Chanderpaul the most selfish batsman in cricket?

FischerTal

Chanderpaul has been accused of being selfish earlier as well but today's performance doesn't add anything to substantiate that allegation. There were more than 2 days left in the match. You are not going to shield tail for that long. I would rather suggest exposing tail more so that they can gain some batting experience in such hopeless situations.

VVS too was accused of being selfish when batting with the tail. Same approach helped him win tests for India batting with the tail' date=' most famously at Mohali and Durban in 2010.[/quote'] Only idiots will accuse vvs of being selfish.He took calculated risks when ojha came in and shielded ishant from johnson as ishant was finding him hard to face.If u have watched chanders bat in last few years u should know better.

How long can he farm the strike ? Unless the team is 9 wickets down, the other batsman has to be allowed to do some batting too. He is not someone who can hit the big shots, so he has to score runs through singles. Better to score some runs instead of just blocking and getting out eventually.

chanders- commentators have mentioned this over the last few years.he defo plays for his avg kallis - very selfish batsmen,compromised a berth in the CT finals coz he went slow during his 90s but eventually got out,other examples- 91 of 144 vs india in mumbai 2005,114 of 164 in durban vs india 2006..if you watched kallis play some of those innings,u would be flummoxed andyf lower tendu 2010 1st saf test :vroam:

how is giving strike to your batting partner selfish? More chance they get out and you dont have have chance to score runs.... what lahori logic is everyone following here?
The logic is that he can stay n.o. and boost his average. FWIW, I think it is a ridiculous allegation. It would hold some water if someone shows that he takes significantly more singles and gives up the strike more when he bats with the tail than with the top-order. Personally, I think he is one of the most under-rated cricketers I have seen. 149 matches, 51+ average, playing on a team that is laden with batsmen who have the attention-span of a 2-yr old, is a great accomplishment, IMO. Added in edit: If anything, WI fans must divert their wrath towards the other top-order bats, who all seem more intent on looking pretty wafting their bats than grinding it out. They are the selfish ones.

people saying they were 2 days left are wrong,you dont think like that.As Gavaskar you should look to bat the day out and then theres hope of rain etc. Atleast he should have farmed the strike against Shami given he was bowling so well

Agree to an extent. While batting with tail-enders, he looks keen on getting a single first ball of the over and let the tail-enders deal with the rest of the over. That seems to be a way to stay unbeaten and boost his own batting average, but counter-productive for the team.

depends man the day agar and others score htose runs against pakistan or against us at home i will agree england is similar to australia in many ways same way i expect our tail to do well in sri lanka anyway since you do not count ashwin a tail i think you should not count agar tail too
Unsure about this. England similar to Oz conditions??? Really? :giggle: Didnt Starc get 99 earlier in the year in India? Siddle twin 50's in final test vs India?
Unsure about this. England similar to Oz conditions??? Really? :giggle: Didnt Starc get 99 earlier in the year in India? Siddle twin 50's in final test vs India?
Didn't harbhajan got twin 50s in Australia ? I know there is difference between england and Australia but its still similar pitches in many ways Subcontinent tracks are also different from country to country but when compared to outside they look similar no ?