This loss is to Dhonis account

Gambit

1 minute ago, diehardpacer said:

England,Windies,Saffas,NZ and Aus have big hitters after their openers.The luxury of keeping wickets early is there for those who can afford it.Heck even Amla saw this flat pitch and started hitting.

Roy,Hales,Guptill,Khawaja,De Kock,Amla have all used PP like it should be.If we have hitters in all positions,we wouldn't worry losing wickets early.Having bowlers who can bat helps them too.

so we need to select better players in middle order than Rahane and Raina.

5 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I said decent against movement...not necessarily very good....but not as bad as Dhawan.

Our openers are not real problems . They are as good as any opener in the world in ODIs. Our biggest problem is Rahane and Raina in the middle overs and lower order hitter, not Dhawan and Rohit. Take any opener in the world and the average and SR are comparable.

2 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

so we need to select better players in middle order than Rahane and Raina.

That's for sure.But they can do their job only for 14 overs.First 6 overs is no time to relax.Even somebody like Sehwag hardly used to hit many sixes.He was hitting lots of 4s. See the pitch in 1st over.Then either openers need to be good at finding gaps and time the ball well or they have to go big.Letting Kohli open would be best in the matches after WC.For NZ,Guptill goes big while Kane supports him.For Eng,both Roy and Hales go big. Bottomline don't waste balls.

14 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Our openers are not real problems . They are as good as any opener in the world in ODIs. Our biggest problem is Rahane and Raina in the middle overs and lower order hitter, not Dhawan and Rohit. Take any opener in the world and the average and SR are comparable.

Both being slow starters is a big problem in high-scoring T20s. Both being bad against movement is a problem on non-flat pitches and swing friendly conditions.  Overall ODI record does not always tell the full story.  Rohit is ok because he is a big hitter when he gets going and can hit sixes at will.  I am not happy with Dhawan.

I agree about what you are saying about our middle-order batting. High SR Pandya's addition has been very good. We need another high SR batsman in the middle order who can hit sixes too.  Someone like Hooda maybe.

Edited by express bowling
3 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Both being slow starters is a big problem in high-scoring T20s. Both being bad against movement is a problem on non-flat pitches and swing friendly conditions.  Overall ODI record does not always tell the full story.  Rohit is ok because he is a big hitter when he gets going and can hit sixes at will.  I am not happy with Dhawan.

I agree about what you are saying about our middle-order batting. High SR Pandya's addition has been very good. We need another high SR batsman in the middle order who can hit sixes too.  Someone like Hooda maybe.

I am talking about ODIs. Regarding T20s, Dhawan isnt a T20 player. I will play Iyer.

25 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

I am talking about ODIs. Regarding T20s, Dhawan isnt a T20 player. I will play Iyer.

I will be very happy if Jai Bista can perform consistently in domestic cricket.

He is a proper batsman with proper technique and an opener too  who can play at very high SR and has a wide range of powerful strokes.

He has the game to succeed in all 3 formats...and can be ideal for modern day LOIs.

I will keenly watch how he develops

Edited by express bowling
8 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I will be very happy if Jai Bista can perform consistently in domestic cricket.

He is a proper batsman with proper technique and an opener too  who can play at very high SR and has a wide range of powerful strokes.

He has the game to succeed in all 3 formats...and ican be ideal for modern day LOIs.

I will keenly watch how he develops

Bro how old is Jai Bista? Any videos of his batting?

Edited by Mosher
31 minutes ago, diehardpacer said:

That's for sure.But they can do their job only for 14 overs.First 6 overs is no time to relax.Even somebody like Sehwag hardly used to hit many sixes.He was hitting lots of 4s. See the pitch in 1st over.Then either openers need to be good at finding gaps and time the ball well or they have to go big.Letting Kohli open would be best in the matches after WC.For NZ,Guptill goes big while Kane supports him.For Eng,both Roy and Hales go big. Bottomline don't waste balls.

Sehwag was rubbish in T20Is.

Edited by rkt.india
20 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Sehwag was rubbish in T20Is.

He got rubbish once he lost his hand eye coordination.Majority of the starts he gave before that be it T20 or ODI,he was able to find gaps way to easily.

It's a player's choice to find a way to maximize the overs. Khawaja doesn't hit many 6s.Still he kept getting a flying start.

Barring the 4th ODI chase vs Aus and T20 vs SL,our openers have never teed off.

Players are inside,new ball coming on to bat and flat pitch.If players are not confident of hitting at this time,then they are not suited for these positions.

Seeing off the new ball only works in seaming tracks.Even on turners,best bat to hit is when pitch is fresh.

11 minutes ago, diehardpacer said:

He got rubbish once he lost his hand eye coordination.Majority of the starts he gave before that be it T20 or ODI,he was able to find gaps way to easily.

It's a player's choice to find a way to maximize the overs. Khawaja doesn't hit many 6s.Still he kept getting a flying start.

Barring the 4th ODI chase vs Aus and T20 vs SL,our openers have never teed off.

Players are inside,new ball coming on to bat and flat pitch.If players are not confident of hitting at this time,then they are not suited for these positions.

Seeing off the new ball only works in seaming tracks.Even on turners,best bat to hit is when pitch is fresh.

He was never really a great player in T20s and ODIs. I will take consistency over high SR from openers. An overall SR of 90 in ODIs is very good for any opener.

Edited by rkt.india
27 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

he was never really a great player in T20s and ODIs.

He was a better version of Afridi at that time.With Sachin,Gambhir,Yuvi in their prime,if we had a 5 overs 50 start,we were good to go.It's his SR in ODI in those overs that matters.He averaged 35 at SR 104 in ODIs.Besides we played very less international T20s at that time.Sehwag played only 19.So,no point in saying he was poor T20 player.Rohit has SR of 126 after 60 games and Dhawan only 113 after 22 games.

If you are playing 7 batsmen,no reason for openers to go slow at start.The game has changed.You cant play for the par score because there isn't any.If it's possible to get 15 runs per over in end,it's reasonable to expect openers to get 10-12 an over and disturb the bowler's rhythm from the start.We rarely do that.No loss in trying this approach.

Edited by diehardpacer
4 minutes ago, diehardpacer said:

He was a better version of Afridi at that time.With Sachin,Gambhir,Yuvi in their prime,if we had a 5 overs 50 start,we were good to go.

If you are playing 7 batsmen,no reason for openers to go slow at start.

Having an overall SR of 90 is not slow. Not many current openers have higher SR than that. Our batting in ODIs highly depend on top 3, the reason we need high average from them rather than high SR.

Edited by rkt.india