Supreme Court removes Thakur, Shirke from top BCCI posts

bowl_out

I know it's hard, but try not to be partisan here. This is about judicial overreach, not Modi government. The judiciary are strictly interpreters of law; they are not enforcers. The judiciary is as corrupt as any of the sporting bodies and they have no business in hiring or firing people from private bodies. It can barely do its own job properly, so I find it rich when judges act all sanctimonious.

Look, I have no love for the BCCI netas but there is a limit for everything. Recommendations are recommendations, not diktats.  

If judiciary is corrupt then it is up to the government to cleanse it .

Has no remote relevance to the actions taken to bring accountability into BCCI .

Intact considering how all these politicians are part of the corrupt BCCI that the only way this would have happened is if Judiciary is involved .

The governments won't do anything about any sporting body because their own politicians are deep neck into these corrupt bodies .Unlike Judiciary which has no conflict of interest in this.

Intact what action did Modi govt take when there are complaints from Indian athletes at Rio Olympics where they were treated like slaves by the govt ?

States in India were divided linguistically based on demands from the public and for easier administration within the state using language as a unifying factor.

States in India receive funds from the center based on each state's share of taxes and duties.

Why should funds for administering cricket be divided based on language? You need the best eleven players from the country to represent the international team. What language he speaks is immaterial, that notion is absurd.

If Maharashtra and Gujarat receive excess funds for cricket administration and Bihar feels hard done by, then that is a problem that should be tackled separately. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Because that means then every state will have representation rather than couple of states monopolizing everything .

No one is suggesting give equal funds to every state board.But once there is fairer representation of one vote per state , monopolizing by couple of states will be broken.And once that happens then next step they can start funding based on the population of the states unlike current scenario of just allocating all the funds to their supporters.

How does it stop the best XI players from representing the country .If anything the current scenario is what what making sure it doesn't happen with their zero accountability or transparency

We did pretty well ,After many years we were in a chance of a medal.Hockey is a sport player by many countries unlike cricket.

All we needed in the final game to avoid Belgium was to beat Canada , a team not even fully professional,and we couldn't even do that.

In most of those countries ,hockey isn't even a recognisable sport with mearge funding compared to India .

Only reason we qualified for knock outs was because they changed the format .

9 hours ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Cricket in India is doing well,unlike all other sports and a lot of credit goes to BCCI.

So what if it is doing well? It is a corrupt organization and in dire need of reform.

That is like saying, a person who is doing well financially is above all censure even if his means are criminal, just because -uh- he is doing well financially.

What the BCCI is making the most noise about is the one state one vote recommendation. What irks them more is the directive that asks members to declare assets so that betting wins are easier understood. And what they object to the most is taking the IPL away from the BCCI at least till it has been thoroughly purged of all its corrupt practices.

On these two points, the SC makes a lot of sense.  

11 hours ago, jalebi_bhai said:

Judicial overreach. Corruption and nepotism are rampant in most sporting bodies in India, yet the SC sees it fit to interfere only in the affairs of the BCCI. What about the IOA which was derecognized? When will Lodha-ji bring out his recommendations for the IOA?  

If you feel its a case of judicial over-reach in the case of BCCI, why would it be any different in the case of the IOA? That is not a consistent position.

Besides, the SC 'intervention' could be based on the quantum of $ and the number of big businesses ( broadcasters, brands, tv channels, sport equipment companies, construction firms etc) who are major stake holders. The IOA may be far down the pecking order.

I'm sure the Indian Snakes and Ladder Association also must be corrupt and nepotistic to the core. But to expect the SC to interfere is asking for too much.

Having said all this, the SC has given its directive. Now it should have the executive enforce em. 

Has no remote relevance to the actions taken to bring accountability into BCCI .

Intact considering how all these politicians are part of the corrupt BCCI that the only way this would have happened is if Judiciary is involved .

The governments won't do anything about any sporting body because their own politicians are deep neck into these corrupt bodies .Unlike Judiciary which has no conflict of interest in this.

Intact what action did Modi govt take when there are complaints from Indian athletes at Rio Olympics where they were treated like slaves by the govt ?

How will the govt cleanse the judiciary when judges appoint themselves?And any attempt to reforms like NJAC is struck down.

4 hours ago, Mariyam said:

If you feel its a case of judicial over-reach in the case of BCCI, why would it be any different in the case of the IOA? That is not a consistent position.

Besides, the SC 'intervention' could be based on the quantum of $ and the number of big businesses ( broadcasters, brands, tv channels, sport equipment companies, construction firms etc) who are major stake holders. The IOA may be far down the pecking order.

I'm sure the Indian Snakes and Ladder Association also must be corrupt and nepotistic to the core. But to expect the SC to interfere is asking for too much.

Having said all this, the SC has given its directive. Now it should have the executive enforce em. 

In reply to the bold, yes, it is inconsistent of the SC to cherry pick which sport it wishes to reform. (my question was clearly rhetorical but since you deemed it worthy to reply)

The job of the judiciary is to interpret the law by passing judgments. Its job is neither to make laws nor to enforce them. Last time I checked, employee recruitment/redundancies of a private body don't come under the ambit of interpreting the law and hence, is not the judiciary's business.

If any illegality has been committed then sure, the judiciary can instruct the relevant investigative agency on what to do but this is not the case here. Ordering the removal of two elected members of a private body simply because they refused to implement recommendations (and I repeat, recommendations) is Tughlaqesque. It is downright despotic.

The major stake holders you've mentioned have entered into business contracts with the BCCI and unless those contracts have been breached, they have nothing to complain wrt the BCCI. If anything, the 'recommendation' to stop/reduce advertisements between overs by the Lodha committee would upset these stake holders the most. What makes the committee an authority in deciding this?

I know context matters, but if you want to set a silly precedent (and this is my main problem here) by reforming sport, then why stop with the BCCI? Why should the IOA, Indian Snakes and Ladders Association, Indian Hide & Seek Federation, Board of Control for Book Cricket in India etc. be spared by the SC? You think it is too much but I ask you, can the battle against corruption and nepotism ever be too much?

The SC fulfilled its duty by dealing with the spot fixing saga. Now, it is simply over indulging. 

Edited by jalebi_bhai
Each association has its own academy in the state.The IPL teams are also bound to run talent scouting programmes.The BCCI has the NCA and academies in Chennai and Mohali.

They are NCA mostly used for grooming cricketers already part of the process.Not talent academies to identify potential kids and groom them .

Comparison German football FA has academies every 20km through out the country to identify talent with fully qualified coaches spotting talented youngsters from a young age and grooming .

So how many academies are the richest cricket board in the world running to find talented kids in India? Or how many coaches have employed to develop youngsters ?

The actual answer is Zero.

Because BCCI don't care about developing cricket in India as long as money flows into its coffers .

7 hours ago, BeautifulGame said:

Huh? So the corrupt politicians, who the SC is trying to protect cricket from, should cleanse the judiciary, the same body which is trying to get rid of the same corrupt politicians? How exactly does that work?

And the credibility and qualifications of the Lodha committee are incredibly relevant to the matter. What makes it an authority on cricket administration? 

I honestly don't think more govt. or judicial intervention is going to solve the problem of administrative corruption, so you're honestly asking your questions to the wrong guy.

If you're looking for my suggestions, I would start by demanding transparency. Since the BCCI enjoys privileges that most private bodies don't, I would say that bringing it under RTI act would be a reasonable demand. Ditto with state boards. 

4 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

The SC has made no such recommendation.

The Lodha committee made such recommendation and SC has rejected it.

That's what I meant. Thanks for pointing the mistake.

PS: LOL, see what I'm saying? Such a silly suggestion.

Edited by jalebi_bhai
They are NCA mostly used for grooming cricketers already part of the process.Not talent academies to identify potential kids and groom them .

Comparison German football FA has academies every 20km through out the country to identify talent with fully qualified coaches spotting talented youngsters from a young age and grooming .

So how many academies are the richest cricket board in the world running to find talented kids in India? Or how many coaches have employed to develop youngsters ?

The actual answer is Zero.

Because BCCI don't care about developing cricket in India as long as money flows into its coffers .

The BCCI gives money to state associations to run academies.State associations run academies in state capital and districts.They further give out money to member clubs to run their academies.

On 02/01/2017 at 8:11 AM, Malcolm Merlyn said:

The SC will appoint a group of retired judges to run BCCI.I wonder if retired judges are all knowing.They will claim hefty salaries and benefits.The ICC will treat BCCI as it treats other asian boards.There was one sport in India that was doing well,thanks SC for destroying it.

Now the only hope is that they conduct an election at BCCI ASAP.

Exactly. No one is questioning or no PIL in case of IOA which appointed proven corrupt like Chautala and Kalmadi.

5 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

It is not Glamourous na.And most likely will not be able to pay 5L per sitting

Srini and Pawar gone, Case would have closed. I allwas thought its greed on part of judges which is driving this.

Private bodies are driven by market. I hope CBI looks at account details of judges and kins of these judges. Sure there are few Rohit Tandons involved here.

10 hours ago, BeautifulGame said:

All we needed in the final game to avoid Belgium was to beat Canada , a team not even fully professional,and we couldn't even do that.

In most of those countries ,hockey isn't even a recognisable sport with mearge funding compared to India .

Only reason we qualified for knock outs was because they changed the format .

We reached quarters its no mean feat.We qualified as we beat teams and played good hockey ,we beat eventual winners argentina in group stage.Every olympic sport is funded well .Hockey is more of a global game than cricket where you have 5-6 countries good teams.Its more ot improvement in fitness levels we were able to compete in olympics and last year has been good for hockey team.Regarding money in cricket its because of india,eng,aus.

12 hours ago, BeautifulGame said:

Yeah and how did we do in Olympics months back where it actually matters ?

The post you quoted stated

At least our Hockey team is improving 

If one actually looks at the results, one can see:

2012 London Olympics

Team
Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png Netherlands 5 5 0 0 18 7 +11 15
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Germany 5 3 1 1 14 11 +3 10
23px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png Belgium 5 2 1 2 8 7 +1 7
23px-Flag_of_South_Korea.svg.png South Korea 5 2 0 3 9 8 +1 6
23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png New Zealand 5 1 2 2 10 14 −4 5
23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India 5 0 0 5 6 18 −12 0

2016 Rio Olympics:

Group B[edit]

Pos Team
Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification
1 23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Germany 5 4 1 0 17 10 +7 13 Quarter-finals
2 23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png Netherlands 5 3 1 1 18 6 +12 10
3 23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png Argentina 5 2 2 1 14 12 +2 8
4 23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India 5 2 1 2 9 9 0 7
5 23px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png Ireland 5 1 0 4 10 16 −6 3  
6 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada 5 0 1 4 7 22 −15 1

Hmmm... It looks like we got more wins(and draws), more goals scored, and less goals against. The team lost to the Silver medalists in the QF. It looks like the team did indeed improve. :thumb:

Edited by Tibarn