Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

1 hour ago, Vilander said:

some of his bouncers were going waist high and tail enders were cross batting it. I think he lacked height and Ishant lacked accuracy.

That is because Umesh does not complete his action and does not bend his back enough while bowling some bouncers.

When he does, he bowls some good bouncers 

Edited by express bowling
23 hours ago, express bowling said:

Australian quicks, especially Cummins, using bounce and bouncers very intelligently and has picked up Rahul using a bouncer.

Our pacers need to learn from that.

Umesh picked up a wicket late in the innings bowling a bouncer but never bowled another one after that.   Very few bowled before that too.

Cummins making brilliant use of the short balls on day 3 even.

Gets 3 wickets off bouncers so far in this innings.

Also..... the bouncers are making it difficult for the batsmen to come confidently on the front-foot.... resulting in the pitched up balls more difficult to negotiate.

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Cummins making brilliant use of the short balls on day 3 even.

Gets 3 wickets off bouncers so far in this innings.

Also..... the bouncers are making it difficult for the batsmen to come confidently on the front-foot.... resulting in the pitched up balls more difficult to negotiate.

And our spearhead uses his height and brains only to do this:

3DFD470F00000578-0-image-m-2_14887528848

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Our bowlers use horse headed approach. Either they bowl short ball after ball or only full. There is no variety and becomes too predictable. Yadav could have been so much better with variation in lengths. Ishant too never really bowls good bouncers. He always loses his action when trying to do that.

We need more pacers who can set up batsmen and have pace + deck-hitting ability too.

As of now, only Shami qualifies.

I am tired of veteran pacers who either cannot setup batsmen or do not have deck hitting ability / pace. 

Edited by express bowling
4 hours ago, Forever Indian said:

And our spearhead uses his height and brains only to do this:

3DFD470F00000578-0-image-m-2_14887528848

Ishant has been bowling at good pace but if he has his wicket list empty ...he is going to loose his position in 11 sure not just to shammi but even to other bowlers.

Shammi and umesh have already gone miles ahead of him ...i see one left arm fast bowler requirement in the team..kulwant or bran or some one else is destined to throw out ishant soon unless ishant improves quickly.

4 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Our bowlers use horse headed approach. Either they bowl short ball after ball or only full. There is no variety and becomes too predictable. Yadav could have been so much better with variation in lengths. Ishant too never really bowls good bouncers. He always loses his action when trying to do that.

Agree completely. 

Ishant is suppose to be a bounce bowler..suprised he got no success from bouncers.

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

Ishant bowls 2 bouncers / short balls in a row to  Renshaw .... then pitches one up .... he is not confident of coming forward..... gets trapped LBW

This is such a simple and age-old strategy used by pacers

Why don't we use it more often  !!!!

Yeah. Unbelievable. Ishant has the height and pace to bowl bouncers but don't know why he is reluctant to bowl short balls. Maybe he needs to be angry to bowl bouncers. :phehe: 

29 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Yadav has been the best fast bowler in this series from both sides but he is looking really tired after such a long season, was seemed to be low in pace in this game, especially 2nd innings, has bowled more than 300 overs this home season, back breaking stuff on these unresponsive tracks. 

He needs to take a break. He should have skipped IPL. 

3 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Yadav has been the best fast bowler in this series from both sides but he is looking really tired after such a long season, was seemed to be low in pace in this game, especially 2nd innings, has bowled more than 300 overs this home season, back breaking stuff on these unresponsive tracks. 

Yep....he under performed in the second innings. 

I don't mind if he is rested for next test and shammi plays.

Ishant can also be rested.

Shammi should play.

21 hours ago, Mosher said:

He needs to take a break. He should have skipped IPL. 

No he would require this years IPL the most so that he can learn to bowl with similar effectiveness in limited format as well.Atleast we would get to know if not he himself. LOL.

59 minutes ago, Pollack said:

No he would require this years IPL the most so that he can learn to bowl with similar effectiveness in limited format as well.Atleast we would get to know if not he himself. LOL.

He did a good job in the ODI's vs NZ. Took early wickets with the new ball with some beautiful outswingers. His problem is he is not a good bowler at the death. Anyway we have Bumrah, Shami and Bhuvi for LOI's who are better than him. We need Umesh more for tests. 

He did a good job in the ODI's vs NZ. Took early wickets with the new ball with some beautiful outswingers. His problem is he is not a good bowler at the death. Anyway we have Bumrah, Shami and Bhuvi for LOI's who are better than him. We need Umesh more for tests. 

But on flatter Wicket's I would drop bhuvi for umesh , it gets very difficult for bhuvi when there is no swing in offer then he goes for variations ending up loosing his accuracy hence getting smacked!!! that 438 match vs south afric a is the proof,its batter to go with an attack of umesh shami and bumraha on such wickets!! Yes I agree with you that death bowling is umeshs problem but its amazing that he can bowl those pinpoint reverse swing yorkers in tests but not so in Odis, I still can't find the reason!!

Is dhoni the reason why he isn't as good In Odis as in tests???

1 hour ago, Mosher said:

No harm in being greedy. :biggrin:

Umesh is one guy whose fitness is never a concern. So want him to keep adding new dimensions to his bowling. Bumrah and Shami are injury prone. So need to have some experienced (in terms of international games exposure) option always ready when required.:yess: He has now some good slower ones which he was experimenting with last IPL.The point being he can experiment with his newly acquired skills or try out new while playing in IPL like he did last time as I noticed.

Edited by Pollack
47 minutes ago, speedheat said:

But on flatter Wicket's I would drop bhuvi for umesh , it gets very difficult for bhuvi when there is no swing in offer then he goes for variations ending up loosing his accuracy hence getting smacked!!! that 438 match vs south afric a is the proof,its batter to go with an attack of umesh shami and bumraha on such wickets!! Yes I agree with you that death bowling is umeshs problem but its amazing that he can bowl those pinpoint reverse swing yorkers in tests but not so in Odis, I still can't find the reason!!

Is dhoni the reason why he isn't as good In Odis as in tests???

We have stopped seeing reverse swing in ODI's since the rule of 2 new balls.