Hardik Pandya is a better bowler in Limited Overs than Ben Stokes

sandeep

8 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

On topic, Pandya has a long way to go before he can be considered the real deal but so far so good. I want to see how well he is bowling by the time champions trophy ends. His bowling is really vital to me. If he isn't keeping up with his good start he has given with the ball, then I might want to keep him out of the team. But for now, he deserves his run as he has scored runs and bowled well when others have gotten hit. 

First No one was taking  Pandya ' bowling seriously. Many were thinking he can't be trusted to bowl more than 2 overs ,he cant bowl over 135 kmph.He has shown a remarkable improvement in this 2 department. He has shown he can bowl at 145 kmph & now many has acknowledged that he has bowled better than the fast bowlers who are primarily choosen as bowlers.

He is showing great improvement in every games he plays.

10 minutes ago, tweaker said:

First No one was taking  Pandya ' bowling seriously. Many were thinking he can't be trusted to bowl more than 2 overs ,he cant bowl over 135 kmph.He has shown a remarkable improvement in this 2 department. He has shown he can bowl at 145 kmph & now many has acknowledged that he has bowled better than the fast bowlers who are primarily choosen as bowlers.

Yes, one can see the improvement. But he needs to keep at it. I liked his bowling more in that first warm up game which we lost. He looked really good first up. If he can keep that line, it will be good. But biggest challenge is keeping that line and length when your speed goes up. Many come and go even after bowling that fast. And also he has the added pressure of playing as an all-rounder now so his low scores often could play on his mind while bowling. This works well for some, while some end up bowling even more badly when they haven't scored runs as they end up trying too much in order to make some gains after a poor day with the bat. These things are going to be his biggest test in the coming months. 

Let's see how he manages all of that. All the best to him. 

19 minutes ago, tweaker said:

Yes....and such players are the ones to back.

On 17/10/2016 at 6:34 PM, maniac said:

Any way this OP is about a certain individual thinking that a certain bowler will be better in a certain format in comparison with a certain upcoming talented allrounder.......I think more power to the OP.

I can confidently say that Pandya is a better fielder than Stokes who himself is a world class athlete and as an Indian fan I hope instead of selective statistics which bother me I hope Pandya becomes better than Stokes in all 3 departments in all 3 formats :isalute:

Pie in Sky. Cant happen. Wont happen.

9 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

I remember a couple of years ago, Stokes had 4-5 ducks and 4-5 single digit scores across 10 or so innings, but the Engrish management persisted with him. Now they have a proven performer. I'd like us to show similar patience with Hardik.

Or look at how long a rope Aussie selectors are giving Mitchell Marsh.  

Pandya clearly has focused and improved his bowling.  His batting needs work too though, I hope that doesn't regress.  He has flashed proper batting ability with his cover drives, but his over-all game is a bit loose.  Not to mention shot selection.  The latter will improve with experience, if he's got half a brain.  But the former needs proper work and some match-practice away from the spotlight, where he can try out technical changes without the pressure of either scoreboard, or publicity.  

Overall, no need to hype him up, he's got a long way to go.  But a true pace bowling A/R prospect for Team India is a big deal.  He doesn't even have to be world-class to be a massive difference maker in our W/L.  And if he somehow turns out to be... :)

1st bad outing with the white ball - but still batted at 200 SR and got us the extra 20 runs that was the winning margin in the end.  Learning experience.  Still outdid over-hyped chav Ben Stokes with both bat and ball - and saved a few handy runs in the field as well.  

Bowled well again today although bit expensive up front. Came back well to finish with 3/49 in 10 after conceding 28 in his first 4. That's 6-0-21-3 in the business end, although on a helpful track.

Disappointed with his batting though. Poor dismissal. Could have won the game for India and a good MoM, but threw it away.

Needs work on temperament, shot selection, just batting in general. Clearly a work in progress on both sides of the ball. Worthy of investment though.

And still, comfortably out bowled the latest bothamNext.

13 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Bowled well again today although bit expensive up front. Came back well to finish with 3/49 in 10 after conceding 28 in his first 4. That's 6-0-21-3 in the business end, although on a helpful track.

Disappointed with his batting though. Poor dismissal. Could have won the game for India and a good MoM, but threw it away.

Needs work on temperament, shot selection, just batting in general. Clearly a work in progress on both sides of the ball. Worthy of investment though.

And still, comfortably out bowled the latest bothamNext.

I have no complaint with the shot he played. Needing 10 an over, you need to play your shots. Sometimes they come of, sometimes don't.

I have no complaint with the shot he played. Needing 10 an over, you need to play your shots. Sometimes they come of, sometimes don't.

I don't mind that he got out, especially going for a big shot. Not an issue with the outcome, but what was disappointing to me was his entire innings was way too streaky and chancy. I expect him to bat better than this, and suspect he still can. But doubts are there now.

He looks like a proper batsman driving the ball through the covers, and a total tailender a few balls later going for that wild heave. Reminiscent of the Razzaq method. Has the opportunity to develop and evolve as a batsman in our setup though. Still hopeful he grabs it. Can he get the right takeaways from this game and implement the changes required?. Let's see.

Sure, he can still be useful as a slogger who bowls. But can he bat at Raina levels?. I want to see him him attain higher standards. Raw skills are there. But sometimes, some guys are not able to take those next few steps. I hope he can. Team India will benefit massively if he does.

Pandya will become a much better batsman if only he can drastically cut down on the  " fully-committed-heave-ho-all-or-nothing shot " 

With the kind of bats available these days, most batsmen go for percentage shots and still manage to hit big sixes

His slogs, in an attempt to hit 6s, are a bit in the nature of '80s and '90s sloggers.

Needs to change this aspect and he will be good to go as a No.7 batsman.