the movie collects as much as a single day in a multi plex. They earn profit, that's it. Bollywood doesn't care abt making good movies anymore, they mastered the art of promoting craps. Film critics have become sell outs. They have no shame on proclaiming a *****y movie as world class. This is apparent when stupid movies like Highway gets good rating from the critics.
++1 And when a movie like 3 Idiots is rated by most of their prominent personalities as the best in the country, you know that's the standard they set for themselves. Let them enjoy, but it doesn't change the fact that they crave more for rubbish entertainment and money over good cinema. Add the complex towards Hollywood with that. Bollywood in terms of good movies aren't 'never ever' going to match Hollywood. Majority of those guys are dedicated towards their profession, unlike the super stars in BW.

In short' date=' movie is crap or not it is upto the audience to decide. We can only tell our perspective:). And as per Bollywood or Hollywood hero is concerned, can Bruce Willis dance like Hrithik Roshan? no, Can Hrithik do a movie like Die Hard? Yes, not with the same intent but partially so I will surely take Bollywood actor over Hollywood anyday.[/quote'] Everone likes most of movies at some point of time. A person's current mindset has a huge impact on judging a movie. You might like Die Hard or Rocky if you re too bored with your life. You might like Batman movies if you are angry with society. Also, you cannot go to Godzilla on your first date with ur Girlfriend. No, you can't watch Life of Pi while drunk with a gang of friends. A good movie will hit your brain, regardless of the mindset. A bad movie will piss you off no matter how good ur mood is.

@ Slickr and @ Asim Some movies of Salman where I thought he acted well. Its movies like this where you remember his character more than the movie itself. Andaz Apna Apna Saajan Khamoshi Sanam Bewafa Karan Arjun My favourite roles essayed by Aamir Khan was that of Sanju in JJWS and Munna of Rangeela. Apart form this I have never really impressed by his acting.

SRK is an ordinary actor. My cousins took me along with them to watch some movie of his 2 years back and the 3 hrs I spent in the cinema hall was torture. How is this clown better than Kamal Hasan,MohanLal,Manmoothy?

So what if it is based on a true life saga? The movie was crap!
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

lol' date=' the only ones who think like that is the ignorant media. Foreign movie buffs have enough exposure to Malayalam, Bengali, Tamizh and Marathi movies. Non-bollywood movies has more foreign movie festival awards and jury awards at cannes than the bollywood ones.[/quote'] Abe saale, I am not talking about movie buffs. I am talking about the common folks. I live in the US and very few folks know who Satyajit Ray is. When you mention Indian cinema they immediately relate to Bollywood masala. These are not uneducated redneck types, rather my American friends, colleagues, etc.