Who do you prefer at no.4 in ODIs? Manish or Ajinkya?

Lannister

Yeah probably that is because there's not much he needs to do to outperform the other 'all rounders' that had played for us. Whether his inclusion would make a significant difference to our results is a different story.  

Lol. You have a point there. If he scores at a SR of even 100, I'm sure that it'll suffice in ODIs. And instead of trundling at 120 kmph, bowling at 130-135 will make him seem superhuman in comparison.

Rahane may learn strike rotation over time. R Dravid was a pretty poor ODI player in the beginning, but he improved and became a very valuable player in the middle order for Ind. Rahane has more strokes than Dravid does. Given him a long run at a settled position (preferably 4) and he can do fine. I agree with you on Pandey - Iyer should play at 5 instead of him.

So u telling me we shud give chance to guy in middle order were he has no 100s, His best record is at opening b it Odi or ipl. 

The guy lacks shots so best place is powerplay like how Sa uses amla. But Persist with in middle order were he doesnt convert his starts n give him more balls to face than to a guy who cud easily make far far many runs in same amount of balls. Just becoz there might b a collapse someday on a seaming pitch n he will help us. If i rem correctly in 2nd Odi it was dhoni was made us get a gud total whereas rahane threw hi wkt. And sighting xamples of rahul dravid for the technical thing is just a myth we have coz Rem Ind-Nz 2002 odi series where he shud have saved us but it was sehwag. 

Giving him chances wud cost us many games. N even if he develops his game we all know he wnt b able to chase down 330 scores when required. 

N lets not ignore other scenarios, whenever we need to accelerate mostly we have to hide rahane. 

HE struggles in middle when pitches r slow and spinner are in control. Rem 4 runs from 25 balls in Bang

He has played 70 matches yet Manish pandey has played a phenomenal innings in 4th match which rahane hasnt done in 70 matches, so y not give pandey a chance coz he has earned it. Didnt rahane had a chance in Zimb he wasted it. He got so many starts in Sa series did he make a big one. 

Look at most of gr8 odi players at 4- Abdv, yuvraj singh, Inzy, Lara , Pietersen , Ross taylor at his peak . They all had the ability to turn games upside down. U need that sought of Player at 4. M not saying Manish is in their category but atleast He has the gears the skills required at no 4 n rahane doesnt. 

Rahane is just ok for one situation which to be honest again he hasnt done much in, Rest ODi game put u under many many situations which he is hardly ideal for.

Saying That ill also say he is the best player of fast bowling in this team so his place is best at open not middle.

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

Wouldn't want him in Tests, and possibly not even in T20s. He's not better than Rahane, Kohli, Pujara in Tests and these 3 constitute our middle order. If we need an extra batsman, I'd prefer it to be Iyer.

earlier most on this forum didn't want pandey at all in any format. Majority of the posters called him a hack. Not me though. Been saying since 2011 to make him part of the team.

He has shown in whatever little chances he has got that he has it in him.

I say try him out in t20s and tests as well in place of out of form players. There always will be out of form players. Frankly he can do better than dhawan has been in test format. He has been very poor in majority of the test matches barring 2-3 innings. 

Oh and Pandey is pretty damn good t20 player. Has enough stroke making power. The main reason why KKr beat KXiP even after saha scored a century in the finals. He has played quite a few match winning innings like that in IPL, list A and FC. l would want such cricketer to be representing India in all formats. Moreover he is an excellent fielder.

Edited by WC2011INDIA

earlier most on this forum didn't want pandey at all in any format. Majority of the posters called him a hack. Not me though. Been saying since 2011 to make him part of the team.

I say try him out in t20s and tests as well in place of out of form players. There always will be out of form players. Frankly he can do better than dhawan has been in test format. He has been very poor in majority of the test matches barring 2-3 innings. 

Oh and Pandey is pretty damn good t20 player. Has enough stroke making power. The main reason why KKr beat KXiP even after saha scored a century in the finals. He has played quite a few match winning innings like that in IPL, list A and FC. l would want such cricketer to be representing India in all formats. Moreover he is an excellent fielder.

just about anyone can. but, is he capable of opening? besides, iyer has done far better than pandey in recent times.

I'm one of those who called him a hack in the past.

Pandey has an X-factor to him, no doubt. Problem is, his technique looks a bit ungainly and unconvincing. His List A record is ok (a 50 every 4 games or so) while his First class record is pretty good. He is someone who could really kick on or fade into oblivion. We'll find out in the next year or so. 

Playing for KKR and Karnataka, he has been part of two successful teams over the last 3 years. He was a core member of the K'taka team and is probably next in line to be captain. Also a very good fielder, as you've mentioned. He has earned his opportunity; and by that I mean he has entered Dhoni's long rope club.

Pandey has an X-factor to him, no doubt. Problem is, his technique looks a bit ungainly and unconvincing. His List A record is ok (a 50 every 4 games or so) while his First class record is pretty good. He is someone who could really kick on or fade into oblivion. We'll find out in the next year or so. 

Playing for KKR and Karnataka, he has been part of two successful teams over the last 3 years. He was a core member of the K'taka team and is probably next in line to be captain. Also a very good fielder, as you've mentioned. He has earned his opportunity; and by that I mean he has entered Dhoni's long rope club.

I was unconvinced by him too in the past. In the last 2 list a seasons, he's been excellent though. Check out the vijay hazare stats for these yrs.

I was unconvinced by him too in the past. In the last 2 list a seasons, he's been excellent though. Check out the vijay hazare stats for these yrs.

Was highest scorer in 2014, solid in 2015 and mediocre in 2013.

2014-15 - good enough, right? Before that, he was a pretty mediocre List A player. Certainly seems to have improved over the past couple of reasons. In 2014, what stood out for me was both his consistency (avg) and speed (SR).

Was highest scorer in 2014, solid in 2015 and mediocre in 2013.

like vijy said his recent form in list A has been very good. And he always was better in test format. Many X factor players have done well in the past. You dont need to be technically sound or old school cricketer to succeed all the time. Sometimes there are other factors in play.

@vijy I really would like to see Pujara or Rahane open the batting in test with Murali and Pandey being drafted in middle order of test team. Rahane is anyways so good, if he spends more time at the crease he may score big 150+ or even 200+ scores in tests, so why not open with him.

Rahane

Murali

Pujara

Kohli

Pandey

Wk/batsman

And then the rest

OR

Pujara

Murali

Rahane

Virat

Pandey

Wk/batsman

The rest..

I think shikhar is not even 1/3 as good in test format as shorter format. So why waste time. Keep him in the squad incase..and if the pitch is superflat highyway  and opposition has weak bowlers then definitely open with him...basically token matches..lol

like vijy said his recent form in list A has been very good. And he always was better in test format. Many X factor players have done well in the past. You dont need to be technically sound or old school cricketer to succeed all the time. Sometimes there are other factors in play.

@vijy I really would like to see Pujara or Rahane open the batting in test with Murali and Pandey being drafted in middle order of test team. Rahane is anyways so good, if he spends more time at the crease he may score big 150+ or even 200+ scores in tests, so why not open with him.

Rahane

Murali

Pujara

Kohli

Pandey

Wk/batsman

And then the rest

OR

Pujara

Murali

Rahane

Virat

Pandey

Wk/batsman

The rest..

I think shikhar is not even 1/3 as good in test format as shorter format. So why waste time. Keep him in the squad incase..and if the pitch is superflat highyway  and opposition has weak bowlers then definitely open with him...basically token matches..lol

I'm with you for the most part. It's just that I see Iyer as even more promising than pandey, and that's my only change. Otherwise, I agree that Chepu or Rahane should open with Vijay. Another alternative is to find a keeper who opens (like Kishan, Bains or Bharath) and have them open.

I'm with you for the most part. It's just that I see Iyer as even more promising than pandey, and that's my only change. Otherwise, I agree that Chepu or Rahane should open with Vijay. Another alternative is to find a keeper who opens (like Kishan, Bains or Bharath) and have them open.

Chepu hasn't been consistent at all even at home. Big year this for him.

The fact that Chepu wasn't doing well in Aus and Rahul did makes me think in favor of Rahul.

Mind you, I'm not saying that Chepu is so good that his place deserves to be cemented. It's just that, esp in SC conditions, I'd rather have Chepu instead of KLR - and this can change, all the more so if Chepu fails.

The first reason why I want Rahane in the team is because he is a player who is showing constant improvement...which gives me hope that he will improve further  in ODIs too as he has done in the last 6 months.

Second reason is because he is capable of playing pace, bounce, seam and swing...perhaps the only  batsman who can play swing in this ODI team. In conditions where there is swing and seam, I would want him in my team.

Thirdly,..he has played some very good knocks in the last 2 series vs SA and Australia and also a very aggressive knock in WC vs SA  in Australia. He averages 48.5 in these 2 series with SR of 96.7 and these are 2 of the best opponents.

From ESPNCRICINFO : Link below

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/277916.html?class=2;spanmin1=01+Oct+2015;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

- other -      All Test/ODI/T20I      Youth Tests      Youth ODIs     
Records type batting analysis [change type]
View innings by innings list [change view]
Start of match date greater than or equal to 1 Oct 2015 remove greater than or equal to 1 Oct 2015 from query
Ordered by start date (ascending)
dblBakArwB.gifReturn to query menu
dblBakArwW.gifCleared query menu
Career averages
 MatInnsNORunsHSAveBFSR1005004s6s 
unfiltered67652209311133.22262979.61215620524Profile
filtered9803888948.5040196.75050345

Yes but do we have the patience to wait for him to get better in ODIs. He could easily do the same in domestic games and if selectors feel he's confident enough to play again. After the wicket of Kohli we are pretty much into our tail, but Pandey turned it around with his century, the likes of which we've never seen by Rahane in his entire career in ODIs. And here instead of supporting this new found player, we are discarding him on the doubts that if he could play the same way against swing bowlers. This mentality will get us nowhere. 

Edited by Lannister

http://www.wisdenindia.com/cricket-article/pandey-good-no-5-now-feels-dhoni/198521

So dhoni Feels Pandey is gud at 5. 

Which means Rahane -4, pandey -5, dhoni -6 and since no one bowls in top order. we dnt have 6th bowler so we ll have to play jadeja/rishi for 10 over quota instead of pandya about whom m nt sure that will he b able to give 10 over starightaway with less domestic exp . 

So that means again batting lacks firepower in lower order.

Rahane 4, dhoni 6, Rishi/Jadeja -7 easily minus 30 runs from our total. 

Pandey does bowl seam up.  He is better than Kohls.  Okay speeds for a batsman. He has bowled a lot in domestic recently. 

Yes but do we have the patience to wait for him to get better in ODIs. He could easily do the same in domestic games and if selectors feel he's confident enough to play again. After the wicket of Kohli we are pretty much into our tail, but Pandey turned it around with his century, the likes of which we've never seen by Rahane in his entire career in ODIs. And here instead of supporting this new found player, we are discarding him on the doubts that if he could play the same way against swing bowlers. This mentality will get us nowhere. 

Who is discarding Pandey ?  I want both Pandey and Rahane to play.  Look how well Rahane has played in the last 2 series too. It is not waiting for him to develop , he is already there. 

Whether you like it or not Rahane will be in the team. I really doubt either Dhoni or Kohli ( If he becomes the captain next ) will drop  him permanently based on his recent great performances. Actually...dropping good quality players based on  impatience will get us nowhere.

Edited by express bowling